2 Tamiya F-14's staycation project

continuing to come together fantastic - great to follow along this weekend!

Yeah one of the big surprises to me was that the various lights on the Tam kit are not separate bits in clear plastic - instead  you have to paint the grey to look like clear red etc

Edited by Petrov27

well here is as far as I get this weekend. I have plans with some friends for the next 2 days so I will be taking a break.

I spent most of tonight adding all the tiny bits and pieces like pitot probes and the ladder

DSC_0294-XL.jpg

DSC_0295-XL.jpg

the vertical stabs will be the last thing I glue on, it's so much easier to add stuff to the bottom when you can lie it flat.

DSC_0296-XL.jpg

the A model is slightly farther along

DSC_0297-XL.jpg

DSC_0298-XL.jpg

and I even managed to get the exhausts painted for the A model

DSC_0299-XL.jpg

I can see there are quite a few touch ups to do. this is my least favorite part of building an airplane, the little crap that keeps it from being complete..starting tuesday the ordnance

On 9/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, dylan said:

this is my least favorite part of building an airplane, the little crap that keeps it from being complete..starting tuesday the ordnance

The last 20% takes half the total time!
Jokes aside, nice save on the glue mark. Looks absolutely perfect. 
-co

I think I am a little Tomcatted out. not much progress this week.

Tarps and bullwinkle pods on the A.

DSC_0300-XL.jpg

Seats and canopy done...ish. I'm not a fan of how the seats turned out at all, I might get a set of quickboost seats

DSC_0301-XL.jpg

on the D model I got the chin pod finally done, due to some hamfistedness I had to repaint it twice. also seats and canopy done on this one.

DSC_0302-XL.jpg

and the one Phoenix missile. the kit decals are less than user friendly and can go eat an entire bag of richards.

DSC_0303-XL.jpg

They look awesome! How is the clearance between the front IP coming canvas and the bottom of the windscreen? If front-lower part of the canvas was made thicker with tissue or milliput (say 0.5mm thick) would that interfere with the windscreen? Looks like a tight fit but can't tell clearly from the pics.