Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
JeffreyK

Phantom fuselage correction set for ZM kits released

Recommended Posts

Guys,

 

a few days ago I've released my latest product, a correction set for the Zoukei Mura Phantom kits. It rectifies the shape error  in the aft fuselage parts, at the engine "shoulders".

As you can see, this is not a "drop fit" set - cutting of the fuselage is required as well as some sanding and blending to integrate the replacement parts seamlessly. I do provide self adhesive guide strips though that will give you the precise cutting line, based on existing kit panel lines as well as thorough instructions.

I think the Zoukei Mura Phantoms are great kits, probably the best available but the shape problem is there and I wanted to fix it. Whether you care about the shape error or not, whether you think it's worth correcting or not or whether you don't really care for ZM's Phantoms altogether is totally up to you. Decide with your wallet. 😎

 

DSC_0953a.jpg

 The set installed, after blending and primer:

DSC_0943a.jpg

DSC_0945a.jpg

Refined surface detail at the chaff/flare bucket door:

DSC_0947a.jpg

 

DSC_0956a.jpg

DSC_0960a.jpg

 

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Z-M will take the hint before they finish tooling their F-4E. That's the one I'm waiting for. If not, these look like they will do nicely. Nice set Jeffrey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've ordered my correction set a few hours ago. 

thank you again Jeffrey for your great work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Jeffrey, I heard about you working on this before but just wow. That's some small piece of artwork there to get that correct. Looks very nice indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"They said they re-measured and reworked the area for the long-nose Phantoms...Let's see."

 

And if they do re-work it,,,,,,,,that means that even they have agreed that the shape is off.

 

This is one of those things that will show up as extremely obvious to all online writers,,,,,once their F-4E comes out,,or once someone else releases a new tooling to compete for the sales dollars.

 

(exact same thing happened to Academy when the Z-M kit came out, only then did people accept that there were problems with the Academy kit)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeffrey,

 

I don't have the ZM kit, but that's some amazing work!

Bravo! :worship:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s like like the rest of his stuff, the quality will be impeccable.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for his SR-71 kit. You know it is going to be excellent. Of course, I don't know where I would but such a monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the difference in the carefully-composed photo above showing the original and corrected contours, but... it just doesn’t make me nuts like it clearly does others! It takes a lot of work for me to look past all of the great detail and see that subtle thing. I have a Z-M F-4D and F-4J in the works, and am getting nothing but enjoyment out of the process.

 

I hope they don’t rework the contours for the F-4E, so I can watch the wailing here! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrew.deboer said:

I hope they don’t rework the contours for the F-4E, so I can watch the wailing here! 

My bank account agrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrew.deboer said:

I can see the difference in the carefully-composed photo above showing the original and corrected contours, but... it just doesn’t make me nuts like it clearly does others! It takes a lot of work for me to look past all of the great detail and see that subtle thing. I have a Z-M F-4D and F-4J in the works, and am getting nothing but enjoyment out of the process.

 

I hope they don’t rework the contours for the F-4E, so I can watch the wailing here! 

 

I'm not interested in a C/D or J/S Phantom, but if I was, I'd definitely get the Z-M one(s), even with the rear fuselage problem. It isn't THAT big a deal, though now that Jeffrey's correction is out, I'd probably get it just cause.

I will get the E when it comes out. Correction or no. Actually, I am hoping they will release and EJ Kai or have that as an option in the E kit. Again, I would probably add the correction, just so I could say to myself it is accurate, or not, if I think it too much work. One thing I won't do is deny that there is an issue, but they are d%#m fine kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeffery that is sure some beautiful work. I think the rear shot is the most dramatic to show the difference.

 

At the moment I do not have the ZM kit as I have stacks of various other manufacturers and adding to the pile now seems redundant even though the ZM kit has been said to be the best. No matter it is great that you have done this and I am sure the modelling world is very thankful for that.

