Proposal for Steve Bamford.........

I'm all for giving people a second chance (except that "talk like a pirate guy") and do miss some of the previously banned members, including Jennings.

I'm sure there are exceptions depending on how egregious the reason for their banning was.

:cheers:

49 minutes ago, RCAFFAN said:

Yes....it will never be long enough for "talk like a pirate guy"..........:cheers:

LOL...   I forgot all about him!   He was awesome.   Should we start a separate thread to petition for his readmission to the fold or can we use this thread as the vehicle?    What do you think mateys? 

On 9/24/2018 at 10:15 PM, 11bee said:

In case anyone hadn’t noticed, ARC seems to be dying a slow death these days.   Most of the regulars have left entirely or only post a few times per month. 

I think Facebook may be a reason for the decline too. There are several good model related FB pages (including ARCs!!!) out there, and being able to scroll through multiple along you're "newsfeed" is wicked convenient. That' what I find myself doing mostly anyway.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

LOL...   I forgot all about him!   He was awesome.   Should we start a separate thread to petition for his readmission to the fold or can we use this thread as the vehicle?    What do you think mateys? 

"Awesome"??? We can't possibly be talking about the same pirate guy. The one I'm referring to is/was a troll and easily the most annoying "character" I've encountered since Al Gore created the internet.

1 hour ago, Zactoman said:

"Awesome"??? We can't possibly be talking about the same pirate guy. The one I'm referring to is/was a troll and easily the most annoying "character" I've encountered since Al Gore created the internet.

Awesome in that he was an “individual”. He never got under my skin but I see how he could have rubbed folks the wrong way.    

There were a lot of great and not so great people who passed through this forum. I like the Facebook groups, but I kind of wish we could go back to the hey day of this forum, 10-15 years ago. 

This place is only as good as its memberahip.

I do wonder what it would take?

3 hours ago, RKic said:

There were a lot of great and not so great people who passed through this forum. I like the Facebook groups, but I kind of wish we could go back to the hey day of this forum, 10-15 years ago. 

This place is only as good as its memberahip.

I do wonder what it would take?

I ponder that myself.  FB groups have altered the internet and disrupted the flow of info on discussion forums.  The funny thing is that FB groups are an instant sort of thing and they are great for that...but they are really bad for finding things from a few weeks or months ago.

Here is the issue.  There are trolls or annoying or abrasive characters that are tiring for the general membership.  I get complaints all the time about this member or that member really pissing people off.  People tell me they don't post on ARC because they grew tired of another member and his annoying character....always having to be right....always wanting the last word etc.  So people grow tired of a few problem members and the good members begin to avoid the ARC forums.

So the abrasive members get banned to try to solve the problem.  Then you get other members trying to bring back members that were driving away other members...and some of these banned members were even outright trolls.

2 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

I know some have brought this up before but can I also humbly suggest consolidating some of the quieter subforums?

It can't hurt and may be worth a try.

-co

But if you hit the "Unread content" button....it brings up all the new content from all the smaller sub forums.  I seriously doubt many people know about the "unread content" button and still sift through all the tiny sub forums.

I don't think everyone uses that button. I used to use it a lot but now that I mainly use a mobile device for reading the forum I've kinda stopped (at first I didn't recognise the right button...). My bad of course, but I'm sure many people want to do it "manually". Just scroll down and find the subjects they like and which wake up their interest. Get a better feel of the forums as a whole.

Although the unread content button is a good thing (saves time etc.) I do feel the forum is a bit dispersed and getting it tighter can't hurt.

I've been here many years and gotten into several arguments, especially when I was a freshman. I don't think I've ever personally insulted anyone nor has anyone ever insulted me. The discussions might have been quite heated sometimes but I would never have banned anybody because of that (and yes, I'm not a moderator of this forum so what do I know)³. I've never taken anything personally and could start a new conversation about a new subject with my opponent anytime without any animosities. It's hard to believe there are grown up people here who can not.

