Best 1/48 F-16?

All,

I've searched for the answer to my title question,  but I haven't found a discussion that is more recent than, say, 5+ years ago.   With those reviews, it seems as though the favorite is the Tamiya F-16C as the kit of choice.  As of today, in 2018. does anyone have an opinion about whether Tamiya is still on top in 1/48 scale?  If so, and I'm seeing that this was a 2008 vintage, does the Tamiya F-16 have any issues with flash (etc.) given that the models have to be pretty old.  Any fit issues as a result?  Or, as of today, is there a better kit in 1/48?  I'd be willing to do almost any version, as long as the kit is super good, fit-wise, though from my albeit limited research, I think I'd lean toward the F-16C.

Sorry if this is tired old subject, but my desire is to have 1/48 scale models of the F-14. F-15 and F-16, plus the F-4C, and I think I've got a number of the Soviet 1/48 Cold War planes.  So, any thoughts about the best 1/48 F-16?

37 minutes ago, Curt B said:

All,

I've searched for the answer to my title question,  but I haven't found a discussion that is more recent than, say, 5+ years ago.   With those reviews, it seems as though the favorite is the Tamiya F-16C as the kit of choice.  As of today, in 2018. does anyone have an opinion about whether Tamiya is still on top in 1/48 scale?  If so, and I'm seeing that this was a 2008 vintage, does the Tamiya F-16 have any issues with flash (etc.) given that the models have to be pretty old.  Any fit issues as a result?  Or, as of today, is there a better kit in 1/48?  I'd be willing to do almost any version, as long as the kit is super good, fit-wise, though from my albeit limited research, I think I'd lean toward the F-16C.

Sorry if this is tired old subject, but my desire is to have 1/48 scale models of the F-14. F-15 and F-16, plus the F-4C, and I think I've got a number of the Soviet 1/48 Cold War planes.  So, any thoughts about the best 1/48 F-16?

In my humble opinion......it's still the Tamiya F-16.  I prefer the F-16 Aggressors boxing because of its flexibility!

For any USAF F-16C the Tamiya kit is the way to go.  

Some export versions have options not available in the Tamiya kit e.g. conformal fuel tanks, extended parabrake housing etc.  For those you can kitbash with parts from various Kinetic or Hasegawa kits.

still waiting for Tamiya to do a 2-seater......

Edited by habu2
28 minutes ago, habu2 said:

still waiting for Tamiya to do a 2-seater......

That's funny. I think I will be 6 feet under when they do it. Imagine even Hasegawa and Kinetic released 2 seaters and the best F-16 is languishing in single seater land. I still live in hope.

6 hours ago, habu2 said:

or an "A"....

Good point habu2. I forgot about that. I think it is only the Hasegawa kit where you can do an F-16A. Oh wait what about the very old ESCI kit or the original Tamiya?

I would like an A as I could use up some of my many decal sheets that I have in my stash.

1 minute ago, skyhawk174 said:

I think it is only the Hasegawa kit where you can do an F-16A.

Oh wait what about the very old ESCI kit or the original Tamiya?

err, umm, no.  

The ESCI, Monogram and Tamiya (and Hobbycraft) kits were all a mix of YF prototype and FSD production “A”s.

If you can live with raised panel lines the old Revell kit builds into a decent A.  They can be found for very little $$ as well.

The Academy kit is kind of a mix between Hasegawa and Revell IMO.   Better than the Italeri kits as well.

Hasegawa kits are still nice; and can be found in a plethora of versions and blocks. For the C, Tamiya is king. 

Block 40/42, however, seems to be the most elusive. It all seems as easy as building a 50/52 until you realize you need the WAR HUD, the bigger wheels and gear doors, and other details. I’m not even sure a true CG could be built from any boxing of Hasegawa. 

Edited by jester292
On 8/29/2018 at 3:16 PM, airmechaja said:

I can't understand why no one has mentioned Kinetic F-16 kits?

:sarcasm_on:

Forgive my ignorance, but is there something wrong with the Kinetic F-16s? I only have one, the F-16i.