Hasegawa F-4S USMC Detailed build

On 2/8/2019 at 6:22 AM, Dutch said:

Kurt, Outstanding work there.  I am really learning a lot. I like the way you made the pylon mounting receptacles from aluminum tubing.  Makes for a sturdy mounting later, as you said.  Keep up the great work.  Semper fi! Dutch  

Thanks Dutch.

I am still moving along slowly with this build, between a few other builds, and studying for an Exam.

I got the mounting wires in the pylons and I had to assemble the inner pylons. This was a total PITA ... but they do look much better than the kit pylons

2v2EB22Pqx9awpY.jpg

After messing with the "wings" on the inner pylons, I finally figured out a way to glue them in place so they would be flush with the wing. I put a piece of black baremetal foil on the wing, so the glue would not leak through and stick to the wing

2v2EB22snx9awpY.jpg

I held the "wings" in place and used a glue looper to apply thin CA to attach the wings to the pylons. 

I also had a challenging time removing the pylons from the pour stubs, ans getting the contour correct. On oneof the outer pylons, i got it wrong ans as I sanded and scraped, it got worse.

I will try to take more pictures to illustrate. I assembled the centerline fuel tank tonight and I will need to work on positioning the tank and inserting the wires.  This is harder than I imagined. But I am learning and stretching my skills.

• 5 months later...

This one did not make it to Chattanooga... It kept getting pushed back.

After I got home from the Nats, I decided to push this one forward. I decided to test fit the intakes and the wing and ughhhh

20190814_105732sm-vi.jpg

Big step on the lower wing.

I got frustrated and ordered a set of intakes from a different company, which fit a little better but I realized I had to do more filing, sanding, etc

I ended up with this, I worked on the left intake, so the right side as you are looking at it. I know this is not a great picture that does not portray how it looks, but it is the best I can do one handed.

20190820_014216sm-vi.jpg

With enough clamping it just might work. before I glue the intakes to the fuselage I need to pre-paint the area behind the splitter, and see if I can find a reference to see how far the fuselage color extends into the intakes. 

Edited by Kurt H.

Does your kit include the PE belly strap? If not, Flying Leathernecks and Steel Beach make vinyl straps. Man, the steps created by those intakes look soul-crushing! Is it too late to use kit parts and just use intake plugs? I'm putting the finishing touches on a Hasegawa F-4J and the kit intakes fit pretty decently.

The kit has the PE belly strap, I also have the steel beach strap. It was soul crushing with the first test fit.  The kit intakes can still work but they too had a step, just smaller. I am just not sure if a phantom would ever be loaded with bombs and have the intake plugs installed. I even considered cutting the internal part of the resin intake and gluing it to the kit intake, but that will probably be harder than it looks.

2 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

The kit has the PE belly strap, I also have the steel beach strap. It was soul crushing with the first test fit.  The kit intakes can still work but they too had a step, just smaller. I am just not sure if a phantom would ever be loaded with bombs and have the intake plugs installed. I even considered cutting the internal part of the resin intake and gluing it to the kit intake, but that will probably be harder than it looks.

Are you doing a carrier-based squadron? I'd think the odds of it sitting loaded with intake plugs would be higher aboard ship, but I'm no expert.

Edit: Nevermind, you're doing a USMC F-4S...so no carrier deployments.

Edited by picknpluck
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This project lives!

2v2av6VnEx9awpY.jpg

Through a lot of fiddling I got the intakes to fit a little better. 

To address the step, I decided to try Apoxie Clay, after watching Paul Budzik demonstrate how to use it.

2v2av6VqHx9awpY.jpg

As I like to say, primer will reveal the truth.  

Thanks for looking, I really want to see this one to the end. 

Edited by Kurt H.