I'll be building Tamiya's wonderful 1/48 Tomcat as Top Gun #31.

tRVyjtS.jpg

I've got the kit along with Verlinden seats, and Steel Beach vinyl tail stiffeners, NACA vent and TCS pod. DEF Model wheels and the Aeromask set for this scheme are in the mail.

I just have to finish this one for the Revell/Monogram GB first.

r7V6HBQ.jpg

• 3 months later...

Yikes! It's been over three months since my last update! Anyway, I'm back on track with this build. I painted and assembled the intakes and dirtied them up with some oils. I also primed and started painting the rear fuselage. The modular design of the Tamiya Tomcat makes it easy to do the front and rear fuselage sections separately. This is convenient for my chosen paint scheme.

pmNUkOl.jpg

3dPXSzE.jpg

On 1/6/2019 at 7:39 PM, Ichitoe said:

Coming along nicely.

I see you done have the front half of the fuselage attached. Is the fit that good you won't have to worry about the seam needing attention?

Yes, the fit on these Tamiya Tomcats is THAT good! If you haven't built one yet, you're in for a treat when you do get around to building one.

Here's the cockpit. I used Steel Beach GRU-7 seats, which were nice and crisp. The new F-14 data sheet from Fightertown has nice instrument panel decals sized for Tamiya and I used them here.

IOHZkUB.jpg

TclDPN3.jpg

jwXDbMu.jpg

And if course the obligatory nose gear bay pic. Nothing special here beyond a sludge wash with oils and a Molotow pen for the chrome struts.

0wdliwH.jpg

Over the last couple of days, I've been fiddling with the landing gear and the gear doors (freakin' red door edges!). And now I'm at the weathering stage. I still need to do the exhaust nozzles too.

FUNfQK9.jpg

I posted this pic on Facebook and someone pointed out the stakes were supposed to be white,  not grey. 

om218Sm.jpg

...so I fixed it.

WxblAZR.jpg

...and here's where I've left off.

u1pQ4JS.jpg

I installed the wings in the swept back position and lightly traced the outline of the wing gloves onto the wing with a black artists pencil. Then i held the pencil at random points on the wing next to the wing gloves and swept the wings in and out to get the curved pattern. Then, i followed that curves pattern with oils and blended the oils with a q-tip.