Revell (ex-Crown) 1:144 B-52H Stratofortress: Dr. Strangelove build now complete

Thanks Jonah. 

BTW, I just received the Golden Dragon 1/144 "B-52H early" set, #GDPR44008.  Even though it is labeled "early," it includes ECM nose bumps, but no EVS. So maybe it represents an early mod bird, circa early 1970s?  I thought thatthe EVS mod came first,  followed by the ECM blisters on the nose. [I don't have their B-52H "Late" set to compare.]  I will upload a review either here or under the ARC Forum Review section in a month or so.  It does include the smaller wing tanks, and I will use these instead of the rather bulbous wing tanks in the Crown / Revell early B-52H kit. I don't have a Minicraft B-52H re-pop of this kit to compare the wing tank sizes.  I have not attached the kit provided tanks to the wing yet; so I will clean up, prime & spray silver the GD tanks and see how they compare. Will post photos on the SCM album.  

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

@11bee, Thanks, buts she's wheels up, so already in the air flying airborne alert at the Fail Safe point!  Oops, sorry!  Wrong movie! 

For everyone else. I just received a set of Golden Dragon (Ex-Bug Master) #GDPR44008 B-52H Early (for Revell #4052) conversion set.  I don't know what has been said about Bug Master or Golden Dragon in the past on this forum, but these moldings are exquisite and I will use the engines, tanks and save the ECM nose, windshield and tail turret for later.  So, I have decided to modify my B-52H "Leper Colony" of the 843rd Bomb Wing with these nice resin pieces.  I have posted new photos at the SCM project album.

Edited by Dutch

More progress tonight.  I painted the engine exhausts in dark gunmetal.  Then i added the flat black anti-glare panel. I messed up with the very pale tan for the front radome. I thinned it a little too much and the first daub ran down the side and over the silver paint. I quickly wiped it off,  but slightly marred the silver paint right below the pilot's cockpit window where the SAC badge decal will go, so maybe i can recover it okay. I also painted the rear turret and fc radars. Once i figure out the tan paint, I will finish it up this weekend. 

drstran7.jpg

Edited by Dutch

SO I finished off the radome with another bottle of tan which was slightly thicker and went on much better.  I also located a small bottle of gloss white (sorry, no flat) and painted the windscreen.  Lastly, I assembled the two AGM-28 Hound Dog missiles components and will paint white before final assembly.  I realize that the "Leper Colony" did not mount AGM-28 in the movie, but I already mounted the pylons under the wings, so what the hey!  Dr. Strangelove project link here.

The Crown moldings [Crown/Revell/Minicraft] include an instrument panel combing  and two seats. The newer Revell castings [#4583/84] include instrument panel combing, two yokes, and two seats. 

Hmm, i could put it on some clear acrylic rod and paint a B-17 shadow on the ground!

• 1 month later...