F-111 related question

Hello everyone,

I'm between buying in 1/72, either the Monogram, or the Hasegawa F-111, and since the price does play a role, I was wondering when the F-111s were parked did they had their wings' flaps and slats fully deployed or not?

Many thanks,

Sernak

In most instances yes, they were static with slats, flaps, down with wings spread and tail stabs at an angle.  You would not be wrong to display one with wings swept back though, occasionally they were on the ramp or HAS that way too, but mostly wings forward.  If you see a Hasegawa F-111 BUY IT!  They are the best representation of the Vark.  Monogram made a decent EF-111A, buy it too if you choose, but The Hasegawa F-111 series are the best!

John

ex F-111 avionics tech

Looks like I'm gonna have to buy the Hasegawa kit because I just remembered that a few years ago I had read somewhere that the Monogram kit had an issue with the intakes cones - they are in the wrong position....

Anyhow, thanks for your reply John.

The Hasegawa kit is indeed and excellent kit, however, overpriced.

4 hours ago, habu2 said:

Does Monogram offer a version other than the EF-111 in 72nd?  

I don’ t think Monogram did another version, only the EF-111A in 1/72.  The old Airfix & Revell kits were basic and show their age now.  ESCI did a 1/72 F-111 that was decent in the late 1980’s, scribed panel lines, but not up to the Hasegawa standard for detail.  The HAS F-111 series holds up well for being a 30 yr old mold, it really is a well engineered kit and not as complicated as it looks, I built a Pease FB In 1990 and have collected about 10 more over the years of all versions but have been stuck in 1/48 scale for the past 20 years.   They do get released from time to time but sell out pretty fast.  If only we could get a decent 1/48 mold.

John

17 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

ESCI did a 1/72 F-111 that was decent in the late 1980’s, scribed panel lines, but not up to the Hasegawa standard for detail. 

John

Hi John,

You're right, ESCI did a decent F-111 however, it has some issues. I think I've mentioned this for the Monogram kit but, actually it concerns the ESCI kit. From what I have read it has the intakes' cones in the wrong position (extended), plus, the cockpit and therefore the front airframe is a bit wider than what it should be.

The Hasegawa 1/72 Raven is indeed an excellent kit but, check those prices on Ebay. Way off my "financial" abilities!!!

I guess I'm gonna have to postpone this purchase also.

Anyhow, thanks for your help guys.

It very much depends on where it was parked if you are talking about a UK based plane.

They usually had the wings flaps & slats down, the glove veins up, spoilers closed, tail plane drooped. If parked with the engines off then one nozzle would be open while the other would be closed...

As good as the Hasegawa kit is it isnt correct in all ways. You would for instance need to show it with the engines running on the ground, in which case the blow in doors on the intakes would be held open as the engines fight for air on the ground...

Ive got pictures of the E and F in all manner of configurations, wings in mid sweep with the tail up or down and at some shows even wings fully back with the tail flat...
The one thing all the kits have in common is the lack of an accurate way to represent one engine nozzle closed.

Model it how you like, Im sure I could come up with a photo to show its proto-typical. 

Not really. The Hasegawa kit is the best kit of her, you just have to show it in a spercific scene for the configuration to be proto-typical thats all.

The TPII blow in doors is a problem on all the kits without exception... Ive seen many a "pro built" model perfect in every way except the blow in doors should be open for that particular pose.

4 hours ago, ikar said:

Does this help?

scan0273.jpg

Look at those lines! Simply beautiful!!!

Yes, your photos are helpful Ikar and thanks for sharing. By the way, what about the intakes' cones? Were they positioned differently when the aircrafts were parked? Any close-up photos of this detail?

That part I didn't notice.  Normally I only got close to the aircraft when I had to and then I would be to occupied to notice things like that.  These shots I took during my off duty time with the permission of the base information office where you had t get a form filled out to access the flight line.  At the time I knew almost nothing of how these machines worked because it wasn't my job and people didn't want me around anyway, on or off duty unless there was trouble.

If you are doing a 1:48 scale F-111 with Triple Plow II inlets (D,E, F, G or FB), you'll want to get a set of intakes from D-Mold:

http://www.dmold-modelworks.com/contents/en-us/d2.html

For a rundown on F-111 inlets, see here:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/f111indetailjr_1.htm

There are nine parts to this series that you can reference by replacing the 1 at the end of the above url with 2-9.

Jim