Proposal for Steve Bamford.........

7 minutes ago, KursadA said:

-threads he completely sabotages after finding 10+ "grave errors" in every new kit that has just been announced, and not even released.

You'd prefer potential errors only pointed out AFTER the kit is released and it's too late to possibly help fix those? Seems to be counter-intuitive to a discussion about a kit in the works IF there is time to possibly make it better BEFORE it's released. But hey, to each his own I suppose.

18 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Go invent an artificial intelligence-based "ignore" function that completely erases the  spill-over effects of this excuse of a person on every thread he will post  (and make no mistake, he WILL post on every thread); and not only will I be the first person to use it, I will *pay* you for using it. Make sure your "ignore" function not only removes his posts and threads, but also:

-threads he completely sabotages after finding 10+ "grave errors" in every new kit that has just been announced, and not even released.

-threads where he liberally insults people left & right by calling their models "toys"

-threads where he insults entire ethnic groups and countries by skillfully concealing it as "aviation news"

-threads where he continues a 20+ yr old blood feud with the owner of a now-defunct accessory company

-threads where he feels the need to bring politics into the discussion

Why the f* do I have to use a lame, barely functioning "ignore" button simply because you want to be entertained by his insults and the arguments he starts? Do you sincerely think your entertainment is worth alienating many others, including myself who participated in and supported this forum for almost 20 years?   Why should the burden of avoiding this person fall on our shoulders? The kind of "entertainment" you guys seem to be after is available on tap at many other fine locations on the Internet.

Continuing this discussion and fanning the flames only keeps driving a wedge among us further.   

I think you are missing my point entirely, I'm not advocating for Jennings to be re-instated, I'm saying that if you are willing to ban someone simply because you find them annoying means you have a problem also.

You stated that Jennings's interjected politics into threads, ARC's main rule is .........No Politics, that right there is grounds for banning. The other things you listed are all personal perspective and opinion.

You also have to think of this, you are not the only member here, just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they have to be banned. Just because you've been here for 20+ years doesn't mean your opinion carries more weight than anyone else's, we all have a right to our opinion and each one carries the same amount of weight.

As they say, it takes two to tango, don't want a thread ruined, don't engage the idiot, i.e., don't feed the troll, simply philosophy if you ask me. After a while the person will get the message and will stop posting since he isn't getting the one thing he has come here for, attention.

Edited by GW8345

28 minutes ago, niart17 said:

You'd prefer potential errors only pointed out AFTER the kit is released and it's too late to possibly help fix those? 

Of course not. We are all interested in finding out about new kits and accessories; and perhaps helping fix them.

But there are many people here who can do this very skillfully and tastefully; without using their criticism as a delivery vehicle for racially-charged hate and insult toward a particular country or people. Not sure how I can be more explicit. 

I have a business to run, and quite honestly am getting tired of the discussion. I think I made my position clear, and I hope others will also raise their voice. 

Edited by KursadA

The Ignore function doesn't actually work on forums.

If I decide to "have a go" at Gerry and two of you have me on ignore because  of that,,,,,,you would still see half or more of my posts anyway.

That is because of the Quote feature.

Or the answers in outrage that follow my ignored post by you that says "how dare you say that about Norwegians?",,,,,,when you don't even know what  I did say in the blocked post about my ancestors. 

This is just me,,,,,,,but, if I got banned here,,,,,,and a couple of years went by,,,,,,,,I wouldn't even think that I might get re-instated,,,,,,I am pretty sure by now that "my Spots" are permanent at my age,,,,,,,don't think they'd change too much in 2 or 3 years.

