GWH S4804 F-15C MSIP II Paint Colors

On 9/7/2018 at 7:51 PM, Falconxlvi said:

The best source for Mr Color is EBay- tons of Asian retailers selling for normal, if not better than, US Hobby Shop prices.   You can get free shipping on a lot of them, it just might take a little longer.   I personally use the EBay seller “ladypapa” (seriously).  Free shipping for Mr Color paints at $3.49 a bottle.  I’ve used this EBay store many times with success.  Paint comes in about two-three weeks.  

I will also say that Mission Models spray beautifully and I am slowly replacing my Mr Color with it as more colors as they become available.  I’m not sure Mission Models makes a Mod Eagle Gray yet.  

Steve

What do you thin Mr. Color paint with? I'm working on an F-15 as well, and am looking for an alternate to Model Master. 

Aaron 

12 minutes ago, Vaildog said:

Mr levelling thinner is money!

Yes indeed!  Its the only thinner I use for Mr Color (and Tamiya and AKAN lacquers). Mr Color and Mr Leveling Thinner are magic. Smooth, flawless finish.

11 minutes ago, strikeeagle801 said:

Is Mr Color a lacquer then? 

Aaron 

My understanding is that it is an solvent based acrylic lacquer, but, yes, a lacquer. I understand that Tamiya paints, in the jars, are an alcohol based acrylic lacquer that will also thin with their own lacquer thinner as well as Mr Color Leveling thinner. In my opinion, you haven't seen Tamiya's full airbrushing potential until you try it with Leveling thinner.

Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge could give more detail if you want it. My concern has always been one - with how well a paint airbrushes, two - how well it hand brushes.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:30 PM, Curt B said:

Well, I will tell you what, based on the photos of those KA exhausts, if that is the future of scale modeling, I'm sad that I'm 59 years old, and may not be around in 25-30 years to see where it goes.  I have been, frankly, stupified since getting back into this hobby in the late 2000s, with the amazing photoetch, and now this resin molding/3D printing capability.  The only aspect that frightens me, from a builder's perspective, is how delicate these PE, resin and even styrene molded parts are, being, in some cases, already beyond the ability of a modeler to separate and handle without damaging/destroying said parts.  My dad, who is almost 89, suffers from Macular Degeneration, and my fear is that the size of models, and those tiny parts, may soon no longer be possible for me to see/manipulate, should something like what my dad has, befall me.  But the delicacy, and accuracy, of these scale model parts, is beyond belief, especially when I think back to the models I had as a kid.

Since both of you used the Quickboost seat, I'll go that route.  WIth the molded on belts, that's even better, as the less PE I've got to mess with, the better, even though I love how amazing PE can look, in terms of adding detail.  

P.S. Nice to hear from you Midwest guys (WI, MN).  I'm a Chicago guy myself, but have been in Las Vegas for 18+ years now...which practically makes me a native out here!

Macular Degeneration, once detected is treatable. The earlier the better. It can be stopped, but not reversed. My mom had it. So go for regular eye exams since your father has it.

1 minute ago, Scooby said:

Macular Degeneration, once detected is treatable. The earlier the better. It can be stopped, but not reversed. My mom had it. So go for regular eye exams since your father has it.

Trust me, I DO!!!!

22 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

What do you thin Mr. Color paint with? I'm working on an F-15 as well, and am looking for an alternate to Model Master. 

Aaron 

50/50 ratio of Mr Levelling Thinner.

Tamiya lacquer thinner I hear works well too, although I have never used it.

Mod F-15 colors are in the new Tamiya Lacquer Line too, at least I think they are. But I don’t think you guys have them in the US yet. We have them in Canada.

56 minutes ago, Jack132698 said:

Hi ,I agree whith you but I think that Akan colors is good, too.I bought it next week and shipped me three days from USA. https://www.ebay.com/sh/lst/active

I think you posted a link to your "My eBay" active listings page. The link just takes me to MY active listings, of which there are none.

