F-4 Phantom AF,Navy, Marine versions in Vietnam

I’ll be honest there are times where I look at a picture of an F-4 or another aircraft, I find the decals to correspond with said airframe, then find out that there’s a bunch of stuff added or deleted from the “A/B/C/D/E/F/G” designation and I’m just like whhhhaaaaa??? Is it really worth the effort haha?!

yeah, there are different levels for different people. And for different aircraft with the same people.

I want to get ALQ-51, -100, etc, justttt right for my F-4s.

But for something like the F-14, all I care about is if the pointy end faces the front, and the wings sweep. F-16N are the same. S-2 and S-3 are the same deal.

But, F-4, A-4, A-7, F-8, A-6, A-1, etc,,,,,,those I dive into the details.

Some people just want a Spitfire,,,,,others want to get the tape correct over the gun ports and have exactly the right wing and engine make. (and the crowbar in exactly the right place and color)

On 9/20/2018 at 8:56 AM, stalal said:

If I ask you guys who have built Phantom kits.

What will be your opinion about 1/32 Tamiya Phantom series? I was interested in either their F-4J or F-4C/D kit. 

There arent a lot reviews about their F-4C/D kit. 

The Tamiya 1/32 F-4 kits are great, but the intakes are a pain in the neck. It’s easier to just install some aftermarket ones than to try to fill the seams on the kit intakes. DMold and Rhino make some good ones. There are loads of aftermarket available so you can correct or add as much detail as you want.

For the Hasegawa 1/48 RF-4 kits, note that the aft fuselage is the style used with the long J-79 afterburner nozzles, even thought they include the short nozzles, too. I guess because it was originally released as an RF-4EJ. Here is a great explanation of what I’m talking about, courtesy of Tommy Thomason: LINK

Ben

Very glad that Tommy re-found that "lost knowledge" about those eye lids.

Drawings in books back in the "old days" showed that difference,,,,,,and then the drawings all got "generic" sometime after that. Now that tidbit is back again.

Having that info online and from a guy like Tommy,,,,,,means that people can go back to filing or filling again, to get that difference correct. Only the very newest kits address that item.

Tommy has been a tremendous source of information! I’m looking forward to his upcoming F-4 book.

Unfortunately, changing the Hasegawa fuselage to better represent the short nozzle version turned out to be a bit more involved than expected. You have to add ~2 mm to the aft fuselage, and it gets pretty thin, once you sand it to shape. The kit and aftermarket nozzles aren’t designed for this, so they have to be sanded to fit. I’m away from my computer right now but I can post a pic the next time I pass by my desk. 

Ben

I wish he could be talked into doing an F-4B book, then an N, then a J, then an S, then,,,,,,,,,,the RF-4B.

But, I'll just be glad to get the F-4A book when he finishes it.

I like all of the "purty pictures" books well enough,,,,,,,,but an F-4A book from Tommy, done in the same style as "Scooter" will be a real treat.

I built a J years ago. I know there are accuracy issues but d%#n if it doesn't build up into an impressive model. The F-4 in 1/32 scale is a big bird and looks mean. Here's a pic. Sorry for the poor quality.

F-4 002