(crap, I'm still using "comma style typing from Chat room usage",,,,,,,,more than ten years after typing actively in any Chat rooms)

When you're repeatedly asked by the admins to tone down or cease specific behaviour over a decent period of time, and you refuse to even answer them, you're showing a flagrant disregard for any attempt to keep the site within the boundaries that have existed on it pretty much since day one. Favouring the antics of any individual merely because they have copious amounts of information at the expense of the people they drive off isn't in the interest of keeping a particular site running, except possibly as a fan club for certain people and their fans.
Facebook has changed how the sharing of information happens online. It also is a great forum for rage quits, Drama Llama events, Fan Boi attacks, and Echo Chambers. It's instant gratification and whether we want to admit it or not, that's the direction the majority of people seem to gravitate to. I doubt how this site chooses to conduct it's affairs (which it has for a very long time) is why we now see such a dropoff in postings.
I personally don't miss the semi annual "Snakrfest" events, although they did sometimes give me ideas for model subjects.

Alvis 3.1

As this thread progresses, it's seems to becoming apparent who may be instigated Jennings removal.....

Anyway, a last observation.   If FB is really taking the audience base away from conventional modeling sites, that's a real shame.   FB is the equivalent of a light snack.  There is no real substance.   You can't really have in-depth discussions or builds due to the very nature of it's structure.  It's nice to be able to quickly skim through a very brief post or look at a couple of pictures but that's about it.  ARC and the other sites offer much more. 

And a few suggestionsMaybe in the case of ARC, it's a bit too diversified.   It's an aircraft-centric site so possibly condense the armor, ship and car forums into one for each genre instead of the 6-7 sub-forums we currently have for each.  I'd also suggest merging the two forums for completed builds into a single one.  If people don't want critiques, they can just state that when they post.  Social media has resulted in most folks having short attention spans (myself included) so the simpler the layout, the better (IMO).  

Lastly, don't be so hesitant to lock threads.   Let boys be boys.  A lot of threads that had some very interesting and engaging discussions were locked because of a few rogue posts.   Worst case, if a poster has gone off the rails completely, delete the offending posts (I've used the report function here on ARC and the mods are typically very responsive) but keep the thread alive. This would also apply if the thread happens to drift in the forbidden territory of POLITICS...

Just my humble opinion.  Also in my humble opinion, ARC is still the premier modeling site on the web.

Just one last point then I'll shut up and crawl back into my hole.

Keep in mind, there is no perfect answer, there is no perfect utopia for this situation, nothing will make everyone happy so it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. You just have to work with what you got and make the best of it, it may not be perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing at all.

Ok, let me go crawl back into my hole and make that ignore function that works for 100% everyone and right after that, I'll cure world hunger.

Just to clarify my latest statements, I'm NOT saying anything in regards to a specific banning like Jennings. Jennings and I were probably polar opposites on a great many subjects and I too found him a little abrasive. It wasn't turning me off so much I found the threads miserable and often times I agreed with his sentiment if not his approach. I don't actually know the specifics behind his banning and it may have been perfectly warranted. But I do know that when I see people banned because they are harsh or even down right jerks it makes me look down on those that had them banned more than those that were banned. It makes me much more reluctant to have meaningful conversations and rather just sink in and say ok, whatever. I think one of the biggest benefits have a forum such as this is that there is an exchange of information and ideas. Any kind of meaningful discussion is going to have dispute otherwise it's not very meaningful.

When I was designing some 3D parts for my space shuttle I had an individual bust into my thread and start questioning a lot of things about the parts simply because they worked for a company that also sold similar parts and I'd made a comment about why I didn't want to use their parts and decided to make my own. I thought they were rather being a pompous jerk about it but whatever. I welcomed the discussion because I felt that people could see both sides and weigh them out and make their own opinion about it.

That's what I think has been lacking in the forums lately. Meaningful conversations. Jennings in or Jennings out, whatever. But in general I think the ban tool may be used a little too liberally (not meaning in a political term LOL) in the past and THAT's what turned me off more than anything. Just my 2 cent.

Bill

I was going to stop here, but this is just over the top.  So, like they say over here at Texas, "lemme tell ya what, hoss":

6 hours ago, 11bee said:

As this thread progresses, it's seems to becoming apparent who may be instigated Jennings removal.....

