A-1J Skyraider, Tamyia 1/48th scale

Time to start another build 😄

Another Tammy box, this time it´s the Skyraider...I´m on a Tamyia streak it seams:P

The boxart looks gorgeous as always 😄

IMG_4132_zpswkvu8e3v.jpg

And it contained a whole lot of sprues...with mostly weapons and under wing stores 😛

IMG_4133_zpsy3el5osr.jpg

IMG_4134_zpswuxxqr6l.jpg

IMG_4135_zps07oqbrty.jpg

Time to clean up parts and impale them on toothpics 😛

IMG_4136_zps7xighhcy.jpg

Might as well throw some primer on them...

IMG_4137_zpsppvsdtpd.jpg

Cheers!

Here is more!

I painted the wheels and struts in gloss white and started painting the cockpit as well.

IMG_4138_zps7fd2o0xw.jpg

The seat looks rudimentary, perhaps some belts for it...I won´t use the in box decals for belts this time...I´ll go straight for the foil instead I think.

IMG_4139_zps5tyrlzfa.jpg

The pit and IP are ready for some weathering.

IMG_4140_zps8joprkh4.jpg

I clear coated everything before I started playing with washes.

IMG_4141_zpsarwyt5ya.jpg

After the wash some drybrushing...

IMG_4142_zpsj2ntickc.jpg

IMG_4143_zpswvcs3yit.jpg

IMG_4144_zpsq0wlzyxs.jpg

I got lazy and went with the IP decal in the box...

IMG_4145_zps5oiluwi2.jpg

The cockpit is taking shape...

IMG_4146_zpswf9olreo.jpg

There this build is merrily on its way 😄

Cheers!

Moving along....

Glued the seat to the bulkhead...and fit it to the pit.

IMG_4146_zpswf9olreo.jpg

Made belts out of tape...

IMG_4147_zps9jericuz.jpg

Glued it into the pit and detailpainted...a bit of thin wash on top.
IMG_4148_zpsxoizuxsq.jpg

IMG_4149_zps46gaes8i.jpg

And the IP in place...I cut of the optics from the sights I´ll replace that with acetate later.

IMG_4150_zpsaplyy2ew.jpg

IMG_4151_zps1gkrax37.jpg

And in with it all into a fuselage half....feels odd not to add weight 😛

IMG_4152_zps8jc2bycv.jpg

Closed the fuselage...

IMG_4154_zpst3plgxal.jpg

I needed a wee bit of filling here and there

IMG_4155_zps5gt9s96s.jpg

IMG_4156_zpsd7nf83pg.jpg

IMG_4157_zpshrypt5vv.jpg

I wanted the airbrakes closed b ut I had already glued the insides of the brakes so I had to carfully split them apart with a knife
and it led to bloodletting 😛

IMG_4160_zpsh7waugqr.jpg

Got them closed tho..

IMG_4161_zpsdwlamtcw.jpg

On with the wings and the belly air brake glued shut as well.

IMG_4162_zpspfjcdufr.jpg

And this is where I´m at....going to start with the engine next.

IMG_4163_zpsovkhegq8.jpg

Cheers!

Oh, nice! A Skyraider!!

Great progress so far! I'm also building one, but is a Monogram one with recycled parts from a Tamiya that went to the trash years ago.

Really looking for your next update.

Regards,

Tato

6 hours ago, Tato said:

Oh, nice! A Skyraider!!

Great progress so far! I'm also building one, but is a Monogram one with recycled parts from a Tamiya that went to the trash years ago.

Really looking for your next update.

Regards,

Tato

Thanx Tato 😄

Getting somewhere 😄

Painted the exhausts in Alclad stainless steel and rubbe dthem with rust pigment.

IMG_4164_zps8urnrx2p.jpg

Pinted the engine in Alcad stainless steel and white aluminium and put down a wash. Not going to detail the engine further...I think.

IMG_4165_zpsfdwwk9wm.jpg

The wheels are detail painted and washed, added a break cable to the main gears.

IMG_4166_zpsobvpnl1u.jpg

IMG_4168_zps6c8j2adr.jpg

Masked the cowling with foam plastic.

IMG_4169_zps50l0gqlt.jpg

And primed the fuselage and cowling with Alclad grey primer (the very last of the bottle...need more 😛 )

IMG_4170_zpsvwit3qm2.jpg

Cheers!

