ARC Discussion Forums
HomeBe

1/48 - MiG-25RB/RBS "Foxbat-B/D" by Kitty Hawk - box art - release 2018 ?

Strange! The mistake about the wrong naming of the version was pointed out a long time ago still no correction was made. It’s not like very expensive cutting steel for a new correction, just change one letter on the art work.

On the other hand the box art shows few things which should be in the box to make the right version of RBT. For example the outer reinforcement rib is obviously is missing here, but it is there on the plastic parts. OK just sand it off.

A bit more complicated. Box art shows the right, long, late version of the air intake top lip, exactly the way it was on original aircraft. In plastic form you get the early “short” intake lips. It is not only the length but also the whole top part of the intake which would need to be re-made to make a correct RBT. The same mistake was also on original kit by ICM also, but they made a correction to it.

pyFzf17.jpg

Why Oh Why give the H-58 missile which was the weapon exclusively of the Wild Weasel MiG-25BM version. KH side views also show R-60 Aphid AA missiles and the double launch rail on an interceptor style pylon. All this on a recon aircraft????

eUK2aKA.jpg

It seems KH still has not really mastered the differences between Foxbat versions and what goes where. They had years to correct all this.

Looking at the photos it seems that what is in the box is the same kit as was released so many years ago as an interceptor. Only this time we have a new nose. So are all the problems encountered on the original MiG-25PD kit are repeated also? Looking at the rear of the aircraft I would say yes. The top airbrake is shown open revealing a big airbrake bay in the fuselage. Please take a look at the real thing, the airbrake lays flat on the surface of the airframe!

I know KH representative (was it Mr. Song in 2013) will once again desperately comment as he did with the release of the interceptor that they did not have a chance to have a close look of the real aircraft.

The underside has not been show, I would say for obvious reasons.

There is simply no point in going over the all problems with the original kit again.

VoecAO8.jpg

One welcome side of the kit (if it is going to be part of the standard kit and not just an extra set for more money) is the small plastic holder with resin parts including a detailed engine exhaust and to go with them some ground covers. Well the pilot figures are questionable for a Foxbat. The one on the left is certainly only good for your MiG-29 or Su-27 kits. It is dressed in IPS-72 harness which was NEVER used on the KM-1 or KM-1M seats used in MiG-25’s. It is a “quick harness” for the K-36 seats! The figure has the ZS-7 helmet with the latest oxygen mask completely out of era for a Foxbat.

wCKjbn5.jpg

Good luck to KH with this kit! I would still prefer the ICM if confronted with the choice.

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

wCKjbn5.jpg

If this is a view of the real kit parts then we have a small problem with the scale of the pilots.

On a Russian forum it was rightly pointed out that in comparison to the main wheels the pilots are a little bit of midgets with a hight of around 150-160cm. Not really a proud pilot figure.:D

Best regards

Gabor

I like the camera pallet a lot, and the exhaust covers are neat. Really hoping Aires et al do something similar for the barren ICM RBT.

All stashed up on ICMs with XMM inlets etc., so this one's not for me.

Tony 

Are there any good camera pallet 'walkarounds' available for someone who might want to detail that area on the ICM kit?

PS on the Revell kits “corrected” nose...just buy the CWS nose it looks much better. Revell did little to the original ICM nose...

1 hour ago, dehowie said:

PS on the Revell kits “corrected” nose...just buy the CWS nose it looks much better. Revell did little to the original ICM nose...

Just got my BM conversion set from CWS. Beautiful castings. Now I can build a Mig-25 with big missiles on it :clap2:

On 9/15/2018 at 2:00 AM, ya-gabor said:

Based on AMK F-14 research and development time frame I dont think we will live that long to see the release of AMK MiG-25's. Not a whole family but even the first of them!

Best regards

Gabor  

You know with your beloved devotion to agent Z kits, ( I like most of them) you'd thought they'd upped their quality control by now. I just tossed a second SU27 due to some seriously bad clear parts. The first one had the same issue, and never got a replacement. Dealer finally got me a new kit while vowing he'd never stock that brand again! 

Gary

10 hours ago, MoFo said:

Are there any good camera pallet 'walkarounds' available for someone who might want to detail that area on the ICM kit?

I found a book titled " Soviet Spy Planes Of The Cold War", by

Yefim Gordon & Dmitry Komissarov ( from Pen & Sword). They only show the A70 camera, but there are at least two photos of the pallet under the nose of the fuselage.

The book isn't perfect, but the best I've found so far.

