Proposal for Steve Bamford.........

I was correcting that as you typed but I guess it works both ways.......(apparently auto correct is not always your friend)

Edited by RCAFFAN

Haha, talk about functions that don't help.

Until Autocorrect can replace a BuNo that I typo on with the one that I actually mean to say,,,,,,,all it does is tick me off.

(yes, you stupid computer "Navair" is really a word,,,,,,,,,STOP underlining it in red squiggles!! )

23 hours ago, RKic said:

There were a lot of great and not so great people who passed through this forum. I like the Facebook groups, but I kind of wish we could go back to the hey day of this forum, 10-15 years ago. 

This place is only as good as its memberahip.

I do wonder what it would take?

Bring back Rusty Shackleford... :clap2:

:cheers:

4 hours ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

As yes, fun times. I recall a lot of dramatic exits, and cranky postings.
While we may choose to disagree on how exactly that transpired and whether things changed here because of it, the fact that in the last 10 years massive changes to how people interface on the internet has had a huge effect on many websites, dropping traffic drastically, and a specific site's rules being enforced aren't the reason why it's seeing fewer postings. However, the sensation of picking at scabs is comforting, although rarely productive. Jennings might have agreed on that point actually.

RubinDramaticExit2.jpg

Ain't it amazing how history can be rewritten.

10 hours ago, GW8345 said:

I think you're spot on.

I left the forums back in 2010, recently came back since I thought I could contribute since I'm one of the few who has hands on experience with a popular subject. However, I have had a few run in with long time members here and with the thought of being banned for simply disagreeing with someone keeps me from posting most of the time. In fact, I'm surprised I haven't been reported and banned by now since one of the members sent me a PM complaining how much of a d*$k I am when I told him no uncertain terms he was wrong.

Banning someone just because they hurt someone's feeling isn't right in my book, just my opinion.

If you feel you've been treated unfairly, please report the situation. Be succinct and indicate who gave you feelings of being potentially persecuted, and the mods will have stern words with them. Stern. Words.
I've gone over your dossier and cannot find any examples of you being tattled on.  If this situation is true, well it reflects poorly on ARC as a whole and whoever made you feel like you can't speak from your extensive knowledge base. You should feel safe to post your information that is factually correct and not worry you'll be bannified for that. AFAIK that is not the standard operating mode. If somebody had registered a legitimate complaint, you would have been notified and requested to refrain from that behaviour. While you may feel that isn't how ARC operates, I can assure you it isn't. The Star Chamber usually takes a good two weeks to convene nowadays, assuming people aren't holidaying.

9 hours ago, GW8345 said:

You know, I was going to just stay in my hole (still working on that ignore function you want) but something struck me.

Could it be that you wanted Jennings (trust me, I was no fan of his when I was here before) banned is because he was a competitor. I just noticed that you have "Caracal Models" under your screen name and Caracal Models produces decals, just like Jennings.

You seem to be going out of your way to attack people who you perceive to be wanting to bring back Jennings but you are really missing the point of this discussion because you fear him coming back.

Sorry to break it to you but KursadA was a million miles away from the decision making process to ban Jennings. 

Banning Jennings was a long time coming and the decision to ban him rested solely with the mods and myself here on ARC.

4 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Bring back Rusty Shackleford... :clap2:

:cheers:

He is a special guy...but chose to leave because he found it difficult to dance within the lines here on ARC.  I greatly enjoyed him as an individual and shared e-mails with him for a time long after he left.  He was a good guy with a  solid heart.

I really need to send him another e-mail and catch up with him.

Like Alvis and others said, the drop-off in traffic* is not due to any bannings. It's the ease of posting on FB. I can upload pics directly from my phone. No third party photoboucket style BS. With phone cameras becoming so good now, I can take a better pic with my phone than with my real camera (I know you DSLR types will not think the same way. Just settle down, I'm talking about myself, only), and with one click its online.  With the rise of FB Groups, and the ability to form one's own blog-style pages which do give you SOME of the archival capability of a forum, it seems forums have to offer something that FB can't.  It isn't going to be ease of communication, or sense of community, as FB's instant communications do that better.  

What do forums have? There is the  archival quality: provided that photo hosting sites don't ruin that with asinine sharing policies. 

What about legacy? A place like ARC (or MM) has been around for a really long time. There are people here whom I have been following since 2005. I've watched them improve and evolve as modelers and as people. I can look back on my own posts and cringe at some of the dumb things I said as a 20-something in 2005, or look at my old work and realize that even though I'm not a great modeler, I'm better than I used to be. I've built friendships here. I've witnessed old friends have kids, and have even learned of the deaths of others. This once again relates back to the forum's archival quality. Maybe this is the place for the old timers to go? I don't know. That could be an angle to play up. 

