"Big Mother" - HH-3A pictures, references, etc.

Hi fellow rotorheads!

I'm planning my next project, which will be a HH-3A, the CSAR-variant of the Seaking, using the Fujimi SH-3H-kit in 1/72. Any intel, pictures and so on is very welcome!

I already do have a fair share of pictures, and decided to do the "Mother" in a three-tone camo:

Big%20Mutha%2070%20copy.jpg

(I do have the same picture in colored version somewhere).

HAJO

Years ago Cobrahistorian did a build that might have some help. IIRC he mentioned a museum that had one. I think Wolfpak Decal had one scheme. In the instructions Mark usually puts build notes. The search function should get you some threads for HH-3A to help narrow the info down.

HTH

16 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Thanks for the hints! I already located the old thread of Cobrahistorian, but he focussed on the Jolly Green Giant (or I got the wrong thread) and not so much on the HH-3A.

HAJO

That was my bad. He talked about the 3A but the build was all 3E. Since the sheet is OOP maybe an email to Mark at Wolfpak for just the instructions might work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I´m currently in the progress of painting my helo. I do have to say that I´m pretty short of just doing a "two-tone-camo", since I can´t really make out any contrast in the green parts of the camo that would justify a second (and different) tone of green.

Any thoughts?

HAJO

HAJO,

Your work is always impressive.  It seems this time you have chosen a subject with few reference pics!  I looked at the picture you linked, and when I zoom in I think I see two colors of green.  What do you think?

HH-3 crop.jpg

Thanks for the color codes! On most occasions I simply mix them myself, using pictures and good judgement to get something I like.

I added some darker green spots, but most of them are based on "creative painting", with only the spots highlighted by Cubs2Jets having a "real" reference. 

ZOnSnzw.jpg

The colors I used so far were Revell Afrikabraun 17 for the tan, and two differently mixed Bronzegrün 65 (both having a lightened base with yellow) for the greens. I love the very subtle and minor contrast, which is unfortunately hard to be seen since I painted some parts with clear gloss to prepare the helo for decals.

HmvzxOM.jpg

This afternoon I´ll search my stash for decals and then start applying them.

HAJO

It´s finished!

biaVFYI.jpg

The good thing about this bird is that - as pointed out - there aren´t much references, leaving room for own creativity. And that the markings are very sparse on this one.

As you can see, the "74" is a bit small, but I wasn´t able to find something bigger in my decal-box. But it looks good in ym eyes, anyway.

jR1hpIh.jpg

I will take a couple of pictures outside in a more "natural" environment as soon as weather permits.

HAJO

At the risk of stuffing my foot in my mouth, again, I'd like to toss this out there for anyone that would like to build an HH-3A from HC-9 the successor to HC-7 of Vietnam fame. The paint job during the late 1980s was very simple with an overall paint job of Marine Green 34952 with flat black markings with black subdued star and bar. There are pics on the HC-9 website of several aircraft but be warned, what looks like a multi-toned green camo paint job, especially mid fuselage under the engines, is actually leaking engine oil. The things leaked like sieves and according to my friend Frank that was assigned to the unit, they didn't start worrying until the leaks dried up. Anyway, website pics will show the patterns created by the rotor wash as well as the heavy exhaust staining.  The tail code was "NW" and instead of the name of a ship or station on the fuselage the helos of HAL-4, HAL-5 and HC-9 bore the legend 'HELWINGRES' as they were Naval Air Reserve assets assigned to C/SAR and Seal Team Support. 

As I said, I'm tossing this info out there should someone like to do the same thing, only different.  HC-9's website is here....

http://core-web-1.ucsd.edu/hc-9/index.html

As an aside and historical note, the last dedicated Navy C/SAR squadrons, HSC-84 (RIP) and HSC-85 can trace their lineage directly back to HC-7 and HA(L)-3 of Vietnam fame through their Veteran officers and enlisted men and the lessons learned during that timeframe are still taught today as far as I've been told by Shipmates still serving in that unit. 

Hey all,

Sorry I’m late to the game here!  Hajo, I did get your PM, but work has kept me extremely busy as of late.  I do have pics of the HH-3A at the National Helicopter Museum and will post some when I can get on my computer.  

As for my HH-3C, I’ve still got it.  Just haven’t done much on it for a while.  

J