Greek A-7E (and not A-7H)

I'm contemplating modelling a HAF A-7E but haven't found much info on the E version as used by the Greeks.

I understand that modeling a proper A-7H from an E means doing some modifications.

But is the HAF A-7E just that, a straight E?

Any and all input is most welcome! 😊

It is, for the most part.  Only a few mods were made to the aircraft before delivery to the HAF.  Most notably, the landing gear was modified.  An A-7E used by the HAF is NOT the same as an A-7H.  The H-model was purpose-built for the HAF, whereas the E was delivered from surplus US Navy stocks.

This may help.

The Modern SLUF Guide

Edited by jmel
1 hour ago, scotthldr said:

The catbar on the nose gear was removed.

The main wheels(not the whole undercarriage) were from A-7D's.

The seats were the later STENCEL SJU-8's.

Good info, thanks!

I went ahead and ordered the The modern SLUF Guide. Looking forward to read it. 😊

While I have the book on the way to me, I am still a bit too curious about the main wheels.

As per above the HAF A-7E use the D mainwheel, but what is the difference between the D and E wheel?

Thanks to anyone having the patience to educate me while the book is in transit... 😊

The  -D has wider tire and better brakes for long landing roll outs.  The -E had narrower higher pressure tires for carrier landing use.  Sort of like the Navy F-4B and the Air Force F-4C.  The noticeable difference would be the wider tires and a different wheel design.

Geoff M

11 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

The  -D has wider tire and better brakes for long landing roll outs.  The -E had narrower higher pressure tires for carrier landing use.  Sort of like the Navy F-4B and the Air Force F-4C.  The noticeable difference would be the wider tires and a different wheel design.

Geoff M

Thanks Geoff!
I guess Trumpeter never bothered to include alternate wheels in their D and E...

I don't have my E kit at hand and as of now I have a set of Harold's AMS Resin wheels, which I believe are for the E version. 

Paint the hubs Black instead of White and you're sorted, no one will be able to tell unless you tell them(damn it I've just told them)

or if accuracy is paramount AMS did both the D and E wheels https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMS-Resin-1-32-Vought-A-7D-Corsair-II-Wheels-Set-/272763928554

Edited by scotthldr
10 hours ago, EagleAviation said:

Modern SLUF guide is a great addition to anyone that wants to build an accurate Corsair. Good luck with your project and I can't wait to see photos from your build. 

Thanks, I look forward to receiving the book and get going with my project.

I haven't done any WIP threads for ages but I may start one when the time comes. 

😊

On 9/12/2018 at 3:28 PM, scotthldr said:

The catbar on the nose gear was removed.

The main wheels(not the whole undercarriage) were from A-7D's.

The seats were the later STENCEL SJU-8's.

Again, sorry for being a bit impatient while waiting for the book, but the STENCEL SJU-8 seat mentioned above is the same as the seat included in the Aires 'late' A-7E cockpit set, right?

I mean, as opposed to the seat included in the Aires 'early' cockpit set.

23 hours ago, EagleAviation said:

Modern SLUF guide is a great addition to anyone that wants to build an accurate Corsair. Good luck with your project and I can't wait to see photos from your build. 

Hi Ioannis! What about a HAF A-7 under the skin book? I think I would miss it already!