I had nothing to do with it; and simply implying  that any user, regardless of who he or she is, can get a user banned is an affront to all that ARC stands for, and the principles that Steve stood by to keep this site up and running while many others fell by the wayside after internal strife and decline of use. 

The thread is not "progressing", YOU are progressing it with your overt support for someone whose worthless invectives were somehow "entertaining" and whose limited and often outdated knowledge was "enlightening" for you. Unfortunately, many of us found the entertainment and enlightenment to be somewhat short of satisfactory; and we started experiencing an overwhelming feeling of dread before we went ahead and clicked on the link for any thread on a newly announced kit. 

One morning, we fired up our browsers to read the forum, and heard he was banned.  And lo, everything was good with the world. Sure it felt a bit strange to not read posts like "The XXXX <insert your least favorite ethnic group here> do not know how to measure an aircraft in a museum", "The YYYY can never design a decent kit", "This reminds me of a heroic RC-135 mission I flew back in 1986 to take atmospheric samples from Brezhnev's underwear", "Dave Klaus is a dick"   and many of his oh-so-entertaining antics.

But hey, at least the dread was gone.

Edited by KursadA

Every forum I'm on has had a drastic drop off in postings since Facebook arrived. Some have strict rules and twitchy mods, others are pretty loose with the rules, and rarely enforce them. Blaming "banning' as to why this site is experiencing less traffic is simplistic at best. As for it being too liberally used, you may be a tad off base, as there's been far more rage quits than bans here.

36 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I was going to stop here, but this is just over the top.  So, like they say over here at Texas, "lemme tell ya what, hoss":

If I interpreted this jumble of words correctly, it is intended to say "it is becoming apparent who may have instigated ...'s removal". (You might want to brush up on that grammar, it sure must be embarrassing to have a non-native speaker pointing out your mistakes. )  I had nothing to do with it; and simply implying  that any user, regardless of who he or she is, can get a user banned is an affront to all that ARC stands for, and the principles that Steve stood by to keep this site up and running while many others fell by the wayside after internal strife and decline of use. 

The thread is not "progressing", YOU are progressing it with your overt support for someone whose worthless invectives were somehow "entertaining" and whose limited and often outdated knowledge was "enlightening" for you. Unfortunately, many of us found the entertainment and enlightenment somewhat short of satisfactory; and we started experiencing an overwhelming feeling of dread before we went ahead and clicked on the link for any thread on a newly announced kit. 

One morning, we fired up our browsers to read the forum, and heard he was banned.  And lo, everything was good with the world. Sure it felt a bit strange to not read posts like "The XXXX <insert your least favorite ethnic group here> do not know how to measure an aircraft in a museum", "The YYYY can never design a decent kit", "This reminds me of a heroic RC-135 mission I flew back in 1986 to take atmospheric samples from Brezhnev's underwear", "Dave Klaus is a dick"   and many of his oh-so-entertaining antics.

But hey, at least the dread was gone.

You know, I was going to just stay in my hole (still working on that ignore function you want) but something struck me.

Could it be that you wanted Jennings (trust me, I was no fan of his when I was here before) banned is because he was a competitor. I just noticed that you have "Caracal Models" under your screen name and Caracal Models produces decals, just like Jennings.

You seem to be going out of your way to attack people who you perceive to be wanting to bring back Jennings but you are really missing the point of this discussion because you fear him coming back.

Again, I don't see 11bee, niart17 (Bill) or myself advocating for Jennings to come back, just merely pointing out why we think the number of people who post here has dropped over the years. As I said before, I couldn't give a rats arse if he comes back (again, I wasn't a fan of his) but if he was banned just because some members didn't like him what's stops a group of members complaining about you and getting you banned?

And if you feel an "overwhelming feeling of dread" just logging into a modeling website I'd hate to see how you handle day to day life. Honestly dude, you really need to take a chill pill and just put someone who rubs you the wrong way on ignore.

