RF-101C Anti Glare Green

I’ve got the KH kit enroute with plans for a Sun Run jet. There are some very nice color pics of these jets out there and I’ve been pouring over them for details. I noticed the anti glare panel is an unfamiliar color of green. Any idea what it is? It ain’t one of the ODs that’s certain.  There must be an FS (or whatever it’s called now) reference.

hi billS.

i haven't seen the kh rf-101, but if the anti glare looks green, well i can grant you that, sorry, but it must be one of the infinite shades of the elusive O.D. be it f.s. 34087 or 34088 or O.D. ANA613...

personally, for thet plane i would choose the f.s. 34088, but i should do some research about before telling it for sure.

hope this helps.

best ciaos, bobo.

From the photos I saw doing a Google search, on the Sun Run jets it almost looks like 34079, a very dark green.

Then again, in another photo it was lighter, closer to 34088. I guess it depends on which source you want to use.

Edited by Mstor
5 hours ago, Bobo1953 said:

sorry,  but 34079 is the "dark green" used in the s.e.a. camo; unless you're doing the 'nam version with this camo pattern, it wouldn't fit elsewhere.

ciao! bobo.

Yes, I know what 34079 is. I said it "looks like", didn't say it was 34079. I know how difficult it is to determine actual colors from photos. Here's what I was talking about. Here's three photos of Sun Run Voodoos, two of the same aircraft, but in each one the glare panel looks to be a different color.

BI220543BI220539BI220527

So, which one is accurate? 🤔

Edited by Mstor

I'd suggest FS34092. It was used as anti-glare on the F-104's amongst others, and matches the 2 top photos. The last one is probably closer to FS34079, however lighting can trick you and change the appearance of colors 

ok: as seen in the pics i perfectly agree with niels. it's the same green you had on the '104 nose.

but on the starfighter it was glossy, and the best match i was able to find is f.s. 14108.

sure the pics are very tricky: the difference of light makes changes like the one between the first two and the last photograph, where it looks matt, and definitely tending to O.D.

for my starfighter i was definitely satisfied with lifecolor UA 086, f.s. 14108.

happy modeling!

ciao. bobo.

1 hour ago, Bobo1953 said:

it's the same green you had on the '104 nose.

but on the starfighter it was glossy, and the best match i was able to find is f.s. 14108.

That's kinda weird, using a gloss color for an anti-glare panel. I would think it kinda defeats the purpose.

1 hour ago, Niels said:

I'd suggest FS34092. It was used as anti-glare on the F-104's amongst others, and matches the 2 top photos. The last one is probably closer to FS34079, however lighting can trick you and change the appearance of colors 

I would agree. 34092 looks spot on.

Thanks for the lively discussion and ideas guys. I was kind of thinking 34092 as well. I broke out my old FS chips to see what else looked sort of close. 34108 struck a note  but that’s a wag. Judgeing by the flesh colors in the photos I’d guess that the green  in the images is pretty true. One other possibility is a color peculiar to Mcdonell though I kind of doubt that. Who knows?

I’m going to do 166, #4. I love all those jets, factory fresh brutes! I’ve built the B and aside from the errors outlined in other threads, I think it was a nice kit with very few seams and gaps to worry with. I slaved the Black Box cockpit in and it was practically a drop fit. I’ll tackle the RF straightaway because I really want a big recce jet from that era.

You might give a look at both 34092, and 34102. Those are close to the colors that the USAF used on their F-4B antiglare panels during the "loaner" days.

(and yeah, 34079 and 34102 were SEA colors,,,,,but,,,,,,they had already long been in the FS pallet of colors before SEA was invented, so using them before that is not only perfectly valid,,,,but, also, they must have been used on something, or they wouldn't have been there already to invent the SEA scheme with)

Edited by Rex

Bert Kinzey of Detail & Scale, Inc. provided the following information:

30580980418_8644cb6cb5_o.jpg

In most painting schemes authors/researchers tell us to use the FS34102 instead of FS34258 for both the gear bays and anti glare panels. As for me, FS34102 looks very authentic and you’ll never be disappointed.

Another one, from an older publication (and this specification tells to paint it black):

43542372085_e976d4c3d6_o.jpg

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov