Early B-52G/H radome

2 hours ago, serendip said:

It's coming together Nigel - looks good.

What materials do you use to sculp your nose?

As said I'd welcome a '48th nose.

Marc.

Hi Marc, 

Thanks for your input. I am beginning to realise why there are so many issues with these noses. The profile looks different from every angle and direction of sunlight plays a big part. Have you noticed how some photos make the chines invisible yet others make the look like caverns!! 

The 1/48 will happen I’m sure, it’s just too tempting to not play with.. but.. would you still want to retain all the radar nav area detail?  

22 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

Hi Marc, 

Thanks for your input. I am beginning to realise why there are so many issues with these noses. The profile looks different from every angle and direction of sunlight plays a big part. Have you noticed how some photos make the chines invisible yet others make the look like caverns!! 

The 1/48 will happen I’m sure, it’s just too tempting to not play with.. but.. would you still want to retain all the radar nav area detail?  

Yeah Nigel,

Amongst others I have noticed the elusive shape of the chines. 

Not sure what you mean with the radar nav detail but what I listed a week or so back applies to Phase VI and above only so no, I would not retain that - but I may be misunderstanding you.

I might take a shot at molding the pre Phase VI nose myself (in 1/48).

I'm curious what materials you use to model and mould your noses in.

Thanks,

Marc.

Yeah Marc, you misunderstood me. I meant the lower deck where the Nav Radar guys sit. 

I use lumps of resin, car body filler and primers. Once I have the rough shape I make a mould so I can finalise the shape in one medium. 

the downstairs section is commonly referred to as the "Offensive Station", the rear upper deck is "Defensive" and the front id the flight deck...

Will bring us all up to the same vernacular

1 minute ago, Winnie said:

the downstairs section is commonly referred to as the "Offensive Station", the rear upper deck is "Defensive" and the front id the flight deck...

Will bring us all up to the same vernacular

Thanks buddy,

I could learn something from you every day!!

All done.. a sample has been sent to someone to try out.. they will show their work here if it works out OK? The moulding flange will be snapped off, leaving a 30 thou wide line to sand off.

Once that is done I'll sell em to any interested parties. So, just late MC and early /late Italeri to do now...

IMG_8914s.jpg

IMG_8915s.jpg

Edited by Nigelr32

Yeah Marc, you misunderstood me. I meant the lower deck where the Nav Radar guys sit. 

I use lumps of resin, car body filler and primers. Once I have the rough shape I make a mould so I can finalise the shape in one medium. 

What I used to do was apply latex to the original part (the nose in this case), build up several layers, pour in plaster of Paris, to sand it to the correct basis shape 'cos it's so easy to work with, apply latex to the plaster of Paris master when you're happy with it and then pour resin into that mould. Works pretty well - in theory anyway.

Just now, serendip said:

What I used to do was apply latex to the original part (the nose in this case), build up several layers, pour in plaster of Paris, to sand it to the correct basis shape 'cos it's so easy to work with, apply latex to the plaster of Paris master when you're happy with it and then pour resin into that mould. Works pretty well - in theory anyway.

It does always need tweaking and correcting the basic shape but plaster is a fast way to get the basics right, I find.

50 minutes ago, serendip said:

Brilliant idea!!

i like to make life hard for myself!! 

I might give this a try myself. I'm not confidant I have all the shape data I need, cross sectional wise especially, but back shaping from Phase VI to pre Phase VI should be a lot easier than vica versa - one would think.

Marc.

You could just buy one of mine??

having all the correct cross-sectional data would be great, but, if your kit is wrong all the way down the fuselage what then?? You could make the best rendition of an early radome, but it won’t fit your model!! 

just my 2cents. 

Edited by Nigelr32

You could just buy one of mine??

having all the correct cross-sectional data would be great, but, if your kit is wrong all the way down the fuselage what then?? You could make the best rendition of an early radome, but it won’t fit your model!! 

just my 2cents. 

Agreed Nige, but mine's the HPH 1/48 B-52, which I'm planning to backdate to early H.

I'm guessing you're refering to the MC 1/72nd?

42 minutes ago, serendip said:

Agreed Nige, but mine's the HPH 1/48 B-52, which I'm planning to backdate to early H.

I'm guessing you're refering to the MC 1/72nd?

I am referring to the 1/72 kits yes.. however, I may make a early nose for the 1/48 kit? I’m not sure how much demand there would be though?? 

20 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

I am referring to the 1/72 kits yes.. however, I may make a early nose for the 1/48 kit? I’m not sure how much demand there would be though?? 

Yes you mentioned the 1/48 nose. I would guess not much of a market. I think HPH planned to build 1000 and I doubt they sold close to that (I was number 44 in January).

If however you threw in z couple of Hounddogs, modified pylons for them, a nice decal sheet and maybe the rear cannon who knows what might happen 🙂

Marc.