Tamiya New Tool 1/48 Spitfire I?

Fantastic news!  I built the current one this year and it could use some updating.  I built it alongside the new tool Airfix kit and found the Tamiya to be a much simpler, although less detailed, build.  The Airfix kit was plagued with flash and ill-fitting parts.  Kudos to Tamiya for revisiting the Spitfire (and getting the jump on Eduard, lol!).   

Steve

08GbSix.jpg

Great news!

Eduard said in their June 2018 Info Eduard that they'll do the Mk I, II and V next year, after the Mustang.

The bit about the early Spitfires is near the bottom of the left column on page 5.

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2018/info-eduard-2018-06en.pdf

I look forward to what both brands can do with the early Spitfires.

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse
2 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I couldn't think of a more boring subject (except for maybe yet another Bf-109) but to each his own. 

Out of idle curiosity, what was wrong with the previous kit?  From all I read, it was pretty nice. 

The nose profile is slightly flatfish and apprently the wing shape isn’t spot on either.   Compared to the Airfix kit, it’s not as detailed, but is moulded to a much higher standard.  

I am not a fan of it's competitor, but do like Eduardo. Was somewhat dissappointed with the Hien engine. Pure make believe in my eyes. I hope they get the Merlin right. I have always wanted a good Mk. II and a Mk. I. Been nice to include both props , but might be asking for too much. 

I'll not get too excited till the folks on the other side of the pond finish picking it apart! If it's good, I'm good for three or four kits. Maybe FSM will republish the artical from their very first issue!!!

Gary

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gtypecanare said:

This is from the Facebook page of Tamiya Model Magazine.

44939510_10212932894705442_7674667827042

I like this. I have always found the Spit and the -109's weakness was the landing gear. This will be an easy way to ensure it has a nice strong connection as well as ensuring the gear sits at the proper angle.

Sean

1 hour ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

I like this. I have always found the Spit and the -109's weakness was the landing gear. This will be an easy way to ensure it has a nice strong connection as well as ensuring the gear sits at the proper angle.

Stuff like this is why I keep coming back to them.

Those japs sure know how to make `em. I had no idea about this kit until today. So with this new release, will Tamiya still manufacture the 1993 tooling? Here i am thinking things couldn`t possibly get any sweeter. How wrong i was. Imagine 20 years from now, some cheapskate modeller will pick up this kit for $5 on ebay with free shipping, lol.

Edited by breadneck

This might be a boring subject for some members. But Tamiya brings unique and innovating engineering to the kit and renders impeccable surface details. All this make these boring subjects exciting. 

On 10/29/2018 at 5:45 PM, martin_sam_2000 said:

Sean

Show the Merlin engine plastic! The Hein engine looked Lindberg to me.