AV-8B Harrier II GAU-12 gun pics and centerline pylon for the Targeting pod.

Greetings all,

I originally posted this in the Research Corner, had 278 views and zero replies of any help. Since it's almost been a month, I figured I'd try it here. If not appropriate admins can remove.

I'm looking for very detailed shots of the gun / ammo pods, the crossover fairing and, the center line pylon for the Targeting pod. I recently acquired a resin gun pod for my 1/18th scale Harrier (pre-built one, not the kit) and I'm in need of good reference photos. I'm going to have to scratch-build the pylon for the Targeting pod and address the crossover fairing as well, thanks for the help.

Steve

Greetings all,

A buddy of mine found these and printed them out for me. At the moment, it's all I've got to go by for the "crossover fairing" so, I figured I'd share. I'm only working on the Harrier when I have down time from the Big Cat. Hopefully Dave Roof will get back to me with something better plus, pics of the center line pylon for the targeting pod as well.

Steve

IMG_6083_zpsgjm4tlob.jpg

IMG_6084_zpsns4cyeud.jpg

7 hours ago, PlasticWeapons said:

Check out  Craig’s build here to get an idea of what mods you need to do for the centerline pylon:

http://kiwimodeller.com/~kmodel/index.php/forum/38-follow-as-i-build/24670-hasegawa-1-48-av-8b-harrier-ii-vma-231?start=60

Thanks PlasticWeapons, I believe this is one of the pics I have saved for reference. I'm still hoping for better one's but, this is better than nothing.

Steve

I picked up a resin gun/ammo pod for my1/18th scale,  pre-built AV-8B Harrier II. This is a resin version from the new 1/18th scale kit that recently came out. They look good but, could use a little work, especially the "crossover fairing" (not sure if that's the correct name for this piece ??), that goes between the two pods to make them better.

IMG_6039_zpsvvgdmzna.jpg

IMG_6038_zpspcag2ylc.jpg

As you can see, the panel is no where near being close to being correct, it's too flat and one dimensional.

IMG_6088_zpsiqekucoc.jpg

I started detailing the gun pod by adding a length of 1/4" evergreen tubing to the gun exhaust port.

IMG_6079_zpsuswuwlyt.jpg

Next, after multiple attempts I finally got the template made for the fairing using some HD card stock. When everything is locked in where it should be, it fits good and looks more the part.

IMG_6087_zpscwug9zkh.jpg

IMG_6086_zpsqueloznf.jpg

Now I just need to transfer this to some sheet plastic, add some details,  panel fastener details and, the air scoop. Until the next update.

Steve

Finished up the "crossover fairing" yesterday. Really happy with how it came out and I think it looks more the part. I transferred my card stock template to some .020" sheet plastic and cut it out. Then I folded the bends in the plastic using a metal ruler as a straight edge and bent it with my fingers.

IMG_6089_zpstunt5h9u.jpg

Next, I added the panels, their fasteners and, the gun fairing exhaust vent. The vent was made from a piece of 7/32"tubing, sanded at an angel until it looked right. I used some Tamiya panel line wash to check everything.

IMG_6091_zpswivdso6m.jpg

IMG_6093_zpscbeamtt1.jpg

IMG_6092_zpswelnrw9e.jpg

I needed a way to "lock in" the shape of the fairing so I could add the small panels the run on both sides of the fairing where it contacts the pods. I measured the length of the fairing on the jet and set my clamps, on a ruler, at that point. This held the fairing in the correct shape.

IMG_6094_zpsuutzhwwl.jpg

I opted to do one large piece of .010"sheet plastic, on each side of the fairing, instead of separate tiny strips. This will also help the fairing keep it's shape after the glue dries.

IMG_6095_zpsbcs6hwgm.jpg

Once the glue was dry it was just a matter of cutting the plastic to the proper width.

IMG_6096_zpsholeazeu.jpg

IMG_6097_zps7vreap7u.jpg

After all the trimming was complete it fit really good into the spot and looks so much better IMO. With my lack of good reference pics I'm not sure how accurate it really is but, it's an improvement and I'm happy with it.
Now I can get the gun/ammo pods and the fairing in some primer. Now if I could only find some better pics of the center line pylon for the targeting pod.

Steve

IMG_6098_zps9lph9ro6.jpg