Enamel Paint Cleaner

Hi everyone! I just would like to ask, particularly those perennial enamel paint on airbrush users. I'm using an internal-mixing type of airbrush, which liquid or solution would be best to use in order to dissolve the enamel paint on the cup itself when internal-mixing is put into effect and that could flush out the paint on the needle easily.  When compared to lacquer thinners on lacquer paints, one can easily see it dissolved leaving you just like 10% on the cup wall. But with lacquer thinner or enamel thinner on enamel paints, it's like nothing happened. In other words, I'm looking for something cheap but strong to easily dissolve the enamel paint very easily.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by flybywire

What kind of enamel are you using that isn't effected by either enamel or lacquer thinners? I have always used lacquer thinners to clean out enamels and lacquers from my airbrush and it has always worked fine. I use the plain old hardware store cheap lacquer. If you are trying to use something like Tamiya or Mr Color lacquer thinners you may have problems as they are much milder versions of lacquer thinner. Hardware store lacquer thinner is hotter and should dissolve just about anything short of dried on epoxy enamels.

Get some Testor’s paint remover/stripper in the tan can. For that fact any  stripper. It’s like a laxative for your airbrush! I often put a drop or twi in the cup after a paint session. It keeps things “loose” because any residue will stay emulsified. Just purge it with thinner before putting you paint in the cup for your next spray session.

On 9/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, Mstor said:

What kind of enamel are you using that isn't effected by either enamel or lacquer thinners? I have always used lacquer thinners to clean out enamels and lacquers from my airbrush and it has always worked fine. I use the plain old hardware store cheap lacquer. If you are trying to use something like Tamiya or Mr Color lacquer thinners you may have problems as they are much milder versions of lacquer thinner. Hardware store lacquer thinner is hotter and should dissolve just about anything short of dried on epoxy enamels.

I'm using Tamiya and Model Master enamels. I was told that there are many variants/grades of commercial lacquer thinner; maybe I am using the weakest kind.

On 9/21/2018 at 5:43 AM, BillS said:

Get some Testor’s paint remover/stripper in the tan can. For that fact any  stripper. It’s like a laxative for your airbrush! I often put a drop or twi in the cup after a paint session. It keeps things “loose” because any residue will stay emulsified. Just purge it with thinner before putting you paint in the cup for your next spray session.

I'll also give this one a try and see what happens. Thanks also for the tip!