Looking For Reference U.S.S. Arizona Boats

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me posting this here instead of the ship area but it's not as visual there. I'm working on the Revell U.S.S. Arizona kit and one of the things that REALLY bothers me about the model is the ship's boats seem to be really crude and likely not accurate shape-wise. I've google-fied on the subject as well as any other reference's for boats of that era and haven't found a whole lot. I know there are some very knowledgeable Arizona guys here so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Anything that would help, plans would be super awesome, but pics and even written info would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

Bill

Actually the kits boats aren't that far off, especially considering the scale. I agree they could be better though. I have mine painted (will update soon)  and they look o.k. The best book that I have found on the Arizona is by David Doyle, called USS Arizona: Squadron at Sea. There are scattered pictures of the boats throughout the book, but nothing specifically directed at the boats themselves. You kind of have to look through and take what you can get.

There isn't much online either but there are these from the Pennsylvania, lead ship in the class:

Related image

Related image

And 1:350 copies for the Arizona:

Related image

Link with some CAD for the above:

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/USS-Arizona-part-3-life-boats-Trumpeter.html

These:

Image result for uss pennsylvania lifeboats

From this build:

http://www.rollmodels.net/nworkbench/onlinebuild/arizona_4/arizona4.htm

I have just been really busy with work (school started again and I teach) and my kids started back at school and sports too so my actual modeling time is pressed. I hope to have an update soon...

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Regards,

Don.

Thanks Don, that does help. I've seem those ones from the Trumpeter kit but I don't think I'd seen them painted up and mounted on the racks. I guess the kits boats aren't horrible, I just think the shapes could have been less toy-like, especially around the back end and bottom. They just look too boxy. 

Looking forward to seeing your update. You're the one who got me interested in starting on mine.

Bill

9 minutes ago, niart17 said:

...You're the one who got me interested in starting on mine.

Bill

Sorry about that Bill...LOL!

Regards,

Don

Thanks Holmes, I'm thinkin on how I might go about fixing the boats on mine now. That video looks good, I'll have to watch it when I can listen to the whole thing. Thanks for posting. If you're interested my build is posted here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/305107-revell-uss-arizona/&tab=comments#comment-2926582

Not a great build but I'm having fun with it.

Bill