Moving and Models

Plastic tubs (oversized to your models) and teddy bear stuffing. A friend who makes commission models uses this combo for shipping completed models. No fluff/paper dust, lightweight, doesnt damagelike Styrofoam peanuts can, forms a good cushion. 

37 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Plastic tubs (oversized to your models) and teddy bear stuffing. A friend who makes commission models uses this combo for shipping completed models. No fluff/paper dust, lightweight, doesnt damagelike Styrofoam peanuts can, forms a good cushion. 

I never would have imagined that combination for shipping. How innovative. Thanks!

I moved about 25 1-48 planes 18 months ago.  I put each one in its own plastic bag, twisted it closed, then used boxes filled with shredded paper.  A layer on the bottom. Insert plane in bag.  Surround the plane with more shreds and continue until box was full. 

Have to say say maybe not the best method but it’s what I had available.  I ended up having to do minor repairs on about 1/3.  Missing weapons.  The odd broken landing gear.  Nothing horribly major. Phantom horizontal stabilizers were the worst - but then I find they sometimes fall off if I look at them the wrong way.  

If you DO happen to go with styrofoam packing peanuts be aware that the biodegradable ones are a huge no-no. IIRC they are made of corn starch and are designed to dissolve in water, in theory. In practice, any humidity affects them.

I put six on the flat panel under the rear glass, behind the back seat, of our four door sedan. I don't know what you call this area, the back dashboard? I set them there just like they were in my display case. I towed this vehicle behind a Penske truck 1250 miles. No damage whatsoever, they didn't even move.

Edited by Dafixer

I second Bikerider's suggestion of using the plastic bags.  The last time I moved I used some big Zip Lock bags.  It protects the model from what ever you use to cushion the kits and it also makes it much easier to find any small parts that get knocked off during the move.  It is no fun digging through a million packing peanuts to find a missing gear door.