G.W.H - 1/72 F-14D TOMCAT

Hmmmm .... I confess, I have to concurr with B.Sin's assessment. The end of the spine really looks quite .... off. In fact the entire shape of the spine seems kind of "fishy" to me if you look dead on from the top. There seems to be some ever so slight curve in there that starts around the center wingbox beam which is admittedly hardly noticeable but somehow kind of screw up the entire form of the spine for me. Also the bulges of the fairings above the wing pivots are way too overpronounced in my eyes. The detail is nice though. Hmmmmm .... not so sure what to make of it?! At the moment I'm not very much "yeeeyyy".

Edited by bushande
5 hours ago, bushande said:

...the entire shape of the spine seems kind of "fishy" ... There seems to be some ever so slight curve in there ... .

Gadzooks, there sure seems to be an unbelievable amount of expert negativity permeating F-14 threads on ARC ... no matter which scale.  :dontknow: 

Thankfully my ignorance is bliss, and I'm looking forward to this kit to sit alongside my Fujimi and Fine Mold Tomcats. 

Gene K

On 7/11/2019 at 1:58 PM, bushande said:

Well .... is what it is.😬

Great assessment, thanks. 

The mailman delivered my kit from Lucky Model yesterday, and in the box all "seems" (to use your favorite word) to be outstanding. :wave:

That's a novel approach if the fit is good.

Darren, please PM me if I can check some specific fits for you.

Gene K

22 minutes ago, GeneK said:

The mailman delivered my kit from Lucky Model yesterday, and in the box all "seems" (to use your favorite word) to be outstanding. :wave:

Gene K

My goodnes relax, will you. You don't need to get cocky and patronising because people have a different view than yours.

My assessment stands as it is and at least I am still relativising enough to use a word such as "seem" contrary to others.

You just be happy with your purchase.

48 minutes ago, GeneK said:

Gene, are there alternate decal options in the box besides full color VF-2?

6 hours ago, bushande said:

My goodnes relax, will you. You don't need to get cocky and patronising because people have a different view than yours.

Sorry, I just got tired of all the unsubstantiated negativity, especially yours.

Gene K

10 hours ago, bushande said:

My assessment stands as it is and at least I am still relativising enough to use a word such as "seem" contrary to others.

You just be happy with your purchase.

Of course he does.  This is ARC.  It's what we do.

The decals are for VF-2 Retro 1997 jet and CAG/line jet from 1995.

I’m calling GWH out in public - GWH copied the names from my (FIGHTERTOWN DECALS 48086) 1997/98 profile for their decals. How do I know? I picked that jet because it was crewed by friends of mine at VF-24 who both went to VF-2 after 1996. GWH did the 1995 version but used my 1997/98 names (and a gear door name which I know of no reference for other than the picture I took on the flightline one day and have never published). No way they could magically have come up with the same names when they wouldn’t be at the squadron for at least another year.  You can look up the cruisebooks from both cruises online btw. And for the 1995 CAG jet, they copied the 105 OIF names we did from 2003 - wtf?! To make it worse, they used the wrong fonts too... So to GWH - I know you stole and copied my work! How about a little credit. Or at the least next time, ask. I'm really open to and happy to help out.

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
15 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

So to GWH - I know you stole and copied my work! How about a little credit. Or at the least next time, ask. I'm really open to and happy to help out.

Hopefully they'll learn after being outed by such a respected and admired modeler and businessman as yourself!

Gene K

On 7/19/2019 at 8:45 PM, GeneK said:

Sorry, I just got tired of all the unsubstantiated negativity, especially yours.

Gene K

You just couldn't let it rest could you?! And you had to drop in those neat little personal attacks that are going to turn this thread into yet another popcorn-personal aggression issues-thread that will go on about anything but the kit in question, right?! Great attitude! I thought, that modellers give their impressions according to what's available before anyone shells out hard earned dough were one of the actual meanings of such threads, especially since kits become ever more expensive. Or is that one of these "oh gee there's something new, shut up and take my money!"-threads? Yes, sometimes those conclusions based on what's available are not just happy happy joy joy. If you can't stand that, just skip the thread after the first announcement and go buy whatever you want for whatever amount you feel and just be happy with it. And heck, I wasn't even the first / only one that recognized the apparent flaws.