I just got my Mr. Color paints and the Leveling Thinner from SprueBrothers.  I got the 306 and 307 Grays colors, and the 337 Grayish Blue, along with White to mix, (I have C308 coming from eBay for the weapons and wing storage racks) and I have to say that in the bottles, at least, the colors are very subtlely different, looking like the subtle differences in colors on the real planes (at least in photos).  Dan, dsahling, from our group here was nice enough to offer to send me the FS colors referenced earlier in this thread from the Model Master line, and I'm anxious to compare those to to the Mr. Color paints.

Curt, You have got to try the Mr. Paint line. They spray like ink and are amazing to work with.

I too am 59, built models as a kid and came back to the hobby in my 30's. For me the hobby is more about historical artwork and very relaxing. Retirement is coming within the next few years and I'll model as long as I can.

I have the Eagle line from GWH and have pre-ordered the new F-15E coming out. The F-15 is my personal favorite to model and I do remember building the old Monogram F-15A kit in 1/72 when I was a 9th grader back in the 70's. The hobby has come a long way since those years. It is paradise now in regards to subject matter and details available.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Curt, You have got to try the Mr. Paint line. They spray like ink and are amazing to work with...

Matt,  Many thanks for your thoughts on Mr. Paint.  I've been intrigued by the larger volume of their paint bottles, and the apparent fluidity of the paint in the bottles.  Would you know which of the MRP colors would be appropriate for the main colors (the gray underside and periphery of the top, and the darker gray or bluish gray of the center color) for the MOD Eagle scheme?  From my review of their paint line, there are so many grays that I couldn't begin to guess at which ones would be correct.

45 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Matt,  Many thanks for your thoughts on Mr. Paint.  I've been intrigued by the larger volume of their paint bottles, and the apparent fluidity of the paint in the bottles.  Would you know which of the MRP colors would be appropriate for the main colors (the gray underside and periphery of the top, and the darker gray or bluish gray of the center color) for the MOD Eagle scheme?  From my review of their paint line, there are so many grays that I couldn't begin to guess at which ones would be correct.

Got this. MRP 93 and 94 on this page and in stock at Hobbyworld (only US distributor)

http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_category=1524&controller=category

3 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Got this. MRP 93 and 94 on this page and in stock at Hobbyworld (only US distributor)

http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_category=1524&controller=category

Great, thank you, sir...but now, what can be used to thin and clean your airbrush when using MRP, since both the thinner and cleaner are on backorder?  Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Great, thank you, sir...but now, what can be used to thin and clean your airbrush when using MRP, since both the thinner and cleaner are on backorder?  Thoughts?

MRP need no thinning. Pour and spray. Clean up with cheap hardware store lacquer thinner.

If for some reason you really wanted to thin MRP paints, Mr Color Leveling thinner would work fine.

Edited by Mstor
3 hours ago, Mstor said:

MRP need no thinning. Pour and spray. Clean up with cheap hardware store lacquer thinner.

If for some reason you really wanted to thin MRP paints, Mr Color Leveling thinner would work fine.

Wow....well, with those details being addressed, I've just ordered the numbers 93 and 94, plus a few bottles of 189, Traffic Grey, for my AMK MiG-31.  I figure I can use any/all of the various colors as weathering, even if I decide to use one or the other colors as the main paints for my F-15C.  I'll now have Mr. Color, Model Master and now MRP as options for the F-15! 

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

Wow....well, with those details being addressed, I've just ordered the numbers 93 and 94, plus a few bottles of 189, Traffic Grey, for my AMK MiG-31.  I figure I can use any/all of the various colors as weathering, even if I decide to use one or the other colors as the main paints for my F-15C.  I'll now have Mr. Color, Model Master and now MRP as options for the F-15! 

My, you are well set. Definitely give MRP a try. I think you'll like it. Shake it well as the pigments tend to settle out and needs a good long shaking to get mixed. Also make sure your surface is smooth and without scratches. The paint is so thin that surface blemishes will show through. The just pour some in your airbrush and lay it down. It dries almost instantly (unless you lay it down wet) so you can lay down multiple coat rapidly. The result is a beautiful semigloss coating that is very thin and as smooth as the surface it is sprayed on. I love it.

• 2 months later...