Completed OH-58A 1/48 ESCI

Wow so nice and great weathering. I have this scheme on my to do list and even have one partly assembled.

Did they actually fly with the front doors off? The last one I built I propped the front doros open but it was difficult with such small glue areas on the hinge parts. Fit closed was not too bad though.

Looks good.

Did they actually fly with the front doors off?

All the time, most OH-58s fly w/out pilots doors since they can get very hot inside them.  It also gives the pilot a better view.

6th_Aviation_Regiment_Kiowa.jpg

Australian_Army_Kiowa_helicopter.jpg

Or without rear doors.

1280px-Austria_(%C3%96sterreich),_Zeltwe

And no doors.

61429_1124761415.jpg

On 9/20/2018 at 1:43 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Did they actually fly with the front doors off? The last one I built I propped the front doros open but it was difficult with such small glue areas on the hinge parts. Fit closed was not too bad though.

First, let me say, great job Charlie.  Love it.

To add to what Gino said, there are airspeed limitations with doors off.  You can fly faster with the front doors off, than the back doors.  It's interesting reading the manual.  But, I have flown, in the summer a little over a month ago, with all the doors on.  It was a little stuffy, lol.  But, the vents aren't too bad if you're up front.  Sucks to be in the back because the vents shoot air 90 degrees inward, but, the seat is farther back, so the guy in back gets no air unless he holds his arm out to feel it (back seat in a 58 is actually pretty big and you sit well behind the vent on the window).  Was a long day.....  But, doors off in the front really isn't too bad.

Really wish the 58 had A/C like the 67 does.  Only takes about 4% of the power, which in Alabama in the summer is a great trade-off.  And the 58 has more power to trade.

Looking forward to more 58 builds.  Again, great job Charlie.