YOU are the one in this thread who already shelled out his bugs for the kit. If you wanted to do something remotely constructive against all the terrible negativity you would have already taken some shots of the sprues in question, looked up some refs of the original and would have given some of your desired substance to the opposite to all the oh so bad comments instead of riding on a person's relativized posts (oposite to the behaviour of others!) just because it got in your face and become unprofessional where it just doesn't belong. There's just no reason to get that personal. I don't know you, you don't know me and for all that's worth you couldn't care less about my so called negativity as much as I couldn't give a bigger *** about your self-proclaimed ignorance. You do whatever you want but don't drag it down to a personal level. There's just no need. It's a feckin' kit in girl's scale and nothing more. Just be happy with what you bought and leave it be.

Edited by bushande
On 7/19/2019 at 10:10 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

The decals are for VF-2 Retro 1997 jet and CAG/line jet from 1995.

I’m calling GWH out in public - GWH copied the names from my (FIGHTERTOWN DECALS 48086) 1997/98 profile for their decals. How do I know? I picked that jet because it was crewed by friends of mine at VF-24 who both went to VF-2 after 1996. GWH did the 1995 version but used my 1997/98 names (and a gear door name which I know of no reference for other than the picture I took on the flightline one day and have never published). No way they could magically have come up with the same names when they wouldn’t be at the squadron for at least another year.  You can look up the cruisebooks from both cruises online btw. And for the 1995 CAG jet, they copied the 105 OIF names we did from 2003 - wtf?! To make it worse, they used the wrong fonts too... So to GWH - I know you stole and copied my work! How about a little credit. Or at the least next time, ask. I'm really open to and happy to help out.

I would suggest that you contact them and point out the issues you have.  Most all of the companies farm out the Decal Art work, ( I know GWH did this for the F-15 series). to private parties and don't get into the details as you do.   They may very well do as you mention,  but you  will never know if you don't ask.  It may save you lots of unnecessary aggravation.

GH

PS:  I really like you stuff!

Edited by ghatherly

I got my kit in-hand yesterday and it looks VERY nice! It quickly jumped to the top of the he build pile. 

I like how the exhaust cans were engineered. Should make for easy detail painting.

cjAwTPr.jpg

1Tk3rl2.jpg

Also, having an IFR probe is a nice option

xu1Q4fZ.jpg

It's clearly engineered for other variants--different gun vents and rear boarding steps

sgYN0KH.jpg

And one-piece intake trunks

bWndz5Q.jpg

I won't lose sleep over the spine shape

Y9DF56o.jpg

8 hours ago, picknpluck said:

I got my kit in-hand yesterday and it looks VERY nice! It quickly jumped to the top of the he build pile. 

I like how the exhaust cans were engineered. Should make for easy detail painting.

cjAwTPr.jpg

1Tk3rl2.jpg

Also, having an IFR probe is a nice option

xu1Q4fZ.jpg

It's clearly engineered for other variants--different gun vents and rear boarding steps

sgYN0KH.jpg

And one-piece intake trunks

bWndz5Q.jpg

I won't lose sleep over the spine shape

Y9DF56o.jpg

La imagen puede contener: avión

Those bulges are there on the original however. They are just a tad overpronounced on the kit; is all. In fact you can even make them out on the ref pic above your post. If you look closely at the port side (lower side) where the light hit's the jet you can make the stronger pivot section out. Some sanding and rescribing should solve that issue quite easily. The spine obviously does have a dent, that the original doesn't have but to each his own whether that is something to be bugged about or not. I for one would work that out with some proper amount of putty and sanding. In my eyes much more """pressing""" was the end where the spine merges with the rear fuselage. It seemed from the pics available before that it was way too round and long. However, on Manuel's pic of the uppper fuselage halve it looks much less pronounced that on the pics posted before. There are older and less detailed kits out there that caught the shape better in my eyes but all in all the flaws in shape appear to be easily manageable contrary to other kits which is a good thing.

Still not a kit I'd shell 40+ bugs out for but half the price it would definitely be a go for me.

Thanks for posting the pics Manuel!

Edited by bushande

Thanks for pointing out the bulge, I see it now. But as you say, some reworking may be in order to reduce its shape.

The spine... any error there still eludes me.

It’s possible that the upper section behind the cockpit is a bit too ’pinched’, but I’d wait for a built-up example (where the forward fuselage and GPS dome insert has been added) to better see the overall shape.

But still, think I will wait for an F-14A to show up before jumping in.

1B0AAAC4-9CDE-4DAF-97E8-4A76B4D68401.jpeg

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
  • 3 months later...