Phantom fuselage correction set for ZM kits released

Guys,

a few days ago I've released my latest product, a correction set for the Zoukei Mura Phantom kits. It rectifies the shape error  in the aft fuselage parts, at the engine "shoulders".

As you can see, this is not a "drop fit" set - cutting of the fuselage is required as well as some sanding and blending to integrate the replacement parts seamlessly. I do provide self adhesive guide strips though that will give you the precise cutting line, based on existing kit panel lines as well as thorough instructions.

I think the Zoukei Mura Phantoms are great kits, probably the best available but the shape problem is there and I wanted to fix it. Whether you care about the shape error or not, whether you think it's worth correcting or not or whether you don't really care for ZM's Phantoms altogether is totally up to you. Decide with your wallet. 😎

DSC_0953a.jpg

The set installed, after blending and primer:

DSC_0943a.jpg

DSC_0945a.jpg

Refined surface detail at the chaff/flare bucket door:

DSC_0947a.jpg

DSC_0956a.jpg

DSC_0960a.jpg

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK

"They said they re-measured and reworked the area for the long-nose Phantoms...Let's see."

And if they do re-work it,,,,,,,,that means that even they have agreed that the shape is off.

This is one of those things that will show up as extremely obvious to all online writers,,,,,once their F-4E comes out,,or once someone else releases a new tooling to compete for the sales dollars.

(exact same thing happened to Academy when the Z-M kit came out, only then did people accept that there were problems with the Academy kit)

I can see the difference in the carefully-composed photo above showing the original and corrected contours, but... it just doesn’t make me nuts like it clearly does others! It takes a lot of work for me to look past all of the great detail and see that subtle thing. I have a Z-M F-4D and F-4J in the works, and am getting nothing but enjoyment out of the process.

I hope they don’t rework the contours for the F-4E, so I can watch the wailing here! 

1 hour ago, andrew.deboer said:

I can see the difference in the carefully-composed photo above showing the original and corrected contours, but... it just doesn’t make me nuts like it clearly does others! It takes a lot of work for me to look past all of the great detail and see that subtle thing. I have a Z-M F-4D and F-4J in the works, and am getting nothing but enjoyment out of the process.

I hope they don’t rework the contours for the F-4E, so I can watch the wailing here! 

I'm not interested in a C/D or J/S Phantom, but if I was, I'd definitely get the Z-M one(s), even with the rear fuselage problem. It isn't THAT big a deal, though now that Jeffrey's correction is out, I'd probably get it just cause.

I will get the E when it comes out. Correction or no. Actually, I am hoping they will release and EJ Kai or have that as an option in the E kit. Again, I would probably add the correction, just so I could say to myself it is accurate, or not, if I think it too much work. One thing I won't do is deny that there is an issue, but they are d%#m fine kits.

Jeffery that is sure some beautiful work. I think the rear shot is the most dramatic to show the difference.

At the moment I do not have the ZM kit as I have stacks of various other manufacturers and adding to the pile now seems redundant even though the ZM kit has been said to be the best. No matter it is great that you have done this and I am sure the modelling world is very thankful for that.

I also see that your site is back up now so I think it is time to pick up some of your sets that I have been putting off.

But, Gary,,,,,,isn't that the hobby?

Get the cockpit right, get the airframe right, buy or create the best exhausts that we can.

Then add details to the landing gear, get the best pylons, tanks and weapons that we can find.

Then apply the best aftermarket decals that we can get for the scheme that we want.

The alternative is 457 builds of the exact same markings that come in the box for any given model,,,,,,with no mods that stand out from each other's builds, all with OOB weapons and tanks.

I really "don't get" updating the cockpit and exhaust and landing gear,,,,,but, not fixing (or even admitting) any shape errors in the model kit that we start with in our builds.

The Z-M Phantom is such a good kit of an F-4, but, add that one little fix, and it could be called the best possible model when it is finished.

Edited by Rex
3 hours ago, Rex said:

But, Gary,,,,,,isn't that the hobby?

Get the cockpit right, get the airframe right, buy or create the best exhausts that we can.

Then add details to the landing gear, get the best pylons, tanks and weapons that we can find.

Then apply the best aftermarket decals that we can get for the scheme that we want.

The alternative is 457 builds of the exact same markings that come in the box for any given model,,,,,,with no mods that stand out from each other's builds, all with OOB weapons and tanks.

I really "don't get" updating the cockpit and exhaust and landing gear,,,,,but, not fixing (or even admitting) any shape errors in the model kit that we start with in our builds.

The Z-M Phantom is such a good kit of an F-4, but, add that one little fix, and it could be called the best possible model when it is finished.

Now right up front I liked the ZM kit right out of the box. The detail set will only make it better. I may buy four sets, as I'm going to get the D kit to go along with my two C kits. I would also like to do an E. Yet I find myself setting on several sets of Impact decals for Marine units.

Gary

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Looks great, Jeffrey! Any word on when we can expect a canopy set, like the ones you make for the Hasegawa and Academy kits? I think that's probably the one remaining unaddressed issue with the kit. 

Cheers!

Ben

Cheers Ben,

this is the next item on my list, after I have somehow won the battle to get the new Skywarrior and Canberra canopies ready and released (they're fighting back at the moment...), hopefully by the end of the year, maybe Telford.

Initial investigations revealed that Zoukei Mura haven't made it easy to fit a canopy insert by moulding some kind of internal structure under the front canopy that's kind of half way between nothing and what should be there. It's impossible to make a resin piece that's thin enough to fit over this so unfortunately the modeller will have to sand this away. I'm considering to supply a masking strip that will protect the canopy while doing this....

J

On 9/23/2018 at 5:33 PM, Rex said:

"They said they re-measured and reworked the area for the long-nose Phantoms...Let's see."

And if they do re-work it,,,,,,,,that means that even they have agreed that the shape is off.

This is one of those things that will show up as extremely obvious to all online writers,,,,,once their F-4E comes out,,or once someone else releases a new tooling to compete for the sales dollars.

(exact same thing happened to Academy when the Z-M kit came out, only then did people accept that there were problems with the Academy kit)

When is the E coming out?

5 hours ago, B.Sin said:

When is the E coming out?

Some time next year I guess, there's no release date yet. The Ki-45 is next.

The fuselage set is temporarily sold out, thank you very much for your orders!! I should have some more available by next weekend.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK