Hi folks!

It's been 2 months since I've started and I'm calling her complete! This must be a speed record for me. I don't think I've finished anything this quick since my childhood.

The group build's time limit must have given me a kick in my lazy behind.

One of my main concerns about WWI aircraft is the rigging and it turned out to be a relative non-issue. It helped that the Dr.1 didn't have much to rig.

I planned and drilled all the holes during the construction phase. Rigging was done after painting and I used stretchy rigging lines secured with superglue. Not difficult to do at all.

HW9Ci7L.jpg

26uw4up.jpg

The engineering for the gun assemblies was super fiddly. Every part was butt joined. The lack of positive location made alignment difficult.
The photoetch aiming sights were added from my stash.
M6Hr0fC.jpg

My other concern was the fragile nature of these aircraft. Unfortunately, this turned out to be well founded.

Final assembly was punctuated by frequent loud outbursts as I broke everything at least once and several struts multiple times.

I carried out the numerous repairs and touch ups while cursing like a sailor.

Here are the final pictures, warts and all.
lN3c1gY.jpg

XFIwgWc.jpg

UMIg32B.jpg

oeawTQL.jpg

l8vIcpW.jpg

There are a few more pics in the completed section of the group build.

Even with all the challenges, I must admit that I've enjoyed building this kit.
I have a few more WWI projects in the stash too. 
Thanks for looking folks!
-co

Edited by CaptainObvious

Thanks for the kinds comments Dnl, Kurt and Phantom!

21 hours ago, Els said:

Your hard work shows, the kit turned out great.  The red with the shading/weathering looks good.  Red is not always easy to paint without it looking like a toy.

Els

Thanks Els! I actually bought quite a few different bottles of red to try to pin down the color of the baron's plane. There are some surviving samples from the wreckage which are a bit brownish but that may have been due to oxidation.

After tearing my hair out, I decided to follow Eduard's callout and  settled with gunze's H3 red... :doh:

You've hit the nail right on the head as I was very worried about it turning out toy like. These aircraft generally didn't survive that many flights to accumulate much weathering. The crew also kept them in tip top condition with a wipe down after every flight.

You can bet that they took extra special care of the baron's ride.

But I took some liberties and grimed her up a little bit with some pastels just to give the paint job a little patina.
-co