Gary

4 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

You know with your beloved devotion to agent Z kits, ( I like most of them) you'd thought they'd upped their quality control by now. I just tossed a second SU27 due to some seriously bad clear parts. The first one had the same issue, and never got a replacement. Dealer finally got me a new kit while vowing he'd never stock that brand again! 

Gary

Hi Gary

I don’t really see the connection between “The probability of AMK doing MiG-25” and of the Su-27 kit from "agent Z" manufacturer (who ever that is, why not write clearly the name of the maker? Is there a law against this?).

If it is about the Zvezda made Su-27SM in 72nd then all I can say that a dip in Klear produced a perfect canopy for me. I will look around if I made a photo of it when it was built for "A mag" few years ago. But once again I don’t see how this connects to this topic. :shrug:  :shrug:

Best regards

Gabor

18 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Gary

I don’t really see the connection between “The probability of AMK doing MiG-25” and of the Su-27 kit from "agent Z" manufacturer (who ever that is, why not write clearly the name of the maker? Is there a law against this?).

If it is about the Zvezda made Su-27SM in 72nd then all I can say that a dip in Klear produced a perfect canopy for me. I will look around if I made a photo of it when it was built for "A mag" few years ago. But once again I don’t see how this connects to this topic. :shrug:  :shrug:

Best regards

Gabor

The only thing I've seen or read is your constant bashing of a competitor.

18 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Gary

Best regards

Gabor

By the way canopy looked like sandpaper. The second was even worse! The rest of the plastic was fantastic.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:57 AM, MoFo said:

If you can't find that book, I'll gladly loan you mine

Gary

Ok, found one pic on the site of the camera completely outside the pallet: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Galleries/Special/Features/Foxbats/12-FoxbatCamera.jpg.html

I know I have 3-4 more camera pallet pictures in various books, but I am away from home so I can't check.

Dave

8 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

The only thing I've seen or read is your constant bashing of a competitor.

Hi Gary,

Yes, you are absolutely right I have a bias.

- I prefer good kits!

- Good kits which are a scale replica of the real aircraft.

- Good kits irrespective of the manufacturer!

- Good kits on which it is evident that the maker took the time to design an authentic kit with lots of research and careful planning.

When there are problems with a kit I believe forums like this one are there to discuss mistakes and try to find solutions and help others who confront them.

As for the KH MiG-25 kit, I was one of the first ones to buy it when given the opportunity for the simple reason that I liked the subject. Getting it home and having a closer look resulted in a not so complementary opinion about it which I did share. At the first opportunity I sold it.

Sitting back in your comfy armchair in front of a monitor and criticising things that you only seen on the screen and never in real life is more problematic. Of course unless the problem is blatantly clear like the box art saying RBS while it is obvious that it is RBT.

Do I have bad feelings toward AMK. Don think so, actually actively took part in development of the MiG-31 kit with advice / details on correcting CAD for the ejection seat. It was a good working relation with Sio and there were no problems in it at all. Does it mean that I should be blind to any mistakes, problems of the kit. I don’t think so. I did have a test example of it on my workbench many months before release and did report on problems back.

Are Zvezda kits out of this world and the best around? Don’t think so, just have a look at their recent (hilarious) MiG-15, the (useless) Sukhoy T-50, the (fiction) Mi-8 helicopter line . . .

The Su-27 and the Mi-24 kits are excellent kits (not 100% and it is good to see that for you only the canopy was problematic) just as so many other kits from all sorts of manufacturers.

Problem with the canopy, both I have are OK, one is a Zvezda the other was a Revell edition. You have a problem with the canopy? Well I am not the manufacturer so there is little that I can do for you.

Do I like good and authentic kits? Yes I do! There are no preferred manufacturers as long as the kit is good.

Will I share my opinion (good and bad)? Yes I will.

Best regards

Gabor  

Hmm... Suddenly I feel I can somehow relate to certain people with a lot of knowledge that have left the forums. Unbelievable BS.

I have an immense respect for people here who have had first hand experience with the aircraft types I'm fond of. Gabor is one of them and I enjoy reading his posts. 

More people need to make use of the Ignore User function.  

6 hours ago, janman said:

I have an immense respect for people here who have had first hand experience with the aircraft types I'm fond of. Gabor is one of them and I enjoy reading his posts. 

Agreed. I admit to knowing very little about Soviet/Russian aircraft and its nice to have access to ARC members who do. For the most part, if they say something is off then odds are it is. If they recommend a certain kit over another then odds are they are right. It seems we've lost a lot of knowledgeable folks over the years here on ARC and that's sad and a huge loss.

