Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1N Twin Huey

Actually, when we really look at it, helicopters of ALL sorts are very under represented, in pretty much any scale.... oh yeah there are some, but it seems no matter which manufacturer or machine they decide to model, there are always many inaccuracies, and I get there are as many mods to any given machine as the number of machines out in the real world, but sometimes they can't even get the basic shape correct, which would be a good place to start................ the 1/32 Bell '206' from Revell comes to  mind as a prime example................ just my 2 cents worth......

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 10:52 PM, 11bee said:

It's got a two bladed main rotor and a two bladed tail rotor.   Close enough for most of us! Knowing Kitty Hawk, it will be something in between anyway.   

Kitty Hawk's helicopters are well done.

23 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Kitty Hawk's helicopters are well done.

I'll stand by my opinion.  Kitty Hawk's helos have good and bad points, like most kits out there.   Certainly not garbage but they also certainly aren't close to Tamiya-like quality either. 

• 4 months later...

Well ( explitive  deleted).  Why do I even bother sending them refs when they are just choosing to ignore them!  Those are D/H main rotor blades with no variable chord!  You can't fix that easily.  Sad since the rest of the kit looks great.  Oh well, I tried at least.

Ray

1 hour ago, rotorwash said:

Well ( explitive  deleted).  Why do I even bother sending them refs when they are just choosing to ignore them!  Those are D/H main rotor blades with no variable chord!  You can't fix that easily.  Sad since the rest of the kit looks great.  Oh well, I tried at least.

Ray

I didn't even notice that.......and I just heaped a bunch of praise on their Facebook page regarding the kit!

It is a fantastic kit in most respects.  I'm sure it will get fixed at some point.  Sometimes they just get ahead of themselves trying to get kits out the door.  Now I'm thinking about how to fix it.  Maybe this styrene strips faired into the trailing edge of the main rotor.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
22 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

It is a fantastic kit in most respects.  I'm sure it will get fixed at some point.  Sometimes they just get ahead of themselves trying to get kits out the door.  Not I'm thinking about how to fix it.  Maybe this styrene strips faired into the trailing edge of the main rotor.

Ray

I had my Italeri November listed for sale and just put it back in the stash. It has the correct main rotors, so I'm just going to use them.

2 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I had my Italeri November listed for sale and just put it back in the stash. It has the correct main rotors, so I'm just going to use them.

The rotorhead details on the KH kit will blow the old Italeri kit away though.  I am wondering how well the Italeri blades could be removed from the rotorhead and bashed together with the KH rotorhead though.  Watching the video several times I see KH chose to use the main rotor sprue and weapons and door sprue from the D/H kit.  Basically they did the same thing Italeri did in reverse.  Since Italeri did the N before the D/H, they just used the N main rotor sprue for their D/H kit.  Some good things about the kit include: good detail on the overhead panel unlike the empty one on the D/H kit (but the old D/h featureless one is also on the main rotor sprue), correct symmetrical instrument panel, correct wide chord tail rotor (although the old D/H one is included as well), correct pilot seats for the N (the old D/H sprues still have the armor for the old style seats as well), it looks like they refined the detail on the fuselage so it isn't quite a recessed as it was on the D/H, and most important of all, they got the freaking nose profile correct!  The incorrect nose what really kills the Italeri/Panda/Dragon kits for me.

Ray 

4 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

did they fix the scissors issue that was mirrored on the D/H?

Sadly No! From what i see on Florys review, the kit comes with two new sprues, mainly fuselage and engine parts, the rest are from the D kit, just terrible. Looks like they didnt pay much attention to detail on this one. But again, its superior than the italeri one so ill buy a couple.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 12:18 AM, CharlieUH-1H said:

There is nothing that Styrene can’t fix.. so let’s build this ... 

I ordered one on eBay about two weeks ago. The seller’s auction said it was in stock. I found out today he won’t have them until end of June, first week of July. Kind of pissed being misled.

15 hours ago, Scooby said:

I ordered one on eBay about two weeks ago. The seller’s auction said it was in stock. I found out today he won’t have them until end of June, first week of July. Kind of pissed being misled.

AND he probably has YOUR money too...... damn...