Would have to define "fly" more precisely. ANYTHING can fly and WILL land. Now if that's straight and level and survivable is a totally different question. But I will say in my youth, I did some aerodynamic testing on the basic fuselage of egg "planes" (no wings) and they flew quite well with a pretty good distance flight. The sudden impact into the neighbor's door though prevented me from testing the landing ability. 😈

Bill

There's some pretty ugly and ungainly aircraft out there that when you look at them you think "how the heck can that thing fly?". So anything is possible I'd say.

Related image

Related image

With the advent of styrofoam RC planes, people were bound to get creative. 

There is a distinct subset of RC foamies and they are called "cartoon planes" with the obligatory cartoonish appearance that you would find in a Sunday comic strip. 

https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24_62

Love the picture of the Goblin.  The pensive pilot contemplating what he is about to get himself into and the casual engineer reassuring him, " Oh yeah.  It'll fly.  I mean, we're sure that flying is not going to be an issue at all.  Well, pretty sure.  I mean sure nobody has actually flown it, but there's virtually no chance it won't fly.  For at least a little while.  Probably.  (long pause)  I would work on landings first.  If I were you.  See you at the club."

Rick L.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:17 AM, VADM Fangschleister said:

With the advent of styrofoam RC planes, people were bound to get creative. 

There is a distinct subset of RC foamies and they are called "cartoon planes" with the obligatory cartoonish appearance that you would find in a Sunday comic strip. 

https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24_62

Well well well. As a famous hollywood actor once said "i have got to get me one of these"    Thanks for that link, you more or less answered my question. They do fly 😄 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 2:21 PM, breadneck said:

Well well well. As a famous hollywood actor once said "i have got to get me one of these"    Thanks for that link, you more or less answered my question. They do fly 😄 

Basic aerodynamic laws still hold, of course.  But...given that the Reynolds number is much lower, that is, you cannot change the size of a molecule of air so therefore, the fluid effect going over a model airplane is less effective than over the full-scale machine, airfoils are more efficient with a more exaggerated cross-section.  With that said, I'm sure with some trial & error, you could make a foamie egg plane and might even start a new trend.