Ok, let me get back to that ignore function you want, I think I figured it out, just need to find some fairy dust and a unicorn, then I should have it.

9 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

You know, I was going to just stay in my hole (still working on that ignore function you want) but something struck me.

Could it be that you wanted Jennings (trust me, I was no fan of his when I was here before) banned is because he was a competitor. I just noticed that you have "Caracal Models" under your screen name and Caracal Models produces decals, just like Jennings.

You seem to be going out of your way to attack people who you perceive to be wanting to bring back Jennings but you are really missing the point of this discussion because you fear him coming back.

Again, I don't see 11bee, niart17 (Bill) or myself advocating for Jennings to come back, just merely pointing out why we think the number of people who post here has dropped over the years. As I said before, I couldn't give a rats arse if he comes back (again, I wasn't a fan of his) but if he was banned just because some members didn't like him what's stops a group of members complaining about you and getting you banned?

And if you feel an "overwhelming feeling of dread" just logging into a modeling website I'd hate to see how you handle day to day life. Honestly dude, you really need to take a chill pill and just put someone who rubs you the wrong way on ignore.

Ok, let me get back to that ignore function you want, I think I figured it out, just need to find some fairy dust and a unicorn, then I should have it.

You appear to not be clear on how getting banned on ARC works. 
Having people not like you doesn't get you banned.
Not following the rules and refusing to change that behaviour is what gets you banned.
You can file as many reports as you want to about an individual, but in the end, if they've not gone over the line in their behaviour, they won't get banned.
it also involves a cabal of black robe wearing acolytes, a fire, three sea shells and a lock of hair of the person to be banned, but Steve says we aren't supposed to talk about that.
Oops.

14 minutes ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

You appear to not be clear on how getting banned on ARC works. 
Having people not like you doesn't get you banned.
Not following the rules and refusing to change that behaviour is what gets you banned.
You can file as many reports as you want to about an individual, but in the end, if they've not gone over the line in their behaviour, they won't get banned.
it also involves a cabal of black robe wearing acolytes, a fire, three sea shells and a lock of hair of the person to be banned, but Steve says we aren't supposed to talk about that.
Oops.

With respect sir, we will agree to disagree.

I remember the "Great Purge of 09".

As yes, fun times. I recall a lot of dramatic exits, and cranky postings.
While we may choose to disagree on how exactly that transpired and whether things changed here because of it, the fact that in the last 10 years massive changes to how people interface on the internet has had a huge effect on many websites, dropping traffic drastically, and a specific site's rules being enforced aren't the reason why it's seeing fewer postings. However, the sensation of picking at scabs is comforting, although rarely productive. Jennings might have agreed on that point actually.

RubinDramaticExit2.jpg

"a lock of hair of the person to be banned"

cool, I just found out that I am "ban-proof", lol

Having met a few others from ARC, there is a group of us in that same plight.

17 minutes ago, Rex said:

"a lock of hair of the person to be banned"

cool, I just found out that I am "ban-proof", lol

Having met a few others from ARC, there is a group of us in that same plight.

He didn't say it had to be from your head so be warned.........

1 hour ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

Oops.

That must be how you managed to ban him at Britmodeller and Hyperscale too.  

Regards,

Murph

ouch, RCAFFAN

now I am going to be nervous every time at the NATS that I hear anyone say "eh?"

(which by the way, is NOT just a Canadian thing,,,,,,we said it all the time in Wisconsin Province, donchaknow)

18 minutes ago, Rex said:

ouch, RCAFFAN

now I am going to be nervous every time at the NATS that I hear anyone say "eh?"

(which by the way, is NOT just a Canadian thing,,,,,,we said it all the time in Wisconsin Province, donchaknow)

Just wear your Banana Brew soaked Mon-keypaw Amulet at all times and it will ward off Alvis and his black hordes.......

Edited by RCAFFAN