OK
I took a little breather for a few days had other stuff going like the bad athritis I have in my knees and hip that acts up from time to time 😞

Oh well, such is life on to the fun stuff.

I did my preshading or grey basing as Joel likes to call it 😄

First around the panels..

IMG_4171_zpsqdkqc7si.jpg

Then my squiggles...

IMG_4173_zpscpmtqahx.jpg

Now I took it a step further and did some squiggling in white as well...

IMG_4174_zpsavpvrmpx.jpg

And then I went bonkers with hull red on some panels.

IMG_4175_zpsldxhcdmf.jpg

Next it was time for the prop...I painted the tips in pink.

IMG_4176_zpsuab6os2o.jpg

With pink as a base for the chrome yellow you get a rich tone in the yellow...cpompare the yellow at the tip where it was painted on pink and further down where it was painted on white.

IMG_4177_zpswbbre8dm.jpg

Cheers!

Dumb question on my part, but how did you know that the pink would give you a richer tone?  Serendipity?   Are you an art major?  Did you remember a past experience with your box of 64 Crayolas?  Inquiring mind's need to know.

Also, you are going to paint this up in the SEA scheme or go with the Navy gull grey?  I'm experimenting with the "black basing", but when I'm done, my models look closer to your "gray basing."  I don't know if it really matters.  

By the way, beautiful builds.  I got here because of your gray Corsair A7.  It was stunning and you were robbed.  Just supply a photo next time and tell them to kiss your butt.

3 hours ago, ma2-u said:

Dumb question on my part, but how did you know that the pink would give you a richer tone?  Serendipity?   Are you an art major?  Did you remember a past experience with your box of 64 Crayolas?  Inquiring mind's need to know.

Also, you are going to paint this up in the SEA scheme or go with the Navy gull grey?  I'm experimenting with the "black basing", but when I'm done, my models look closer to your "gray basing."  I don't know if it really matters.  

By the way, beautiful builds.  I got here because of your gray Corsair A7.  It was stunning and you were robbed.  Just supply a photo next time and tell them to kiss your butt.

LOL there are no dumb questions 🙂

well, to begin with it wasn't my idea...I got it from a mate here in Gothenburg and where he got it from I don't know...it may be ancient lost knowledge 😛

I avoid black all together in persuading...I think dark grey gives better and subtler effects. I tried blackbasing and I felt like I was painting forever before anything showed. I'm used to very dilluted paints 😄

Lol I got a Honorary Mention for it when I sent it to a show in Stockholm....unfortunately the courier have to avoid a deer and and that rendered my wolfpack Tomcat, Fulcrum and A-7...umm inoperable for a while 😜

I have begun painting. I started with the tan and put a soft post shade on top and I think I´m happy with that 😄

I have syarted on the dark green as well but my AB started acting up so the dark green didn´t make it to the update.

IMG_4178_zpshmf6kqfa.jpg

Cheers!

Only judging from the photos the brightness looks just right for a sun bleached aircraft, or at least as I imagine it looking after being somewhat bleached. However, you will need to give the decals a work over as well, or they might look too contrasted. So, how much junk will you put under the wings this time? 🙂

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Nice!!!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanx Gåvor 😄

1 hour ago, erik_g said:

Only judging from the photos the brightness looks just right for a sun bleached aircraft, or at least as I imagine it looking after being somewhat bleached. However, you will need to give the decals a work over as well, or they might look too contrasted. So, how much junk will you put under the wings this time? 🙂

I thought I'd give sanding the decals a go to fade them a bit...we shall see, at least I'm giving the decals a thought.

There are all kinds of bombs and rocket pods in the box 😄

All of todays session went into painting paint borders 😛

I started on the FS36622 grey for the belly and freehand painting that squiggly border between the top scheme and the belly color was taxing...

I had to make several adjustments with base colors to eliminate overspray and too soft edges. The paint was very very thinned and too much preassure sent streaks of paint all over the the place...but I´m happy with the result, I think there is that organic live feel to it 😄

IMG_4184_zpsnwbhthf0.jpg

IMG_4185_zps25pi7o8j.jpg

IMG_4187_zpsvh5xtph0.jpg

IMG_4188_zpsgqpu1pay.jpg

As I mentioned I only got the borders done...I will have to mask them and then shoot the rest to avoid ruining things with overspray.

IMG_4189_zpsi1ek2pnj.jpg

Cheers!