1:48 AH-1; where to start?

I have little experience with helicopter kits. Last one I built being Monogram UH-1 in early 90s. 

Whats the best fitting AH-1 kit to build? Accuracy and detail points count, but basically looking for general information. I’d like to have one on my shelf of a 2 blades version (S? W?). I am lost so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

As I recall it not a lot of options, so after selecting the AH-1 type you want there is only one dance partner to find.

G - Fujimi

J - Fujimi

F/S - Monogram (Revell), Fujimi

T - Italeri

W - Italeri 

I would say the Revell kit is probably the best option. I would throw in some Werner Wing resin bits.

Edited by Tank
1 hour ago, Tank said:

As I recall it not a lot of options, so after selecting the AH-1 type you want there is only one dance partner to find.

G - Fujimi

J - Fujimi

F/S - Revell, Fujimi

T - Italeri

W - Italeri 

I would say the Revell kit is probably the best option. I would throw in some Werner Wing resin bits.

Fujimi G Model???  Getoutta here!!  

EDIT: Putting on my "Way Back Hat", I recall Fujimi did re-release the OLD Aurora kit or copied it!!  Resemble a G in NAME only.

Bo

Edited by jabow

Cobra Company made the correction set for the Fujimi AH-1J to make it a G model. Worth it in my book. Lone Star Models might have it since he bought Cobra Company's molds. Not listed as available on his website though if you email him he will make it. Speaking of Aurora, DO NOT get the Hobby World AH-1G in 1/48 or Fujimi's release of it. As mentioned above it's a very poor kit, bad fit, wrong in so many ways.

150031-12155-pristine.jpg

Only messed with a few of them. They are not in resin or limited run category but also not in a Tamiya class either. For whatever reason Italeri kits seem to have fit issues with the glass but that might just me and the pressing I get. Outside of that they are on the same as Revell kits. If you have a good boxing and a little sanding goes a long way for a good fit.

My $0.02

Edited by Tank

Nobody mentioned the Monogram AH-1? Several times reboxed by Revell. I built it (the Red Bull Cobra) and have to say its good! Of course no shake and bake, but a modeller can make it! You should not be afraid of raised rivets and panel lines, but hey, look at a real helo: it is raised in 1:1, too!

30 minutes ago, tobiK said:

Nobody mentioned the Monogram AH-1? Several times reboxed by Revell. I built it (the Red Bull Cobra) and have to say its good! Of course no shake and bake, but a modeller can make it! You should not be afraid of raised rivets and panel lines, but hey, look at a real helo: it is raised in 1:1, too!

I did but I put it as the Revell kit as most people could find it as. I have updated my list to include Monogram.

Edited by Tank

I don't know why but I am completely unable to type in my entire response to this post. I keep getting internal errors and this post is expired or deleted every time I hit post or save. I typed this entire post this morning and am just able now to save it.

There is a G in 1/48 by Fujimi, originally from Aurora, as Jabow stated. However it is loosely based on the prototype and worth nothing but maybe nostalgic value.

- Fujimi makes a J and you can find an update set for by Cobra Company originally and now released by Lone Star Models: AH-1J Sea Cobra. You can find the conversion set to a AH-1G by Lone Star Models, originally from Cobra Company, however it is not listed on his website. Maybe if you email him he can pop one out.

- Revellogram makes the AH-1S, now AH-1F "Fully Modernized", and everything you could possibly want to add to it is made by our very own Floyd Werner at Werner's Wings.

- Italeri makes the AH-1T and again you can find the update set for it at Lone Star Models: AH-1T Sea Cobra.

- Italeri produced, and Revell licensed it, the AH-1W Super Cobra. There are a lot of options for this one. Lone Star Models: AH-1W makes the update set to make it an NTS aircraft as the original molding is a pre-NTS (ex. Desert Storm) Cobra. Olimp Resin also made a "OEF/ OIF" update set however it is OOP and hard to find (I can't even get my hands on it and I just want the nose.)  

Werner's Wings makes a lot of stuff for the Super Cobra as well. One thing to remember about this kit is you have to flip the main rotor blades as they were molded upside down.

Flying Leatherneck Decals makes masks for this kit now too. 

There's a lot of info out there on these kits and a lot of experts here on them. Good Luck!

Edited by Whiskey
On 9/5/2018 at 5:52 PM, tobiK said:

You should not be afraid of raised rivets and panel lines, but hey, look at a real helo: it is raised in 1:1, too!

You should only be afraid of raised rivets if you are Kitty Hawk and no, according to KH, no helo's have these.  

Otherwise, the Monogram snake is a great kit.  At one point, Werner's Wings released a resin fuselage of with engraved panel lines.   It's a really nice set, I've got one in the stash waiting to build.   They also have a bunch of other bits for the AH-1S as well.  No idea if they are currently in stock but worth heading over to the website and checking out. 

On 9/5/2018 at 7:07 PM, Whiskey said:

I don't know why but I am completely unable to type in my entire response to this post. I keep getting internal errors and this post is expired or deleted every time I hit post or save. I typed this entire post this morning and am just able now to save it.

I've heard that some guys with long posts will compose it on a word processor, then copy and paste it into your post. Maybe that will help.