Giant F-14 Tomcat Built from Scratch

The F-14 Tomcat and the F-15 dominated the skies for an extended period of time. There are a lot of Aircraft to build, but there is something very special about fabricating a Custom Aircraft Model made from your bare hands.   Scratch built Airplane Models are a fading skillset that we should continue to preserve.  This particular model was built by a Model company called   modelworks

One of the challenging components of Fabricating models is maintaining the proportions, slope and contours.  It take a trained eye to build a model the right way.  Has anybody build a large Fighter Jet or Private Let lately? 

MWD02.jpg

2 hours ago, modelworks said:

One of the challenging components of Fabricating models is maintaining the proportions, slope and contours.  It take a trained eye to build a model the right way.  

Well said. Now trash that thing and build it the right way. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

So what scale did you build it to?

Did you document the build? That would be interesting to see.

Going by their website, they appear to be a company that builds custom models of aircraft and other subjects. You tell them what you want and they build it for you. I didn't get the impression that they make kits that you then build. This looks like an advertisement as the forum name is the same as the company name.

That F-14 does look a bit weird, to say the least.

My buddy and I build models for this company. We will get more photos posted.   Thanks for everyones feedback and honest critique.  The only way to get better is to "understand what your doing wrong": than making corrections. I will update with more photos at different angles.  We are Using this site to get feedback from the experts. Its one thing to know Aircraft and Fighters.  Its another to be an F14 fanatic.  For those that did not realize, there is actually an F14 Association.   My favorite comment is from Darren  "I love the sheer size of it, but since the Tomcat is my thing, the contours around the wing sweep and wing bladders is kind of off"

Here are some fabrication VIDEOS

of some of the models being fabricated.

Regards,

Jerry.

To be honest, you would get the same sort of reaction from almost any aircraft. That is because there are 30-50 of each group labeled "Tomcat guys", "Phantom Phans", "Scooter fans", etc, etc. All the way down to "He-162 fans" (oh, and a lot of us overlap into different groups of modelers and subjects, and sites, and years of interest )

If you scroll around here a bit, you will notice that if a kit or a built model impresses,,,,,,it gets mentioned also.

33 minutes ago, modelworks said:

The only way to get better is to "understand what your doing wrong": than making corrections.

That is a very good attitude. Do you have f-14 documentation in the form of some of the many books that are available on the subject. Many of them have detailed drawings that show the relative sizes and shapes. You might also consider buying some existing scale models and studying the shapes and contours of the airframe. These would show you where you are currently having problems. The same strategy would apply to virtually any military aircraft that is currently the subject of a scale model kit.

Once you have a basic knowledge of the shapes and contours of an aircraft you will be able to ask specific questions here and on other forums in regards to details specific to the various versions of the aircraft. Then it just a matter of translating your knowledge into a custom built model.

Do you make plans using some sort of software that can display pictures? If so, you could present them for feedback. There are all sorts of possibilities. It all starts with a question.

Here is about a 5ft model built by Factory Direct Models. Looks like they used a combination of all the different F-14's used in the movie - cool idea. It even has working interior screens and navigation lights!  I saw this online and personally in the FBO at KIWA. Nice model!! - (credit trademarked photos to factory direct models, not mine) -

TB

Optimized-Optimized-Optimized-Grumman F-14 Tomcat from the Movie Top Gun FD10-1924 (5).jpg

Optimized-Optimized-Optimized-Grumman F-14 Tomcat from the Movie Top Gun FD10-1924 (3) (3) (1).jpg

Optimized-Optimized-Optimized-Grumman F-14 Tomcat from the Movie Top Gun FD10-1924 (2) (1).jpg