AF Huey Replacement Announced

I'm a bit surprised. I would have thought that either a H-60 or UH-1Y would be the obvious choice as those are platforms already in service with the DoD so it would be less cost to train assigned maintainers and crewman. I guess they thought more about what looked nicer for VIP transportation as that was one of the requirements.:hmmm:

It also came in at a lower cost than other options and will still be built in the US, hence the Boeing/Leonardo partnership.  Yes, VIP transport is one of the stated mission sets.  Looking nicer than the others is not a requirement to accomplish that mission set.

BTW, wasn't this aircraft originally an Augusta/ Bell product? 

Yes.

"Boeing and Leonardo's MH-139, a militarized version of the commercial AW139 manufactured by Leonardo, a subsidiary of AgustaWestland in Philadelphia."

Edited by HeavyArty
1 hour ago, Clinstone said:

1. The UH-1Y was not proposed by Bell.

2. The AW139 is a smaller aircraft than the H-60 and as such sustainment costs are lower

3. Costs to train new maintenance and aircrew would be about the same.

4. Aesthetic appeal was not a requirement.

Not sure on 2 and 3.  Just because it’s a smaller airframe, that doesn’t necessarily guarantee lower O&M costs.   I assumed that since the H-60 is currently in USAF service, training costs would be a bit less.   

You'd think that but the H-60 currently in service is a L-based G. The avionics/engines/powertrain for the U would be based on the M. Just because it looks like a H-60 doesn't mean the training would be the same. People would have to go through a full initial qualification in the aircraft lasting months whether it's a 139 or an H-60. The UH-1 and H-60 communities in the Air Force are separate right now so you're not gaining much in the way of economies of scale on the training front. Finally all of the H-1 maintenance is contracted out. All of the personnel would have to learn a new aircraft, it's not like they are going to be pulling active duty MX personnel from the H-60 world to fix the missile/DV helicopter units.

I’d be stunned if this does go ahead after the Agustawestland EH101 Marine 1 fiasco, but stranger things have happened at sea.

The 139 is a proven small to mid helicopter with a track record of operation around the globe, after its first faultering steps, its grown to be a work horse of the oil and gas industry in Europe, especially since the Airbus 225 has been withdrawn. AgustaWestland normally throw in the type courses when buying new aircraft, especially when you buy more and being used to sitting the engineers courses in the US and Italy, it’s a good basis to getting your hands on experience, especially if you have pervious helicopter experience. 

I recall the 101 mess and was looking it up trying to remember the type before your post. I see it different. Seems the powers that be want a AW bird. Probably a kick back for all the ones Westland did with US birds. As I recall Boeing needs some $, the military already threw a bone to Airbus (UH-72) and this is a perfect win/win for politicians, it will be an added bonus if does the mission that is needed.

I await the inevitable flood of appeals and lawsuits from the losing contractors.    Followed by findings that errors where made on the selection process, followed by a new bid and winner selected 2 years from now.   Seems to be the norm these days.  

Edited by 11bee
3 hours ago, 11bee said:

I await the inevitable flood of appeals and lawsuits from the losing contractors.    Followed by findings that errors where made on the selection process, followed by a new bid and winner selected 2 years from now.   Seems to be the norm theses days.  

My thoughts exactly!

7 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

Hopefully this decision will result in a 1/72 model kit of the AW139!

LD.

I second that. So many nice helicopters out there without a decent model kit. AW139, AW169, AW189, AW109 Power, AW159, AW149...

On 9/26/2018 at 8:12 PM, ice225 said:

I second that. So many nice helicopters out there without a decent model kit. AW139, AW169, AW189, AW109 Power, AW159, AW149...

The AW-109 Power can easily be built from the 1/72 ScaleWorx kit,

The military add-ons are cast as separate parts 😉

Real pity though that it won't be newly developed US replacement, as some really cool designs have been produced in the past. Another upgraded helo would be a bit boring for me. The AW-139 is good choice as a replacement, and not too bad to look at either 🙂

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:28 AM, Wafu said:

I’d be stunned if this does go ahead after the Agustawestland EH101 Marine 1 fiasco, but stranger things have happened at sea. 

The VH-71 "fiasco" was entirely, completely and without contradiction a Navair screw up, 110%. AW built and delivered the airframes ahead of time and below budget - the AW side of it was an outstanding success. Navair changed the spec on a seemingly hourly basis, and cut AW out of some of the classified requirements while expecting them to meet it. It was a fiasco instigated by Navair, not AW, they came out of it all roses, and fully paid for the airframes because they were on budget and ahead of schedule.
Sorry, but when people say "fiasco", I think it's important to lay blame where it belongs, and in this instance it wasn't the manufacturer. 

On 9/29/2018 at 10:45 AM, ScaleWorx said:

The AW-109 Power can easily be built from the 1/72 ScaleWorx kit,

The military add-ons are cast as separate parts 😉

Real pity though that it won't be newly developed US replacement, as some really cool designs have been produced in the past. Another upgraded helo would be a bit boring for me. The AW-139 is good choice as a replacement, and not too bad to look at either 🙂

That's a nice kit but I'm no big resin guy.