F-15SA unique features

• 6 months later...
On 9/13/2018 at 1:30 AM, Alpagueur said:

which pylons/adapters for the outboard LAU-128 (aim-120 amraam) launchers?

Reviving an old thready here, They look similar to the LAU-115 used on Navy Hornets. These would be attached to the unique outboard F-15 pylon, and there are probably some differences to the Navy LAU-115. Any differences will be pretty well hidden between the LAU-128s and missiles though.

I really like the look of the test aircraft with all of the Orange markings, none of the pictures I can find are close enough to make out the names on the nose though. Does anybody have a closer picture that would help me get the decal artwork done?

Thanks,

Hoops

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

Reviving an old thready here, They look similar to the LAU-115 used on Navy Hornets. These would be attached to the unique outboard F-15 pylon, and there are probably some differences to the Navy LAU-115. Any differences will be pretty well hidden between the LAU-128s and missiles though.

The ADU-552 is the adapter for our LAU-128’s.

3 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

The ADU-552 is the adapter for our LAU-128’s.

That is true for the inboard pylons, but the dual LAU-128 mount on the outboard pylons don't look like an ADU-552.

Alpagueur was asking about these:

36222713_1743652089004037_7627380563531268096_o.jpg

Edited by Hoops
19 hours ago, Hoops said:

That is true for the inboard pylons, but the dual LAU-128 mount on the outboard pylons don't look like an ADU-552.

Alpagueur was asking about these:

36222713_1743652089004037_7627380563531268096_o.jpg

Oh, those...sorry.

22 hours ago, Hoops said:

exactly Hoops, they seem different from ADU-552.

Edited by Alpagueur
3 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

exactly Hoops, they seem different from ADU-552.

I think it looks similar to a LAU-115 sandwiched between two LAU-128s. It's probably not exactly the same thing, but it sure looks close.

Hoops

The SA also has a glass cockpit like the F-22 and the F-35 along with Fly by wire controls.   Not external differences but the FLY by Wire allow fo r the outer pylons to be used.

Looking for drawings or pictures of the outer pylons with our the missile rails.   Please let me know if anyone finds them as I am workeignon an SA conversion set in 1/32 scale.

THx

Gary

The Revell kit also has the outboard pylon with the original ALQ pod. I believe the Hasegawa F-15E has outboard pylons too - they ended up on my build anyway. It was originally tested with the AIM-120 and the AGM-88. But, the new pylon may be different. It has been depicted with AIM-120s or AIM-9s.

I'm sure y'all already know this but the original F-15A had provisions for the outer wing pylons. They were to be used for ECM pods, that's why you see the very early F-15 kits with those pods and outer wing pylons. however it was determined that they could put the same ECM gear inside the aircraft  and not have to use the pod. So it seems like the wing always had the structural provisions for the pods and now these later versions have the wiring to hang missiles on them.

Actually the reason the outerpylon was not used was it caused control problems with controlled flight.  Yes,  they were able to put the equipment inside of the airframe,  but it was not the reason for their lack of use.   Going to a “ fly by wire” controls on the SA allowed for these pylons to be used as the flight computers allow for the instability the pylons cause.  

4 hours ago, Janissary said:

Yes, the GE engines. 

Are there close-ups, or better yet, drawings of the triangular DEWS antennas on the side of the cockpit? I want to make a master for it. 

If you Google F-15SA, you can find a lot of pics and videos, many which have good views of the antennas. The video in this article in particular had nice closeups of them.

https://theaviationist.com/2017/02/01/up-close-and-personal-with-the-first-saudi-f-15sa-the-most-advanced-eagle-ever-built/

• 6 months later...