Kind of a lurker here for a while, so I figured it was time to get more involved 😀

I love the aircraft designs from Space Battleship Yamato/Starblazers and have been building stuff from the 2199 series. however, the Black Tiger design morphed into the Cosmo Falcon so it obviously missing from the lineup of 1/72 fighter kits. 

There was an old kit that Bandai made. This is the 1/70 scale version. However it is as basic as basic can be. Nothing like the more detailed 1/100 Ex version that came out later

The appeal here was having a kit close to 1/72 scale

It is a standard glue kit and It sure is a far cry from the engineering they have today.

The parts count not counting landing gear is something like 12 pieces

The body is basically and an upper and lower half for from yellow section and an upper and lower half for the back body and wing section.

Two halves for the big tail fin and 2 small fins for the underside

The cockpit is one piece, with molded in blobs you glue 2 heads onto and absolutely no detail

There are  no panel lines whatsoever beyond scribed lines to be used a guides on where to place the decals

Out of the box, it looks like a kids toy

So, I scratched up some detail for the cockpit.

I didn't go to nuts with it since the wavy glass canopy will obscure most detail anyway, but I at least wanted something that looked more reasonable

I used the extra pilot from a Hasegawa 1/72 FA-19C kit as well as a greenstuff copy I made of a Bandai 1/72 A-Wing pilot

44628437502_601eedddf4_c.jpg

44628442032_3f617e1746_c.jpg

I added some additional details and panel lines

30807109938_6743422aec_c.jpg

43768392645_af78e65b07_c.jpg

At 1/70 scale I think it is close enough to 1/72 to be able to display it with the 1/72 Cosmo Zero and Falcons

44677532351_d02d42b07f_c.jpg

I painted the cockpit and canopy so I could move onto gluing the body halves together and filling the seams

43961624434_ca4fa3db86_c.jpg

43961625514_82289c6b27_c.jpg

Had a big fit problem mating the yellow body part to the black. Hopefully filled and sanded enough to look seamless when I prime it

44838260382_c38347bbeb_c.jpg

Added some details on the rear

29951646837_a4ced655aa_c.jpg

now ready for primer (I think)

43976590975_7c8e51ea46_c.jpg

Edited by blakeh1
clarity

I have always liked the designs of the fighters from Space Battleship Yamato/Starblazers.  The details that you have added look great and if you didn't know that it was another scale you would never know it.  The other two kits that you built look awesome and I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Els

Awesome work Blake!

I also have a vintage Bandai Black Tiger kit that I'm about to start working on. Just need to order some high-vis 1/72nd decals for stencils, warning stripes, etc. 

NWarty (also named Blake) 

thanks guys

For decals, I am hoping that between the Bandai 1/72 Rogue One X-Wing and the other Bandai 1/72 Cosmo Zero and Falcon kits as well as other 1/1000 2199 kits plus the 1/72 FA-18C kit I have there will be enough left over decals left over to cobble together markings for this

I know I have some Cosmo Navy markings as well as tons of "No Step" markings and numeric markings

Plus from the X-wing kit I have some intake warning markers that I did not use since I did Red Leader like the ILM studio model which had none of that stuff

Got a chance to get some painting done

I still have to do some touchup in a few areas as well as paint the underside (white/light grey) 

Also will be adding a little bit of weathering and some decals

but here is where it is at..

44227959925_9135e535f2_c.jpg

44227960515_b7fbc30d68_c.jpg

43326342830_a6d99fbd78_c.jpg

43326348930_b6b669de83_c.jpg

Thanks everyone!

8 hours ago, NWarty said:

Blake,

What color did you use for the yellow? I can never find any yellow that isn't water thin and super skimpy on pigment. I started in on my Tiger last night. 

As far as the Yellow, I used Tamiya paints. I think it is Lemon Yellow (or maybe Flat yellow) mixed with just a little bit Flat Red. (I can confirm the exact yellow color when I get home)

I did add a layer of Tamiya Deck Tan Mixed with Flat White (left over batch from painting my A-Wing) as a base layer over the black primer before I sprayed the yellow

I find if I try spraying yellow directly on a black base coast, it sometimes can take forever to build up enough coats

Even when hand painting gaming miniatures and such I usually try to paint a white, tan or redish-brown layer first before doing yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Using some left over decals I was able to get some marking in it.

I also did some more scribing of panels lines.

Although I think I might have o repaint part of the area in the arrow on the right side of the tail fin and rescribe.

I used a scribing tool to start with, and it left way too wide of a line compared to the rest which I did with an exacto

Should be an easy fix, Basically just brush paint the panel line with thinned down paint, then go back over with the xacto

You can see here where I started then stopped after realizing it was way too thick

30511560517_6d78a9ab5a_c.jpg

44537244445_d5539dcd42_c.jpg

44537245795_a5baca526c_c.jpg

And to get a sense of size compared to a real world jet and the 2199 stuff

1/72 Hasegawa FA-18c Hornet and 1/72 2199 Cosmo Falcon

30511690157_563cb075f4_c.jpg

30511694447_5918d7f9c9_c.jpg

I have one of those waiting to be built.  Considering that these kits were put out in the early 70s at best and were designed to be done by kids, you have done very well.  I also have one of the other types of fighter that have been produced recently and they go together easily.  I discovered that the parts should be painted before assembly in most cases once you decide if you are going to be in flight or on the ground.  I wish I could find these in a smaller scale, say 1/350th for a project I have in mind that I'll introduce later. 

20 hours ago, NWarty said:

Looks awesome Blake! I actually just finished mine last night also. I have a Cosmo Zero en route, but I need to pick up the 2199 Falcon also.

Congrats, I'd be interested in seeing it

The 2199 kits are pretty awesome. They have so much stuff to build them in alternate landing configuration, or in flight, bomb bays open, different armament load outs etc...

17 hours ago, ikar said:

I have one of those waiting to be built.  Considering that these kits were put out in the early 70s at best and were designed to be done by kids, you have done very well.  I also have one of the other types of fighter that have been produced recently and they go together easily.  I discovered that the parts should be painted before assembly in most cases once you decide if you are going to be in flight or on the ground.  I wish I could find these in a smaller scale, say 1/350th for a project I have in mind that I'll introduce later. 

They did make a 1/350 Yamato prior to the 2199 series so I have seen 1/350 Cosmo Zeros and Black Tigers. Very expensive now though. Could also try shapeways maybe?