Here are a few pictures of my LVM Soyuz LUT.  A few more kit parts to add and then some final detailing.  I have a few Armory and Eastern Express vehicles to put on the base along with some little Prieser figures. Do you have any suggestions on other items I can stick on the base?  The only reference shots I have are from the LVM reference CD, which shows several configurations.  My model is pretty much an amalgamation of several of those pictures.  

Any suggestions are appreciated.  

Chris

5A770F70-B3E0-4D9C-A1F8-09A01C059CD2_zps

How about a few more pix Chris?

Because when I looked at it, the circular base of the Launch pad looked like part of the model ... and the rest of the base, I thought, was the box the model came in.

The Burgundy square that the launch pad is sitting on, seems to separate the Rocket from the rest of the diorama.

I'm not at all familiar with the Launching Pad of the Soyuz, but the Circular base on the Burgundy square doesn't look real. I'll see what I can find online, but I would make that circular base less perfect by adding greeblies and 'equipment' that might be on the pad ...

But, I also have to say ... that base looks terrific!  :thumbsup:

Pete

The picture immediately below is a composite of the LVM kit (gray square), Good Smile carrier rail section (black), and scratchbuilt Styrene added by me.  One of my reference shots has a pad with the anti-fouling red, so I went with it.  There’s a lot more going on “real world”, but I went with the 22”x8” display out of convenience.  I haven’t seen too many pictures of the real thing, so artistic license has been taken on my part.  

Chris

A2C09B4F-27A7-4AD7-89CD-4AD681ED5F52_zps

223B0D7D-B26B-4DC1-8951-27B1F1C497AB_zps

AB003420-DA79-482E-9D79-8F184CE2854C_zps

FA617BE7-5BC7-4CCC-82A6-71C40E667492_zps[/URL]

F7CBF7BE-2EA8-419F-AB3E-E8CAFB15447B_zps

A512071F-B95F-438B-BB17-1D2565DD3625_zps

2A420A5B-CAC4-413E-B0C9-44657C230B91_zps

19E66AA6-65C7-4A7C-B893-5FF295B34EF2_zps

Edited by swimmer25k

The environment of the Baikonur cosmodrome in the Kazakh steppe is quite drab, there are barely greeblies ... hmmm.gif

Soyuz_expedition_19_launch_pad.jpg

Source: wikimedia.org

soyuz-31_pad.jpg

Source: spacefacts.de

Here are more impressive pictures. up040577.gif 

And rocket blessing must not be missing too, let us pray ... pray.gif

Edited by spaceman

Thanx for the extra pix Chris.  Your build looks mighty impressive! Really nice work on all that PhotoEtch too ... really nice!  :thumbsup:

And you may be be misunderstanding what I mean by Greeblies. Here's an article and the image is the same view as in your 1st post  ... by Greeblies, I mean things like the Yellow and Black Caution paint, the Yellow Rollers, there's a grey box with a piece of equipment at the 7:30 position on the Burgundy square and all the little boxes and protrusions on the Launch Pad's surface. Greeblies just 'busy up' the surface of the model to make it look less pristine.

http://lenta.inform.kz/en/iss-bound-piloted-spacecraft-soyuz-ms-09-installed-on-launch-pad-at-baikonur-spaceport_a3276093

On this image look at where the raising hardware is on the platform and you'll see a lot of little boxes and items that simply interrupt the bland surface with some 'detail'.

If you can put in some railings, that would give the viewer more of an indication that this is the ENTIRE launch structure.

And I didn't realize you had built the LUT in a hole ( thanx for those extra pix! ) ... it would be terrific to be able to get some light in there, somehow, to show us that there is indeed a big cutout down there. You've added a lot of valuable detail in there, you should let the judges see it too!

To my eye, this just needs that little bit more. Your model, as it is, is lovely! But it's like a modeller building a model Spitfire, let's say, out of the box. It's paint is perfect, there are no seams ... it's pretty good. But another modeller, has perfect paint too, but weathers his Spitfire, adds brake lines, paint chips, an antenna wire, flattens the tires a bit and adds these little, seemingly insignificant 'details' ... but which one captures the viewer's attention?

Please Chris, do NOT take any of this as a criticism ... your build is still eye-candy ... but it could be ... just a little more visually attractive.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the comments.  The model isn’t finished yet.  I still have to add the yellow counterbalances and stairs to the outer areas of the LUT.  I also have the artwork done for the warning ring, but I haven’t been able to find someone to make it into a decal for me.  

I also have some cabling to add to many of the umbilicals.  

Chris