8 hours ago, SBARC said:

Here is the issue.  There are trolls or annoying or abrasive characters that are tiring for the general membership.  I get complaints all the time about this member or that member really pissing people off.  People tell me they don't post on ARC because they grew tired of another member and his annoying character....always having to be right....always wanting the last word etc.  So people grow tired of a few problem members and the good members begin to avoid the ARC forums.

So the abrasive members get banned to try to solve the problem.  Then you get other members trying to bring back members that were driving away other members...and some of these banned members were even outright trolls.

Sorry Steve, I understand what you're saying and get that. But in my humble opinion the abrasive personality isn't the real problem. After all, it takes 2 to tango. I still stand by my believe that a good number of people that don't frequent as much as they use to is more to do with the banning of people (and thoughts) than it is to do with the issues they had with those that were banned. I totally could be wrong about that and if I am then obviously you'd know what's best to keep your site running. BUT those that would leave because of a brash personality I feel would leave for many more reasons than that because they are probably whiny. Those are the ones that if they have someone disagree with them then that is the end of the world and they can't just walk away from the argument and someone must pay. Obviously there are lines that can be crossed that SHOULD lead to banning, like threats of violence, vulgar language that's agreed upon rules etc.... but simply being hard headed and possibly wrong most of the time is not where that line should be, again IMHO. I've seen people pile on top of others simply over an argument about whether the Chinese model kit makers can produce good quality or not. Seems like a normal business type discussion that can have a huge variety of opinions and inputs about it. But sometimes just having that conversation is so toxic that those that voice opinions are slammed and eventually likely banned. It just seems like anything that is in any way controversial, even if it's model related, then the kid gloves come on and one side can't handle the thoughts of the other side and cry until someone is removed. I don't personally agree with this tactic and I feel THAT is what causes those to be more reluctant to post anything other than "good job on that build" or "check out this work" kinds of post and less and less with any kinds of post with real helpful or interesting subject matters. but again, it's your site. You run it how you feel appropriate.

Bill

29 minutes ago, niart17 said:

I still stand by my believe that a good number of people that don't frequent as much as they use to is more to do with the banning of people (and thoughts) than it is to do with the issues they had with those that were banned. 

BUT those that would leave because of a brash personality I feel would leave for many more reasons than that because they are probably whiny. Those are the ones that if they have someone disagree with them then that is the end of the world and they can't just walk away from the argument and someone must pay. 

This is exactly how I feel. 

It's getting quieter all the time and I don't like it. I'm in a couple of FB groups which have had some very good builds but I've stayed in the background and haven't really contributed nothing.

I think a forum like this works better and in a way I've always felt some kind of loaylty towards this particular forum - even so that I have absolutely no need to take part in our local Finnish language forums. I rather hang out with an international crew like ARC. It's the place I started from and it's the place I've learned a lot from. I've found some real friends from ARC too. 

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Sorry Steve, I understand what you're saying and get that. But in my humble opinion the abrasive personality isn't the real problem. After all, it takes 2 to tango. I still stand by my believe that a good number of people that don't frequent as much as they use to is more to do with the banning of people (and thoughts) than it is to do with the issues they had with those that were banned. I totally could be wrong about that and if I am then obviously you'd know what's best to keep your site running. BUT those that would leave because of a brash personality I feel would leave for many more reasons than that because they are probably whiny. Those are the ones that if they have someone disagree with them then that is the end of the world and they can't just walk away from the argument and someone must pay. Obviously there are lines that can be crossed that SHOULD lead to banning, like threats of violence, vulgar language that's agreed upon rules etc.... but simply being hard headed and possibly wrong most of the time is not where that line should be, again IMHO. I've seen people pile on top of others simply over an argument about whether the Chinese model kit makers can produce good quality or not. Seems like a normal business type discussion that can have a huge variety of opinions and inputs about it. But sometimes just having that conversation is so toxic that those that voice opinions are slammed and eventually likely banned. It just seems like anything that is in any way controversial, even if it's model related, then the kid gloves come on and one side can't handle the thoughts of the other side and cry until someone is removed. I don't personally agree with this tactic and I feel THAT is what causes those to be more reluctant to post anything other than "good job on that build" or "check out this work" kinds of post and less and less with any kinds of post with real helpful or interesting subject matters. but again, it's your site. You run it how you feel appropriate.

