Rules of Engagement: The hard deck for today's hop is 10,000 feet

Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.

Wolfman: Holy shoot, it's Viper!

Goose: Viper's up here, great... oh shoot...

Maverick: Great, he's probably saying, "Holy shoot, it's Maverick and Goose."

Goose: Yeah, I'm sure he's saying that.

The rules for eligibility in this GB are easy:

*** Any aircraft flown at the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School, or United States Navy Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor program... Miramar or Fallon. This includes all adversary aircraft and student jets as well. Other aircraft contracted to the FWS/SFTI (example: ATAC Kfirs) are also eligible.

*** Aircraft flown operationally by graduates of FWS are also eligible. (Though if you go this route you'd need to provide some credible evidence of this.)

*** Lastly, movie aircraft are eligible... 'cause this is meant to be fun, right? (Of course this includes MiG-28s and cargo planes full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong)

10 hours ago, okthree said:

If a kit was started before the GB how far along in the build process may it be to still qualify to take part?

I think it would be safe to say that if the fuselage is still in two halves and no painting has been started, you aren't far enough along to disqualify the build from the GB.

Sounds reasonable?

Edited by Raceaddict
5 hours ago, Raceaddict said:

I think it would be safe to say that if the fuselage is still in two halves and no painting has been started, you aren't far enough along to disqualify the build from the GB.

Sounds reasonable?

Good call. With the lackluster participation in GBs of late, this is how you maximize inclusion.  And let's face it, we're building models, not disarming bombs. This is fun!  The Revell/Monogram GB has the same spirit and participation looks promising over there.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this GB unfold!

3 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Good call. With the lackluster participation in GBs of late, this is how you maximize inclusion.  And let's face it, we're building models, not disarming bombs. This is fun!  The Revell/Monogram GB has the same spirit and participation looks promising over there.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this GB unfold!

Your right, a little more "what the heck" and build it seems to help. In fact to keep up GB participation I am doing something new. Doing two models at once. One F-5F for the Revell GB and another one for Top Gun. Might do the same with a couple F-5Es., One for each.

On 9/5/2018 at 10:12 AM, Raceaddict said:

Sounds reasonable?

That does sound reasonable...

I may have a wee bit more finished on my AFV F-5 than that but not by much. I’ve worked on the aft fuselage but that’s about it. No paint yet.  I started the kit a few years ago then packed it up when I had to move. It’s been sitting on the shelf ever since. I’ve been meaning to get back to it and this GB seemed like the perfect reason. 

Edited by okthree
  • 1 month later...
On 9/13/2018 at 10:48 AM, Raceaddict said:

Rhino builders rejoice... you 're now eligible for this GB: https://theaviationist.com/?p=60456

I would like to build a Hornet for this group build but have not found decals in 1/72 for the Hornets. Didn't like the 1st Top Gun movie and will not watch this one. 

• 3 months later...