2 Tamiya F-14's staycation project

I have 2 weeks off and nothing to do (yes dreams do come true) so I decided between naps I would build my 2 tamiya tomcats and listen to Led Zeppelin .

one is an A and one is a D model both VF-2

I started the wings and vertical stabs last week.

DSC_0269-XL.jpg

DSC_0270-XL.jpg

30 minutes ago, janman said:

Zeppelin and Tomcats. What else do you need! 😄

I completely agree.

Dylan, those pieces are looking extremely nice. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

thanks fellas. here are some more from earlier in the week.

you can paint most of the landing gear on the sprues

DSC_0272-XL.jpg

and with a little creative pre painting you can save yourself a lot of masking

DSC_0273-XL.jpg

DSC_0275-XL.jpg

DSC_0276-XL.jpg

DSC_0279-XL.jpg

32 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Seriously impressive work so far Dylan. What did you use on the landing gear bays to add the shadow/ depth contrast, just a black wash?

its mostly paynes grey with a dab of lamp black.

22 minutes ago, EagleAviation said:

Can't be better that this! Two weeks for Tomcats baby! 

Love your finish! Is the weathering done only with airbrush? 

so far only airbrush work, I will be doing a panel line wash after I get the decals all done and sealed.

thanks Captain Obvious 😂

the wings and tails were done last week, so I got a bit of a head start.

I could bore you all with in progress shots of the closscoat decals.. etc. but I wont. here is how they look after last night's marathon of the wash and mattcoat.

then I couldn't help just assembling a few bits like the landing gear ,wings and tails.

DSC_0289-XL.jpg

DSC_0290-XL.jpg

25 minutes ago, Petrov27 said:

looking mighty fine there

what paints are you using for the greys? What process for the mottled effect if you dont mind sharing (again looks great)

thanks.

I am using Mr.paint not to be confused with Mr.color. I prime everything black then mottle the insides of the panels with either the colour I am spraying or white like this

DSC_0243-XL.jpg

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDGE!

while installing one of the landing gear doors it fell onto the floor. nbd I thought untill I turned it over and discovered that it bounced off the glove area, and of course the tiny area with glue and paint on it left a nice white smudge of the grey paint.

I think someone is telling me that it is time to have a few cold ones and watch deadpool

DSC_0291-XL.jpg

A little corrosion control painting to fix the glue mark 😉 

curious why didn't just use the kit decals for VF-2 CAG? They got them correct, where as the ones on your model have the wrong flap numbers, wrong font and size for USS CONSTELLATION...

great builds! Thank you for using the Fightertown Decals VF-2 ODS markings. It was interesting that VF-2 applied the Ranger titles in 36375. 

thanks Brian. I used as many of the 2 bobs decals as possible as the kit decals are not as user friendly. I think you and about 6 other people in the world would even notice.

I am eagerly awaiting your new sheets. I want to build Bullet 06 next.

well I fixed the glue mark and then tried to paint the red ang green lights. every other light except the glove lights turned out ok, I might have to rethink those.

DSC_0293-XL.jpg