Flat and Gloss Gull Gray - same color?

You could get away with using them interchangeably, but according to forum member Rex, the gloss and flats are not the same color, even though they have the same last 3 numbers. There's at least one other thread here about the Gull Grays, but here's Rex's blog with more detail: LINK. I'm sure he'll be by shortly with more info. 

Ben

I read in another post that I now can't find that Model Master, White Ensign, and Aeromaster Flat Gull Gray are all pretty good for the old version found on the old USN gray/white camo scheme. 

Over to you, Rex! 😁

Ben

As you can see, I used to use PhotoBucket, lol.

That is the Hangar Deck site that got "Photo-Bucketed" first,  Then right around the time that I took Dana's advice and decided to re-take all of the photos anyway, to get rid of an "off color" appearance in the background pictures of the photo cards, my Invision forum got bought out by Tapatalk. That resulted in a glitch that won't let me access the site, except as a "Read-only Guest." (yeah, that is right, the owner can't log into his own site, as member, mod, or admin)

So, I am rebuilding it all as a new forum using another board host.

All of my photos and talk about the two different colors before the two got combined only applies to Real Life aircraft. As modelers, we have to compromise all the time on colors anyway. So, for the NS Light Gull Gray 36440, G Light Gull Gray 16440, and the 1972 and up G Light Gray 16440, we might as well use our favorite color, and then change the sheen for the model we are building.

In real life, they were different, with "Light Gull Gray" having at least 6 different designations and color variations over the years. (Mark I eyeball, Munsell numbers, and CIE-Lab values all changed for each color designation) This also happened to many other colors, including "X6081", in Munsell those three colors didn't even appear on the same pages in the Munsell book. "Black x7038" also had three different colors, on different pages.

But, most modelers are using post 1984 versions of the FS booklets, fan decks, or cards,,,,,,,,so they don't even see that the colors were supposed to be different in the Light Gull Gray era of Navair. So, pick one you like,,,,,,almost no one will ever "catch you at it", because they have no way to tell, either. And I for one, don't go around saying "that is the wrong color" on built models. I just like the evolution of colors aspect of researching aircraft.

Color matching for me is more that I don't like buying a color that is supposed to be "x6440" and having it be 36376 or 36424 or some other non-Light Gull Gray color of Gray.

here is where the site will be, it is empty now, just started the process the other day http://hangar-deck-resource.boards.net/

Edited by Rex

oops, here is the short answer

In real life, up until 1984, they were different. Including vintage paint chips and booklets.

In models, paints, online color guide sites, Wiki, and forum discussions, they were "the same color, just change the sheen"