Airfix 1:144 Boeing 737-100 Prototype - NASA

• 2 weeks later...

Okay!  I ran into a problem.  After painting the first coat of primer white with one brand of paint, and running out, I went to several stores looking for the particular brand, only to be told that the particular line is no longer in production.  So I bought another big name brand of white primer and paint all-in-one and applied a fairly thin coat.  The results are not encouraging.  The new paint immediately attacked the previous coat and created a cracked, parched ground appearance.  Check out photos here.  So I will strip it all off and start over.

Edited by Dutch

So, do I remove the accumulated paint with thinner, risking damage to putty, etc? Or do I  justuse very fine emery cloth or sanding sponge to remove crazing and risk possible re-crazing when i apply new coats? Need some good advice on the subject please.

R/Dutch

I would completely remove the paint layers. You can always re-putty.

stick with one brand of paint. I’ve found its best to airbrush in thin layers for best results.

Im sorry about your mishap. It can be both discouraging and irritating. I’ve had many. This is recoverable. You’re going to have a beautiful build in the end!

R/Dutch you better go with an Oven cleaner, that will not attack the plastic and putty. It only removes the paint. Trust me. I had a model train completely losing all of it's detail while stripping with thinner. I use HG Oven Cleaner, foam on and let it do the job. Will get a bit slippery and wear some hand protection (bites a bit). Wash thoroughly with soapy water and it's clean for another try.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Speedy bringing up model trains brings to mind that here in US there are model railroad paint suppliers who make a couple different paint removers which are safe to use on plastic models.

And yes, in my experience they will also remove Squadron green putty; for some reason I can't remember for sure with their white putty.

(but it is only 5-30-something a.m. right now)

NOTE: at least one brand will also turn resin parts in to jelly. 

Thank you all!  Right!  I will stay away from the grain alcohol and fresh rain water (*) and go for the foaming oven cleaner.  I am traveling at the moment, so will tackle this in a couple of weeks when I get back. I will post more pictures on the SCM album as I try this technique and move along.

[ (*) with a nod to Brig Gen Jack D. Ripper, Commander, 843rd Bombardment Wing, Burpelson AFB @ 1964 ]

Edited by Dutch