As for abrasive types, and heated threads: I think they actually increase traffic. As one of you pointed out above, this has been one of the most active ARC posts, in a long while. For every dumb comment made in a heated thread, there are 10 times as many that are thoughtful. And it is thoughtful conversation that attracts traffic. So maybe the mods should let arguments run their course. If somebody is being an absolute jerk, spewing hate and not counter-argument - then by all means ban them, but let the threads run. They're informative, and much of the time, entertaining. Most of us here are adults, and can handle it. 

And the kids - well it's not like they don't know that kind of talk as it is. 

*I don't think the drop-off is universal to all forums. Places like BM are still very active. Maybe the Brits have better retained the attention span necessary for forum posts. 

22 hours ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

It's always easy when you make it up from the beginning.

I would call witnesses but they can't post here.

The truth is the double standards when it came enforcing the rules and banning people while others got away with the same stuff that people got banned for.

That is the reason why a lot of people left this site and haven't come back, if you want to call it "dramatic exiting" when you ban someone that's on you.

I've said my piece and will agree to disagree with your version of history.

Unfortunately people with a tenuous grasp of factual narratives tend to not make great witnesses, and people who post a great teary repose on how mad they are and why they're leaving a site aren't actually banned. That "take a chill pill" advice only seems to work in one direction for some.
And we go back to the OP on this: Does the fan base size of a member dictate whether they get special treatment or not? Does the fact they have a bunch of people who'd either leave or threaten to leave become a factor in whether they have to follow what are really some pretty basic rules: Don't be a dick to others? Does somebody who'd been here 20 years have more right to speak their mind than a noob?

ARC is an organic entity, and has changed over time, and how it handles the more colourful characters has changed as well. We could rehash old conflicts and how they were handled until the cows come home, but it doesn't answer why this site, along with many others are dropping in users. Personally, I blame the Jackal Squadron, but I can't find their island on Google Maps any more Did it sink? Did all those trillions of rivets that made up the atoll finally get counted? Did all the hot air finally ignite Mount Anubis, setting off the ammo in the Tirpitz that was anchored nearby, or did it just slowly fade away into insignificance? 
Curious minds want to know.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:53 PM, SBARC said:

Sorry to break it to you but KursadA was a million miles away from the decision making process to ban Jennings. 

Banning Jennings was a long time coming and the decision to ban him rested solely with the mods and myself here on ARC.

I have no idea who any of the people you are talking about are.  Never met any of them, but I did a search on the name, and I do not see anything that indicated to me that anybody deserved to be banned.  

Seems pretty juvenile to me.

3 minutes ago, Sonoran said:

I have no idea who any of the people you are talking about are.  Never met any of them, but I did a search on the name, and I do not see anything that indicated to me that anybody deserved to be banned.  

Seems pretty juvenile to me.

Well of course not... Did you think that offending posts perhaps may have been deleted?

2 hours ago, terrysumner said:

The feeling I get from this thread is that some members think we ban a lot of people.  Other than someone who joins, then immediately commences to SPAM the heck out of the forums, we haven't banned anyone in a long time....

Then what about certain vendors pimping their product lines? Or shills punking a certain product line to keep their steady stream of freebies?

Gary

10 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Question, what happened to the "Rules of the Road" (aka forum rules), I can't find them anywhere.

This forum program has been stripped down and streamlined over the recent years by the designers.  This makes the program more stable and easier to do security updates on.  But it also means many many cool features are gone....including the rules of the road. 

The rules of the road just disappeared during an update.

I think YouTube has had an effect on traffic.  I first came to the site and forum to understand techniques and I learned a lot. But YouTube allows the technique to be demonstrated in action. 

That is a huge difference 

of course creating the video is many times more difficult and time consuming than posting a few pictures. 

8 hours ago, CorsairMan said:

I think YouTube has had an effect on traffic.

Possibly, but IMO the photobucket debacle had a devastaing effect on virtually all internet forums - not just this one.  Suddenly all those forum-archived images just went poof.  I understand PB may have reversed this policy but so many people deleted their PB accounts in frustration and protest that all that info has been lost, and along with it the usefulness of many many forum threads.

People are still posting image test threads, indicating that many forum users are still not comfortable posting image enhanced threads.

Again, not just ARC, but virtually all forums.