Kitty Hawk teaser?

And the early -3 had the narrow chord wing along with the slats. So that little corner of the LE by the fuselage should NOT be detachable as it appears in the digital rendering/photo above. That was a feature of the extended chord (6"-3") fixed leading edge wing of later FJ-3s, as the LE extended over the ammo bay that was hinged downward. To open the bay, crews had to remove that little corner of the LE first. But this is a detail that may not matter to most modelers (or kit manufacturers, for that matter).

Well, having the slats on the wide wing is better than NOT having them on the narrow wing. Sword's kit is kind of a bear to add slats to.

At least this way, the modeler can glue the slats in and fill the seams, and have an FJ-3 in LGG over White (and one Blue one if he chooses, with various wing fence options)

If they don't give versions for a real Hard wing, and a real Slat wing,,,,,I guess a modeler could do the "slice a sliver off the leading edge" deal, and sand the front of the wing root to allow clearance for the bay.

Ammo bay doors FJ-3 early top, FJ-3 late bottom. Added three more. Third down FJ-3 late (hard to see but there, the swing down triangle fillet, fourth down FJ-3 early (note the triangle shape ON the doors), fifth down FJ-3 late (note the swing down fillet under the wing below the aircrew's left foot).

FJ-23early.jpg

FJ-3 late.jpg

FJ-3 late (2).jpg

FJ-3 early.jpg

FJ-3 late (3).jpg

Edited by jpk

Oops,  my bad. Apparently it is an early -3. I had thought that the -2 had slats and the -3 had a hard wing with a cambered leading edge. I was mistaken. If the late -3 did have a cambered leading edge, then it would require more than just glue the slats up to get a late -3. 

Yes, but it would at least be the beginning of fixing any "mixed up wing chord" problem.

A "hard wing shape, but with slats" molding would require some kind of surgery or work to correct, no matter what decals get released with a kit.

Bottom line is that a "one and done" mentality won't cut the mustard even when dealing with very similar airframes. Do it right the first time and have separate  moldings for the -2, -3/3m or include the unique parts for say the slatted vs the hard wing. It will cost more for sure but err on the side of accuracy.

Just my 2cents!

Jim

38 minutes ago, jimm33 said:

Bottom line is that a "one and done" mentality won't cut the mustard even when dealing with very similar airframes. Do it right the first time and have separate  moldings for the -2, -3/3m or include the unique parts for say the slatted vs the hard wing. It will cost more for sure but err on the side of accuracy.

Just my 2cents!

Jim

Erring on the side of accuracy isn't a trait that KH is typically known for.   We'll see how this kit turns out....

2 hours ago, jimm33 said:

Just my 2cents!

Jim

I think the way KH is going, in order to accommodate the subtle differences between the -2, -3 early and -3 late is with mold inserts. There will be inserts for the fuselage scoops, lower forward fuselage and then the leading edges of the wings. It should be a fairly simple thing to accomplish. Many kits these days have inserts for different versions.