Early B-52G/H radome

14 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I think that the nose begins to taper almost from where the shadow hits the camo in photo #2, sorta like the sun hitting the highest point on a face, the cheek bone, then it tapers down.

Yep. Agree 100%. 
My resin nose reflects that. You just need look at a D and the go from there. 

I am not sure how you would measure it, but there is a circular vent between the R and the C in photo one, that can be seen in the second photo as well. If nothing else it gives a sense as to where the original radome and the late radome sit.

20 hours ago, MarkN said:

I am not sure how you would measure it, but there is a circular vent between the R and the C in photo one, that can be seen in the second photo as well. If nothing else it gives a sense as to where the original radome and the late radome sit.

Yep, that's a circular vent of some type. Not sure what that has to do with the radome as that vent is clearly on the fuselage and has absolutely nothing to do with the shape of the nose.

2 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

I have a guy on You Tube who assured me there are EVS equipped airframes but still have the shorter radome? 

I thought this thread had proved that not to be the case? 

I don’t think that guy is correct.

6 hours ago, SteveV22FE said:

Yep, that's a circular vent of some type. Not sure what that has to do with the radome as that vent is clearly on the fuselage and has absolutely nothing to do with the shape of the nose.

It could be used a reference point if you were trying to determine if the revised radome was installed along the same panel lines as the original radome, or if the entire nose was modified for the new radome.

12 hours ago, Corey said:

I don’t think that guy is correct.

4 hours ago, serendip said:

I've never seen pictures of EVS equipped '52's with the old radome.

Thanks.

If he continues to argue I'll link him to this thread.

There's one photo on pg48 of the 1975 version of the B-52 Squadron in Action book of a newly-modified EVS B-52, but prior to the ECM additions to the forward fuselage & radome.  Perhaps that's what he's thinking of.  That's the only photo I've ever seen of that configuration, so I wonder if it was a mid-mod photo and not a configuration seen in the field.  

And for what it's worth, the antenna fairing on top of the radome is no longer present on today's H fleet...I believe that to be yet another new radome, as opposed to a modification.

https://theaviationist.com/2019/11/11/b-52h-bomber-engine-emits-sparks-in-remarkable-photo-with-miraculous-timing/

https://www.afcent.af.mil/Units/379th-Air-Expeditionary-Wing/News/Display/Article/2137459/20-ebs-wraps-up-deployment-to-auab-diego-garcia/

Nigel, your replacement castings look very nice!

Chris

Edited by Gator52
On 8/8/2020 at 3:00 PM, Nigelr32 said:

I have a guy on You Tube who assured me there are EVS equipped airframes but still have the shorter radome? 

I thought this thread had proved that not to be the case? 

This depends on your definition of "shorter radome."  Excluding any one-off mods, there are a total of four basic B-52 nose "types."

1) Original "blunt nose" (B-52A-F): Slope of upper nose follows the same plane as the windscreen

2) Early G/H nose "as built": Extended forward section compared to blunt nose, with change in angle below the windscreen and small "chines" either side, just forward of the NACA intakes

3) EVS update G/H (circa mid-70s to early 80s): Early G/H modified with addition of EVS (Electroptical Viewing System) in paired chin turrets (FLIR and LLLTV). The joint line of the chin radome was moved forward as part of this mod to allow for the EVS supporting structure, but (aside for the EVS fairings) the overall length and contours of the nose did not change.

4) Phase VI Upgrade G/H (circa late 70s to mid-80s): Phase VI was a comprehensive update to ECM systems throughout the airframe, affecting numerous antennae (not described fully here). The nose forward of the windscreen was extended, with corresponding increase in the chine length. A wedge-shaped antenna was added on top of the extended nose for the ALQ-155 jamming system.  Extended nose section features new "lightning strips" not on early G/H.  Lateral antennae also added either side of the forward fuselage just aft of the NACA intakes for ALQ-172.