 

I also see that your site is back up now so I think it is time to pick up some of your sets that I have been putting off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What bothers me is that after the fix is in, the rivit counters will hunt up something else. In other words a catch twenty two situation. The parts look very nice, and are some of the best I've seen for the Phantom

Glt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful work Jeffery! The picture from the rear captures the difference quite nicely. I'm not a big Phantom nut, so it doesn't bother me all that much. Heck, I still like the Monogram kit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Heck, I still like the Monogram kit!

 

Face it Darren, you're an incurable Monogramphile. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But, Gary,,,,,,isn't that the hobby?

Get the cockpit right, get the airframe right, buy or create the best exhausts that we can.

 

Then add details to the landing gear, get the best pylons, tanks and weapons that we can find.

 

Then apply the best aftermarket decals that we can get for the scheme that we want.

 

The alternative is 457 builds of the exact same markings that come in the box for any given model,,,,,,with no mods that stand out from each other's builds, all with OOB weapons and tanks.

 

I really "don't get" updating the cockpit and exhaust and landing gear,,,,,but, not fixing (or even admitting) any shape errors in the model kit that we start with in our builds.

 

The Z-M Phantom is such a good kit of an F-4, but, add that one little fix, and it could be called the best possible model when it is finished.

 

 

 

Edited by Rex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great, Jeffrey! Any word on when we can expect a canopy set, like the ones you make for the Hasegawa and Academy kits? I think that's probably the one remaining unaddressed issue with the kit. 

 

Cheers!

 

Ben

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rex said:

But, Gary,,,,,,isn't that the hobby?

Get the cockpit right, get the airframe right, buy or create the best exhausts that we can.

 

Then add details to the landing gear, get the best pylons, tanks and weapons that we can find.

 

Then apply the best aftermarket decals that we can get for the scheme that we want.

 

The alternative is 457 builds of the exact same markings that come in the box for any given model,,,,,,with no mods that stand out from each other's builds, all with OOB weapons and tanks.

 

I really "don't get" updating the cockpit and exhaust and landing gear,,,,,but, not fixing (or even admitting) any shape errors in the model kit that we start with in our builds.

 

The Z-M Phantom is such a good kit of an F-4, but, add that one little fix, and it could be called the best possible model when it is finished.

 

 

 

Now right up front I liked the ZM kit right out of the box. The detail set will only make it better. I may buy four sets, as I'm going to get the D kit to go along with my two C kits. I would also like to do an E. Yet I find myself setting on several sets of Impact decals for Marine units.

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Looks great, Jeffrey! Any word on when we can expect a canopy set, like the ones you make for the Hasegawa and Academy kits? I think that's probably the one remaining unaddressed issue with the kit. 

 

Cheers!

 

Ben

 

Cheers Ben,

 

this is the next item on my list, after I have somehow won the battle to get the new Skywarrior and Canberra canopies ready and released (they're fighting back at the moment...), hopefully by the end of the year, maybe Telford.

Initial investigations revealed that Zoukei Mura haven't made it easy to fit a canopy insert by moulding some kind of internal structure under the front canopy that's kind of half way between nothing and what should be there. It's impossible to make a resin piece that's thin enough to fit over this so unfortunately the modeller will have to sand this away. I'm considering to supply a masking strip that will protect the canopy while doing this....

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 5:33 PM, Rex said:

"They said they re-measured and reworked the area for the long-nose Phantoms...Let's see."

 

And if they do re-work it,,,,,,,,that means that even they have agreed that the shape is off.

 

This is one of those things that will show up as extremely obvious to all online writers,,,,,once their F-4E comes out,,or once someone else releases a new tooling to compete for the sales dollars.

 

(exact same thing happened to Academy when the Z-M kit came out, only then did people accept that there were problems with the Academy kit)

When is the E coming out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B.Sin said:

When is the E coming out?

 Some time next year I guess, there's no release date yet. The Ki-45 is next.

 

 

The fuselage set is temporarily sold out, thank you very much for your orders!! I should have some more available by next weekend.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...