AF Huey Replacement Announced

On 9/25/2018 at 11:31 AM, Whiskey said:

I'm a bit surprised. I would have thought that either a H-60 or UH-1Y would be the obvious choice as those are platforms already in service with the DoD so it would be less cost to train assigned maintainers and crewman. I guess they thought more about what looked nicer for VIP transportation as that was one of the requirements.:hmmm:

I have a bunch of Blackhawks stationed nearby. See them fly over all the time. Over the last few years, I've come to know many crew members thru the VFW, and Legion. All have the same story. Reliability issues, and they can't take a beating like the old Huey! I was taken back by this and asked a former Gulf War pilot, and this was confirmed! I always thought they were really great.

Gary

10 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I have a bunch of Blackhawks stationed nearby. See them fly over all the time. Over the last few years, I've come to know many crew members thru the VFW, and Legion. All have the same story. Reliability issues, and they can't take a beating like the old Huey! I was taken back by this and asked a former Gulf War pilot, and this was confirmed! I always thought they were really great.

Gary

Ask a current BH pilot which airframe he'd rather fly into combat.   Might get a slightly different answer.....  

13 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Gary

I believe it. My dad flew Hueys up until the mid-90's and was also 60 qualified but he never had a bad word to say about a Huey. Any time I would have to do a mission involving Blackawks I would always try to talk to the crew and a lot of them would tell me 60's are a joy to fly but a maintenance PIA.