So Floyd do you have anything to do with the new Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1N

So on Facebook tonight I see Kitty Hawk has announced a 1/48 UH-1N in dark blue US Navy markings. Obviously will be based on their UH-1H right? New dog house and new fuselage halves. ot sure what else would be required, well cockpit obviously.

Will be good to have so I can use it for my Canadian Twin Huey and not have to work with the Italeri kit which I have been struggling with for the last few years and probably why it sits on the shelf of despair.

Edited by skyhawk174
  • 2 weeks later...

Based on the UH-1D/H???  Kittyhawk may thinks so; but, they're NOTHING alike!!  Maybe seats???

Guessing if Floyd had any say, he'd be kicking ans screaming AH-1G Cobra you dummies!!!

I sure would!!!

A Bell 212/UH-1H does have it's place; BUT, it come AFTER the AH-1G and even the UH-1C/M Hueys!!

Bo

On 9/1/2018 at 9:01 AM, jabow said:

Based on the UH-1D/H???  Kittyhawk may thinks so; but, they're NOTHING alike!!  Maybe seats???

Guessing if Floyd had any say, he'd be kicking ans screaming AH-1G Cobra you dummies!!!

I sure would!!!

A Bell 212/UH-1H does have it's place; BUT, it come AFTER the AH-1G and even the UH-1C/M Hueys!!

Bo

I get you Bo, but the 212/UH-1N has WAY more international appeal than the Cobra (although both Floyd and I would love a new tool Cobra).  There are a  lot of differences but there are also similarities between the H and N.  Just look at the Huey II.  It started life as a UH-1H and after adding 212 drive train, tailboom and L703 engine, viola a new bird.  So the fuselage is good, but, ironically, the seats are not.  USAF and Marines used totally different seats form the US Army.  If you looks at the layout of the KH kit, you can see they planned for lots of updated parts for the N model.  If they do it right, there will be a LOT of updating!

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

Ray thanks for the mini update. Did not realize that he seats were different.. I really want to build the Bell 412 used by the Canadian Air Force. I had started to modify the Italeri UH-1N kit using the Belcher Bits set but maybe I will use the KH kit instead.

On 9/8/2018 at 9:54 AM, biggu said:

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/148conv/bb8.htm

This is the one I am thinking of getting, as far as I know the only one out there in 1/48 scale...

Yeah Mike's set is great. I actually provide Mike with some photo references when I was able to get access to the CAF squadron using the 412. Some of the photos in the instructions are mine. Lots of changes to the Italeri kit which was all we had at the time.

I plan to build a lot of 212/Ns, for example some Italian Aeronautica Militare ones, Marines Abandon chutes, USAF missile security birds, hmmm what more?

I agree, a 412 would look amazing, i just hope someone could release some resin conversion when the N comes out. 

Ohhh and i will surely build a couple of Huey IIs also.

Rod.

• 2 months later...

Me too Scooby..................... also I just grabbed the 412 conversion from Mike Belcher.................... I'm dying for this one, seems like all has gone awful silent.. I am ever so hopeful...... as well as the new release from Itlaeri for the 206, I'm hopeful there too.....

Jeff

On 11/25/2018 at 9:20 AM, biggu said:

Me too Scooby..................... also I just grabbed the 412 conversion from Mike Belcher.................... I'm dying for this one, seems like all has gone awful silent.. I am ever so hopeful...... as well as the new release from Itlaeri for the 206, I'm hopeful there too.....

Jeff

I had a hand in the 412 conversion. Agree on the sudden silence.

The issue with the UH-1N is that the Marine and Air Force versions are vastly different.  On top of that, the Marine N was vastly different from Desert Storm until it’s retirement so deciding what era to depict was an issue.  

I did have some input but not as much as usual.  I was really busy.  I based my findings on a Marine UH-1N from just after Desert Storm.  The kit may have the later sensors as well.  Again I only have a little input when it comes to that.  I did not have any input into the decal selection.  Werner’s Wings will do a sheet because I owe it to Patrick Namanski to do his last flight helicopter. 

Floyd

8 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

The issue with the UH-1N is that the Marine and Air Force versions are vastly different.  On top of that, the Marine N was vastly different from Desert Storm until it’s retirement so deciding what era to depict was an issue.  

I did have some input but not as much as usual.  I was really busy.  I based my findings on a Marine UH-1N from just after Desert Storm.  The kit may have the later sensors as well.  Again I only have a little input when it comes to that.  I did not have any input into the decal selection.  Werner’s Wings will do a sheet because I owe it to Patrick Namanski to do his last flight helicopter. 

Floyd

I have some shots of HML-711 wearing OD and the Lizzard paint jobs if you're interested for the sheet. 

Jabow, the UH-1H and -1N share base fuselage from the B-Pillar back, also below the engine deck. the rotor system except blades are identical. Tail rotors and engines are different of course.

So the similarities are there to use. easier than tooling a complete kit ala AH-1... 

• 1 year later...

I'm a fan of the gray/white USAF scheme of the 70s-early '80s.

The local USAF Ns, went from the green/green/tan Vietnan-style scheme to that in the mid'70s. Then they went to Euro 1. Now they're green/gray.