G.W.H - 1/72 F-14D TOMCAT

On 5/18/2019 at 11:46 PM, ya-gabor said:

Has anybody seen this little news???

It is a 14D Tomcat and its is due in June. OK which year you can ask. As far as it is know in 2019. So it is just around the corner.

According to the FB postings I’ve seen, those are production sprues and the kit is in production to ship in the next couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

Well, I found the first flaw, and it's 

a big one!

Well, don't keep us sitting here in suspense. What is it? After a quick look, the only flaw I could find was that its not 1/48 scale :naughty:

5 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Well, don't keep us sitting here in suspense. What is it? After a quick look, the only flaw I could find was that its not 1/48 scale 

To me, where that spine termonates, it looks too pronounced.

My first impression (wheels aside) is that it looks impressive, especially for a 1/72 kit.
The panel lines and surface detail looks nicer than some 1/48 offerings.
Will be interesting to see it built up.

The spine termination and bulges above the wing pivots look a bit too pronounced, but the lighting on the plastic seems to highlight and possibly exaggerate these areas. I think they might look fine under a coat of paint.
AIM-9 look pretty good for 1/72, though the connector ring at the front of the fuse is overdone. I would have preferred having 2 of the front fins separate (like the rear) so that they could be molded thinner.

The one issue that jumped out at me was the intakes. While they do appear to be OK in shape and detail (they even have the obvious gear strut locking detail, missing from even the best Tomcat kit), they have 2 big, ugly holes for mounting the fuel tank pylons.
The problem?
They also have molded-in mounting points (4 small circles) for the pylons that don't match those holes. Their rear set of mounting points is off and should align with the forward set, but the 2 big holes would have you attach the pylon are in the wrong location.

I hope they fix this for the 1/48 version (and the 1/32 to follow!).

Pylon_mounts_zpssknem3ch.jpg

:cheers:

15 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

AIM-9 look pretty good for 1/72, though the connector ring at the front of the fuse is overdone. I would have preferred having 2 of the front fins separate (like the rear) so that they could be molded thinner.

:cheers:

Agree with you. The connector ring at the fron of the fuse is thick, that is what I see wird.

1 hour ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Ok, I’ve tried all day.

Am I the only one who can’t open this link? 🤔

Nope, I got it to open once, though it took about 15 minutes to load. Have not been able to get it to load since.

2 hours ago, Zactoman said:

I thought I was looking at Revell sidewinders at first.

5 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Underwhelmed.   Wheels are a joke.  

Underwhelmed because you don't like the wheels?  

Sheesh...

Where are you guys seeing closeup photos of the wheels in the first place?  The only one in this thread is so small you can't tell anything about them except that they're round.

Edited by Sleepy
9 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Sheesh...

Where are you guys seeing closeup photos of the wheels in the first place?  The only one in this thread is so small you can't tell anything about them except that they're round. 

In Manuel's post of the Moxdao link. It takes forever to load (if it will load at all), but contains many closeup photos of the kit parts, including the wheels.

2 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Sheesh...

It’s not just the wheels, but yes, they are bad.  Click on the Maxdao link above.  

Edited by Falconxlvi