My two cents FWIW.

Regards,

Don

On 10/18/2018 at 12:11 PM, ya-gabor said:

wCKjbn5.jpg

Sorry Gabor, but what’s wrong with the GSH-6 helmet on a second pilot?

On 10/18/2018 at 2:26 PM, ya-gabor said:

On a Russian forum it was rightly pointed out that in comparison to the main wheels the pilots are a little bit of midgets with a hight of around 150-160cm. Not really a proud pilot figure.:D

Yes, the figures looks a bit off-scale, especially in comparison with a front undercarriage strut.

Cheers! 🤝

12 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Sorry Gabor, but what’s wrong with the GSH-6 helmet on a second pilot?

Hi Nikolay,

The GS-6 high altitude pressure helmet simply looks strange on that figure. The overall shape (of what is visible on those images) is not bad but the details and that face part is very strange, this is why the question marks are there. The very prominent heated face plate/window part and all its attachments are missing. It looks on that figure as if it was just the metal body of the helmet with a face cut-out and nothing more. The face plate should be up for a pilot on the ground or down with a sitting figure but it should be represented in some form.  

It is ether GS-6A or the later GS-6LP but from the outside it is difficult to identify.  I would have expected that on early MiG-25’s the period GS-6M would be more appropriate and the difference there is clearly visible. Actually looking at period photos in everyday use with the MiG-25 recon/bomber versions the simple ZS-3 or ZS-3M was more common, replaced later with ZS-5.

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, tony.t said:

Is this chap any good?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QAB480079

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yep, it looks more likely. See that Aires decided to make the face shield separately from etched brass. The head on the left is the one I would go for with the shield in “up” position.

Have to say that pilots did not really like it (well Hungarians anyway), although it was far better than the previous GS-4 helmet which was a real pain in the axx.

I have both GS-4 and GS-6 (3 different versions) and did try it out. For the GS-6 the “neck valve” is a painful thing and the whole assembly is fairly heavy so no close air combat/dogfights in these helmets. When you close it down it is an "interesting feeling". So normally the shield was closed at the very last possible moment but more likely that the pilot before flight only had the neck device on him (for which he needs outside assistance to get it on) as well as the VKK-6 costume (which is essential part of the high altitude full pressure system).

Anyway the neck piece is on the pilot and the actual helmet in hand is the more common scene and the pilot has the inner helmet on (a textile helmet and the “podslemnik” white textile under it). Without the inner textile helmet he would not be able to turn his head so that the actual helmet turns as well!!! To get the actual GS-6 helmet on is fairly easy and simple to lock it, which the pilot can do himself at the last moment.

There are different size helmets, different size inner helmets and different size neck pieces and they are all individually adjusted to a given pilot. Also part of the whole system is a special glove, special socks and the cumbersome boot.

It sounds a bit complicated,

-OK a bit complicated and heavy,

-OK a bit complicate, a bit heavy and tight,

-OK a bit complicated, bit heavy, bit tight and also hard to put on. . .  but it works:D :D :D :D

On that Aires figure it looks like the pilot has a VK-3 ventilation costume over the VKK-6 pressure costume. Which is OK also. 

Best regards

Gabor

On 10/23/2018 at 11:43 AM, ya-gabor said:

The very prominent heated face plate/window part and all its attachments are missing. It looks on that figure as if it was just the metal body of the helmet with a face cut-out and nothing more. The face plate should be up for a pilot on the ground or down with a sitting figure but it should be represented in some form.

You’re right, Gabor, I’m overlooked it.

On 10/23/2018 at 2:56 PM, tony.t said:

This looks good, thanks Tony!

22 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I have both GS-4 and GS-6 (3 different versions) and did try it out. For the GS-6 the “neck valve” is a painful thing and the whole assembly is fairly heavy so no close air combat/dogfights in these helmets. When you close it down it is an "interesting feeling". So normally the shield was closed at the very last possible moment but more likely that the pilot before flight only had the neck device on him (for which he needs outside assistance to get it on) as well as the VKK-6 costume (which is essential part of the high altitude full pressure system).

Thanks, Gabor! It’s very interesting to know.

23 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

On that Aires figure it looks like the pilot has a VK-3 ventilation costume over the VKK-6 pressure costume. Which is OK also.

Looks like a usual combination for a MiG-21, -23 and -25 pilots, isn’t it?

Cheers! 😎