1 hour ago, xavi84 said:

I hope this isnt Pearl Harbor all over again. 

It’s 2018, you know it will be. Most people can’t find their own country on a world map, let alone understand history wasn’t about love. I can only imagine the innumerable ways they’ll make it a shitshow by updating it according to today’s standards of thought.🙄

Edited by evilmedic13

"Navy officials have emphasized that Emmerich and crew, a team that includes Mark Gordon, who assisted with the production of “Saving Private Ryan,” “are dead-set on making sure it’s a historically accurate [film],” the Star-Advertiser reported. "---from the linked article.

I guess I'm cynical but I don't have much faith in Hollywood being capable of just doing a "historically accurate" movie without interjecting something politically correct, SJW or whatever you want to call it. But hey, time will tell and even Hollywood can surprise us I suppose.

The original Midway movie was great :thumbsup:! All star cast, actual combat footage. I may need to watch it again tonight now...LOL.

Regards.

2 hours ago, adamitri said:

CGI on the way..... ugh.

Exactly.  I realize that some of it is a necessity to some extent, but recent history has proven that too many directors are addicted to chaotic action sequences.  Not that chaos isn't accurate, but when CGI dominates it takes away any authentic feel it might have otherwise had.  A six-year-old could tell the difference on some of this stuff. 

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

-Ryan

There is one important thing to remember about this. It's not a documentary. Those belong to Ken Burns and PBS. This is a movie for entertainment. If they can get it reasonably accurate and spark an interest from the average movie goer, who, as previously been stated, has no sense of history, then I'd say it's a job well done. Movies like Saving Private Ryan, Hacksaw Ridge, and Unbreakable show movies can achieve some positives.

If Hollywood is dead set on making an "accurate" film, that means that it will be 5% factual, 95% BS.

If Hollywood is dead set on making an "historically accurate war film", that means it will be 10% factual, 90% BS.

I'm torn on this one. while I'd LOVE to see a well done modern movie of an epic event such as the battle of Midway, I agree it could go really bad very easily. If it were someone like Eastwood, Hanks or Jackson directing it I would feel much more like I'd want to see it. But the guy who did Independence Day? Woody Harrelson? While I like Mandy Moore, I hope it's not a love interests back story with her. ( Yes the original did have a back story like that, and honestly isn't a GREAT movie by actual standards but rather a nostalgic movie in my mind as it made the kid I was happy to see action scenes.) BUT this one has assists from people involve with  'Private Ryan" so MAYBE it will be well done. Color me very skeptical. 

Bill

Edited by niart17

I didn't realize there was a television version of the Midway movie...

Television version

Shortly after its successful theatrical debut, additional material was assembled and shot in standard 4:3 ratio for a TV version of the film, which aired on NBC.[9] A major character was added: Susan Sullivan played Ann, the girlfriend of Captain Garth, adding depth to his reason for previously divorcing Ensign Garth's mother, and bringing further emotional impact to the fate of Captain Garth. The TV version also has Coral Sea battle scenes to help the plot build up to the decisive engagement at Midway. The TV version was 45 minutes longer than the theatrical film and aired over two nights. Jack Smight directed the additional scenes.

...I don't think I've ever seen it :dontknow:.

I'm not holding out much hope for this, and I think Roland Emmerich has only made one movie I liked, which was the original Stargate, so that doesn't bode well.

One thing I will say is that I don't think CGI is always bad.  I know it's not a great movie, but I thought these CGI moments worked well in the Pearl Harbor movie:

(just the Vals divebombing)

https://youtu.be/P-ZSem5F08M?t=242

(Battle of Britain)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIg_rCMe5Ik

I'll also add that I agree with some of the negative comments about the original - I didn't think the original movie was that great, and seemed to largely be re-hashed footage from the Navy and Tora! Tora! Tora! with a useless backstory added about Heston's character's son and his Japanese girlfriend.

Edited by Ken Cartwright
2 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I'll also add that I agree with some of the negative comments about the original - I didn't think the original movie was that great, and seemed to largely be re-hashed footage from the Navy and Tora! Tora! Tora! with a useless backstory added about Heston's character's son and his Japanese girlfriend.

What? You mean you didn't like how the footage of the F9F Panther ramp strike was used when the guy crashes back aboard the aircraft carrier? 😋

Hard to beat "The Battle of Britain" movie for good World War II aerial combat scenes. I can watch that movie over and over again. It helped to have the input from a few of the few...

Related image

...and a notable member of the other side...

Related image

And of course access to quite a few real machines despite being Spanish built versions...

Image result for battle of britain movie veterans 

Related image

Great stuff!

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Depends on what is meant by working well. It was viewable but still looked a lot like a video game. You want good BoB footage. Ya can't beat this.

I think the footage from Pearl Harbor looks like a video game because of the decisions on camera movements and tight aircraft shots.  I think the CGI itself looked pretty good, and if done with motions and framing that more closely resembled reality, it would look good.  In other words, it's not the CGI that screwed it up, it was the director :).

5 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

What? You mean you didn't like how the footage of the F9F Panther ramp strike was used when the guy crashes back aboard the aircraft carrier? 😋

4 hours ago, niart17 said:

yeah that F9F has been many different types of planes. The go to for carrier crash footage. I believe it was an F-14 in Hunt For Red October.

That scene was taken from "The Final Countdown Part 2: Holy S%!t, Not Again"...…..