G.W.H - 1/72 F-14D TOMCAT

• 3 weeks later...

Luckymodel is advertising the GWH 1/72 F-14A kit now and have it for preorder. Has decals for the early VF-1 scheme and includes the early style boat tail. I hope they do the same for the 1/48 version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 8:35 AM, Mstor said:

Luckymodel is advertising the GWH 1/72 F-14A kit now and have it for preorder. Has decals for the early VF-1 scheme and includes the early style boat tail. I hope they do the same for the 1/48 version.

Hmm... so no signs of the later style beaver tail and gun vent in the upcoming F-14A?

Well, perhaps more releases are on the way.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:35 AM, Mstor said:

Anyone know when GWH will release their 1/48th scale one?

7 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Hmm... so no signs of the later style beaver tail and gun vent in the upcoming F-14A?

Well, perhaps more releases are on the way.

There are two marking schemes provided. The VF-1 scheme with the original beaver tail and seven opening gun vent and a VF-41 scheme with a later boat tail but the same seven opening gun vent. I have found no close up pics of the parts sprues so don't know if there is a later style gun vent part. They've only shown a diagram of all the sprues. There a number of parts marked as not used. Perhaps there is a newer gun vent there. Will have to wait until more info is released.

58 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

The F-14D comes with this gun vent in addition to the NACA vent. I'm told by the Tomcat gurus that this vent is incorrect for any variant.

vQ9to4w.jpg

You have been told correctly. The standard gun vent as seen above shouldn't have the grill at the rear. That only goes with the NACA vents. 

6 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

You have been told correctly. The standard gun vent as seen above shouldn't have the grill at the rear. That only goes with the NACA vents. 

Indeed so. Some filler and sanding necessary, but looks doable.

Btw, that mid style gun vent looks a wee bit soft in detail compared to, say, Hasegawa.

6 minutes ago, Solo said:

So strange, my F-14D has quite different part:

Perhaps your box has two similar sprues with a part for the gun vent?

On 7/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, Darren Roberts said:

I like how they handled the boat tail and engine shrouds for different variants. That's a novel approach if the fit is good.

All I want to know is if I can build a 1975 Tomcat with it. As for the wing issue, there are several Fujimi Tomcats buried away in my stash! 

Gary

On 7/22/2019 at 9:34 AM, ghatherly said:

I would suggest that you contact them and point out the issues you have.  Most all of the companies farm out the Decal Art work, ( I know GWH did this for the F-15 series). to private parties and don't get into the details as you do.   They may very well do as you mention,  but you  will never know if you don't ask.  It may save you lots of unnecessary aggravation.

GH

PS:  I really like you stuff!

Did he copyright his art work? If so, I'd make them pay thru the nose!

Gary

• 5 months later...

How is this GWH kit compared to the Fine Molds kit?  Its so much more expensive, and I already have both the Fine Molds kits, would I be missing out on this or is this GWH substantially better than FM?  I do love the early VF-1 Wolfpack scheme though.

10 hours ago, wm_cheng said:

How is this GWH kit compared to the Fine Molds kit?

Difficult question. I think GWH is a little bit better kit, but FM has few advantages. Both has got very good panel lines, subtle and thin and beautiful details.

GWH left, MF right.

HTVj5ML.jpg

NFrkAQS.jpg

17 hours ago, wm_cheng said:

How is this GWH kit compared to the Fine Molds kit?

I've read in another forum that there's something off in the wingtips of the Fine Molds kit. I've overlayed a Grumman drawings with scans of the FM and GWH wing.

<deleted pics>

Edited by Laurent

Thanks @Solo - very clear, looks like I can't miss the GWH version especially their VF-1 Wolfpack now, its just so expensive for a 1/72 scale kit.  Hard now to think I would ever build my Hasegawa stash 😞

@Laurent Thanks, but I can't actually see the JPGs - I don't think the attachment got posted.

22 minutes ago, wm_cheng said:

Thanks, but I can't actually see the JPGs - I don't think the attachment got posted.

They got posted as I can see them on my phone also. Try copy-pasting the URL.

42 minutes ago, Laurent said:

They got posted as I can see them on my phone also. Try copy-pasting the URL.

Can't find the URL - this is what I see;

GWH

grummanVsGWH.jpg

FM

grummanVsFM.jpg

Its just text, I can't click on them or right click to reveal any URL - sorry I'm kind of new at this.  Hmm, if I right click, there's a "reload image" - when I do that, it gives a blank space below the words but no image still.  Am I the only one that can't see the image?  I've tried on both Firefox and Chrome and turned off my AdBlock Plus and its still the same.

58 minutes ago, wm_cheng said:

Can't find the URL - this is what I see;

GWH

grummanVsGWH.jpg

FM

grummanVsFM.jpg

Its just text, I can't click on them or right click to reveal any URL - sorry I'm kind of new at this.  Hmm, if I right click, there's a "reload image" - when I do that, it gives a blank space below the words but no image still.  Am I the only one that can't see the image?  I've tried on both Firefox and Chrome and turned off my AdBlock Plus and its still the same.

Weird. These are just the names of the files. I'll host on Imgur.

GWH

K4ec0PG.jpg

Fine Molds

I4gyy7P.jpg

Bonus... Academy

fweYbT2.jpg

Edited by Laurent

Thanks @Laurent - man I didn't know the FM was that far off.  Damn, I loved those kits.  I guess if I don't start building my stash, I'll never get to any of them as something better keeps coming along to supplant them (I don't even want to build any of my Hasegawas now).

11 hours ago, Solo said:

@Laurent, nice comparison. What about another: maybe shape of fuselage? I wonder who made the most accurate shape of that bird.

There would be too much optical distortion. I didn't post yet but given that the drawings of the painting instructions are probably standard views of the CAD model, I've overlayed these to the Grumman drawings. Too late to post.

There seems to be two categories of kits in terms of profile of the front fuselage:

1) deep: distance between the fuselage bottom and top canopy is bigger than in the Grumman drawings.

Hasegawa...

YNPc5BC.jpg

Fine Molds...

mLKDt3s.jpg

Since Fine Molds was founded by former Hasegawa employees AFAIK, similar reference material may have been used.

2): slim: canopy curve and bottom fuselage  match the Grumman drawings.

Academy...

CyKXbth.jpg

GWH...

tJRoc1f.jpg

The match between the Grumman drawing and the GWH profile is particularly tight. Same thing in top view...

dE4XliM.jpg

Edited by Laurent