1/48 Czech Model F3D-2 Skyknight

Latest build is finished and off the bench.  This is the 1/48 Czech Model F3D-2 Skyknight finished with Aeromaster decals for VMCJ-2 "Playboys".  Kit is finished with Mr Color 315 for the topside grey and Mission Models white and black paint on the bottom and nose.  AK Xtreme Metalizers were used for all metallic shades.  Overall finish is gloss from Mission Models.  The kit is what one would expect for a short run kit and is definitely not a weekend build.  My fuselage halves were severely warped and it took a good deal of shimming to get the wings level.  Good references are needed, as the kit instructions are not the best.

If anyone has suggestions for improving my picture taking abilities, I'm all ears.  I seem to be struggling with capturing the true grey color of the model.  These photos seem to have a brownish tint.

bNVOazc.jpg

ZZVV4wY.jpg

DweePrH.jpg

k8ND5WE.jpg

45knca8.jpg

FRan5zQ.jpg

VeJJPx3.jpg

keMoLGd.jpg

gcXieh5.jpg

VNKyw3x.jpg

HwHvPIw.jpg

1 hour ago, lockheed2004 said:

If anyone has suggestions for improving my picture taking abilities, I'm all ears.  I seem to be struggling with capturing the true grey color of the model.  These photos seem to have a brownish tint.

She came out nicely after all that work.

Right now I can't remember the hardcore technical details but the lighting makes a difference - light has something called a color temperature, which can be other than white.

And the light color will interact with the paint hue, and all that will interact with the camera's white balance setting. 

And it is 10:39 pm, and I don't feel good, and those generalizations are the best I can offer right now.

Edited by southwestforests
  • 2 weeks later...

In photography and enlarging, there is card stock you can acquire that is called "neutral gray". Shoot your subject with a glimpse of the card in the frame, then adjust your printer or enlarger filters to get that card to neutral gray.  Today, one would use Photoshop or similar to do the adjustment digitally instead of using chemicals, but the concept is the same.

Looks very good. For photography, you can look up "white balance" or "white calibration cards" and go from there. Using lightbulbs with cooler (blue) color temperature (the higher the cooler) would also help. However, if you are using a basic photo editing SW, you may be able to post-adjust the temperature, as I did below with your pic. See the "temperature" slider. 

aaaa.jpg

Wow that is nice. I have that kit too but afraid to start it from what I have read of the reviews. You seemed to have weathered the storm and got a great result.

When I take my photos I use a DSLR so I can control the white balance. I take a picture of a white card for the white balance setting. That gets me the right colours for the model. There are also settings in most cameras for the different light sources. Not sure what camera you are using but you may want to check some of the options on it.