Bill

I think you're spot on.

I left the forums back in 2010, recently came back since I thought I could contribute since I'm one of the few who has hands on experience with a popular subject. However, I have had a few run in with long time members here and with the thought of being banned for simply disagreeing with someone keeps me from posting most of the time. In fact, I'm surprised I haven't been reported and banned by now since one of the members sent me a PM complaining how much of a d*$k I am when I told him no uncertain terms he was wrong.

Banning someone just because they hurt someone's feeling isn't right in my book, just my opinion.

I am sorry, but this particular person is so venal and abrasive that his existence just sucked up all the enjoyment I was getting from reading and participating in the forums. I am pretty sure I am not alone in feeling this way,  but many folks are staying silent for the sake of "being nice".

I seriously wonder if he would have given you even 1/1000th of the tolerance and goodwill you seem to harbor toward him.

5 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I think you're spot on.

I left the forums back in 2010, recently came back since I thought I could contribute since I'm one of the few who has hands on experience with a popular subject. However, I have had a few run in with long time members here and with the thought of being banned for simply disagreeing with someone keeps me from posting most of the time. In fact, I'm surprised I haven't been reported and banned by now since one of the members sent me a PM complaining how much of a d*$k I am when I told him no uncertain terms he was wrong.

Banning someone just because they hurt someone's feeling isn't right in my book, just my opinion.

Can't believe someone is that sensitive and thin skinned that they'd PM you over a silly disagreement on a modeling forum.   Just mindblowing...  But then again, I'd never had thought that someone could be so sensitive and thin skinned that they'd condone / request banning someone over that person being "snotty".  Good god, I've had a few "heated" debates with some folks who I found to be aggravating but I'd never once consider running to the mods and asking them to ban the guy.   If they really start to get annoying, I just ignore their posts.   Pretty simple concept, no?

th?id=OIP.wSQ-CycGxIbrE6qkquIIVwHaFj&w=1

The sad thing is, when we are talking about ARC fading away - this has been the most active thread in the last few days. 

5 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Good god, I've had a few "heated" debates with some folks who I found to be aggravating but I'd never once consider running to the mods and asking them to ban the guy.   

This.

33 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Here's my take, if you finds someone who is aggravating/annoying, just put them on ignore, this site still has the ignore function right?

Go invent an artificial intelligence-based "ignore" function that completely erases the  spill-over effects of this excuse of a person on every thread he will post  (and make no mistake, he WILL post on every thread); and not only will I be the first person to use it, I will *pay* you for using it. Make sure your "ignore" function not only removes his posts and threads, but also:

-threads he completely sabotages after finding 10+ "grave errors" in every new kit that has just been announced, and not even released.

-threads where he liberally insults people left & right by calling their models "toys"

-threads where he insults entire ethnic groups and countries by skillfully concealing it as "aviation news"

-threads where he continues a 20+ yr old blood feud with the owner of a now-defunct accessory company

-threads where he feels the need to bring politics into the discussion

Why the f* do I have to use a lame, barely functioning "ignore" button simply because you want to be entertained by his insults and the arguments he starts? Do you sincerely think your entertainment is worth alienating many others, including myself who participated in and supported this forum for almost 20 years?   Why should the burden of avoiding this person fall on our shoulders? The kind of "entertainment" you guys seem to be after is available on tap at many other fine locations on the Internet.

Continuing this discussion and fanning the flames only keeps driving a wedge among us further.   

Edited by KursadA