The removal of the ALQ-155 antenna (top of nose below the windscreen) seems to be a very recent change to the remaining B-52 fleet (Hs only, Gs retired by 1994).I don't have details on the timeframe for this revision, but it is most likely associated with upgrades to the ALQ-155 from analog to digital electronics that was in progress circa 2010. All indications are the rest of the radome has not changed.

30 minutes ago, Quixote74 said:

This depends on your definition of "shorter radome."  Excluding any one-off mods, there are a total of four basic B-52 nose "types."

1) Original "blunt nose" (B-52A-F): Slope of upper nose follows the same plane as the windscreen

2) Early G/H nose "as built": Extended forward section compared to blunt nose, with change in angle below the windscreen and small "chines" either side, just forward of the NACA intakes

3) EVS update G/H (circa mid-70s to early 80s): Early G/H modified with addition of EVS (Electroptical Viewing System) in paired chin turrets (FLIR and LLLTV). The joint line of the chin radome was moved forward as part of this mod to allow for the EVS supporting structure, but (aside for the EVS fairings) the overall length and contours of the nose did not change.

4) Phase VI Upgrade G/H (circa late 70s to mid-80s): Phase VI was a comprehensive update to ECM systems throughout the airframe, affecting numerous antennae (not described fully here). The nose forward of the windscreen was extended, with corresponding increase in the chine length. A wedge-shaped antenna was added on top of the extended nose for the ALQ-155 jamming system.  Extended nose section features new "lightning strips" not on early G/H.  Lateral antennae also added either side of the forward fuselage just aft of the NACA intakes for ALQ-172.

The removal of the ALQ-155 antenna (top of nose below the windscreen) seems to be a very recent change to the remaining B-52 fleet (Hs only, Gs retired by 1994).I don't have details on the timeframe for this revision, but it is most likely associated with upgrades to the ALQ-155 from analog to digital electronics that was in progress circa 2010. All indications are the rest of the radome has not changed.

can you post photos of #3? 

43 minutes ago, Corey said:

can you post photos of #3? 

32 minutes ago, Nigelr32 said:

+1

Last image in post #6 of this thread shows the EVS/pre-Phase VI configuration.  Photos of this setup seem to be fairly rare, presumably because Phase VI was rolled out not long after the EVS updates.

http://http//www.arcforums/com/air/index.php?/topic/313374-nose-contour-differences-b-52-gh-pre-and-post-evs/&do=findComment&comment=3008897

3 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Did AMT model the different shape nose of their kits? 

I believe @Nigelr32 has established definitively that the AMT "early G" nose is too long, using  length and contours  that are the same as their ALCM G and H kits, minus the EVS and Phase VI add-ons.

30 minutes ago, Quixote74 said:

Last image in post #6 of this thread shows the EVS/pre-Phase VI configuration.  Photos of this setup seem to be fairly rare, presumably because Phase VI was rolled out not long after the EVS updates.

http://http//www.arcforums/com/air/index.php?/topic/313374-nose-contour-differences-b-52-gh-pre-and-post-evs/&do=findComment&comment=3008897

Although this is only a rendering it shows it pretty well. I literally had no idea, I thought structural changes for EVS dictated the radome shape. 

uFfikI.jpg

Gl3wiw.jpg

1 minute ago, Hooker169 said:

Although this is only a rendering it shows it pretty well. I literally had no idea, I thought structural changes for EVS dictated the radome shape. 

uFfikI.jpg

Gl3wiw.jpg

Where did that rendering come from?  I wonder what refs that artist used?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking Nigel’s work, I’m totally onboard with his work and definitely ordering a couple of his noses.

It’s just that I’m interested in all these variations which we all seem to be discovering on a nightly basis it seems.

Its interesting to see that those renderings above do not show the clear split line of the late radome brought forward to enable the camera support structure to be inserted. 

Could it be the case that this was mocked up to see if the cameras and their pods had a detrimental effect on the flying characteristics of the aircraft?