Tamiya New Tool 1/48 Spitfire I?

Tamiya has a photo etch included in a Spitfire 1/48 kit. When was the last time they did that? 

Compared to their Bf-109 kit, it seems like a step backward. But they have cockpit inserts for open or closed cockpit.

17 hours ago, ytsejam87 said:

Is this a (small) step backwards for tamiya in 1/48?  their gustav set a high bar by giving the modeler many more display options (with the cowls, engine and machine guns) than this does. Sure, it will build itself in the box, but it doesn't cry out to me like the gustav does.  

Interestingly I have the exact opposite reaction. The Open engine and price of the Tamiya 109G put me off. 

The new spitfire does seem to be a more quick build with superb detail.  price-wise, after looking at msrp's I would expect it would eventually retail in the low 30's, quite a bit lower than the lowest I have seen the gustav sold at.    

18 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Let me rephrase, Are we starting to see the end of Tamiya as far as aircraft goes, in 1/32 scale?

No one has any idea.    Anyone who claims to have insight into T’s marketing plan is simply a liar.   

23 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Let me rephrase, Are we starting to see the end of Tamiya as far as aircraft goes, in 1/32 scale?

When Tamiya was pumping out 1:32 scale aircraft kits, us 1:48 fans waited a long time for new aircraft. 1:32 will have its turn again, one day or another. 

On 12/8/2018 at 11:45 PM, a4s4eva said:

Interestingly I have the exact opposite reaction. The Open engine and price of the Tamiya 109G put me off. 

Same here. I definitely prefer the approach used for the Spitfire over the one for the Gustav.

On 12/10/2018 at 1:55 AM, Ollie T-Y said:

I think it would have been nice to have the choice for an open engine bay. This still looks like a great model though, I'll definitely be picking one up in the new year.

Eduard will come to the rescue.

I think I am going to build my first one out of the box. It would be nice to finish something quickly. If I start getting Eduard and more stuff to add to it, I think it just makes the build longer and more work. Maybe on the second one?

1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

I think I am going to build my first one out of the box. It would be nice to finish something quickly. If I start getting Eduard and more stuff to add to it, I think it just makes the build longer and more work. Maybe on the second one?

There you go, first one built for the group build!