F-14A Tomcat Expert needed (VF-11)

Hi,

As mention in the titel, in need some help......

I started with the beautiful :worship:Tamiya 1/48 F-14A and would like to use the CAM Decals to build a Jet from the VF-11 Red Rippers, USS Forrestal.

Cam Decals 48-051 info;

- F-14A, 

- Modex AE-106

- BuNo 150922

- VF-11 Red Rippers, CVW-6

- USS Forrestal 1991

Have started with some research about the particular F-14, BuNo 150922, but this number does not exist:doh:

So, in my opinion, there is somehow a minor mistake.

I have found a picture online from AE-104, BuNo 1612608, but not from AE-106

Does someone have any informations what maybe the correct BuNo is? 

All help and informations are very appreciated.

Furball has the CAG in the perennial wrong scale choice

Ronin decals and whatever come after them I think it both had the CAG in high visibility and low visibility aircraft in the right scale, maybe they also had them in 48th too either-way try to reach them through this https://roningraphicsaustralia.com/

In the doubt since Home of Mats says that 160922 was stricken on 1995 I would take that way and correct the bu/no hoping that picture hogs will not unleash their stuff on the web

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

Good morning seaknight,

I am hardly an expert but, here's what I found for you. 150922 was never a Tomcat BUNO however, 159022 was. This Cat only served with VF-32 and she wore the " AB " tailcode her whole life and was written off on 5 December 1979 off of Puerto Rico.

A couple of us were just having this conversation, on a Tomcat Facebook page the other day, about decal companies and their lack of/poor research. This is not the first time I've heard of bogus BUNO's on a sheet and, proves just how important research is to doing a build.

I guess you'll have to do another VF-11 jet, hopefully with a legitimate BUNO.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

160922 served with VF-11 from 24 March 1989 until July of 1990 and she wore the tailcode of AE-103. She was stricken on 24 February 1990.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
3 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

160922 served with VF-11 from 24 March 1989 until July of 1990 and she wore the tailcode of AE-103. She was stricken on 24 February 1990.

Steve

Mats is wrong then?It says 14 03 1995 and 160921 on 01 05 1990

3 hours ago, Seaknight said:

Dear Luigi and Steve,

Thanks alot for your great help.:worship:

So, I need to modify the BuNo and Modex or to choose another decal sheet....

Many moons ago when Andy was still updating his website I exchanged some email with him in regards of VX-4 Tomcats and a couple of others cause Superscale had bogus Bu.No, there is a small chance that he also listed your CAM decals sheet on his now defunct website but I don't remember if I gave him some material for Ronin's VF-11 decal set so if anything the currect Bu.No has a chance to be inside the archived version of his website, I no longer have said material but I can always try to search for it on Instagram, Flickr and so on, I don't know how much time it will take but one day maybe I will find it 😄

Luigi