Death of a build: Tamiya Delta Tomcat (VX-23)

Wasn't completely happy with the MIG color grey's as the base colors.  They were just too close to each other and washed each other out.  I grabbed some Vallejo acrylic paint that was a slightly darker tint for both the 36320 and 35237.  Did a respray (more a marble coat) of the new tints and I like the separation of the base colors much better.  The lighting of my workbench isn't that great so the photos aren't be best, sorry about that.

From the limited photos I have vX-23 repainted the vert stabs after they got rid of the dayglow orange tails.  I painted them in a slightly cleaner paint.

Cleaned up the bench and now it's  time to move onto detail painting and then decals.  Weathering is going to wait until post-decal.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN8191.jpg

DSCN8192.jpg

DSCN8194.jpg

DSCN8197.jpg

DSCN8201.jpg

DSCN8202.jpg

DSCN8203.jpg

BLUF....I tried something new, and now this build is dead.

Attempted to use some masking fluid to cover panel lines then cover the area with Tamiya Smoke.  Well after putting the fluid on, letting it dry...dabbing some more on the upper area, I then painted on some thin smoke.  I kept going. They tried to tone everything down with a slight coat of very well thinned BUFF from Tamiya.  First wing...very nice subtle tone down of the smoke.  Mixed some more and turned the wing yellow...now I had a mismatched wing.  Followed buy the next hour of repainting, mixing, repainting some more to make the upper colors match again.  I was able to get everything back sorta like it was before.  But then I tried taking the masking fluid off.  It was stuck to the kit like cement.  Completely ruined the horizontal stabs and then tried the upper surface of the aircraft.  The kit was a MORT after that.  I had to bin it.

I believe I am a good modeler and just went to far instead of sticking with basics.  I like the effects of the multi-tone pre-shading/base painting I have done on this kit (and others before it. I made the mistake of experimenting on this kit when I shouldn't have.  I should have just stuck to the basics....gloss/decals/semi-gloss/panel line wash/some light oil weathering/heavier weathering around the engines...and semi/flat coat....done.

I love this hobby, it just sometimes bites you and keeps you humble.

Cheers

Collin

wow thats really lousy. you know I just bought some masking fluid today to try that technique myself. maybe I will try it on a separate small part first.

I am truly sorry that your project is not going to get done.

7 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Bummer man. I'm still going to use some of your photos as a reference when I tackle my TamiyaCat though as it was beautiful. Maybe you can salvage stuff like to cockpit for another build?

Exactly what I did already. I’ll build my second Delta no doubt about it. Heck, I may even wait for the AMK Delta and build that as my VX bird....oh wait. 

Cheers

Collin

That sucks Collin, especially at the cost of the Tamiya kit, she was looking really good. ☹️ This is why I ALWAYS try new things on my paint mule before applying the process to the project. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"